What does your average day look like?

What does your average day look like and do you have any go to foods/tips to share?
Gradually piled on weight and seeking advice towards shifting it again

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2017
    What does your average day look like and do you have any go to foods/tips to share?

Shifting it or getting rid of it?

No advice really needed - you won't learn much from others and just really have to do it for yourself. Figure out your calorie targets via MFP, measure and log your food accurately, and keep you food intake where you want it to be over time. That's really all you need to know.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    9am: small snack to tide me over till lunchtime. ~200 cals.

12pm: decent-sized lunch, usually leftovers or a sandwich. ~500 cals.

6pm: dinner and dessert. ~700 cals.

If I earn some exercise calories during the day, they usually go into my evening calories.

The key is tracking accurately with a kitchen scale and sticking to a reasonable deficit. Eat whatever you want as long as it fits into your calorie goal. Good luck!

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Yeah, you really need to figure out what works for you. The best diet is the one you can stick to! My totally idiosyncratic method that I've been refining for a few months now:

7:00: Coffee with milk and sugar, string cheese

9:00 String cheese (these three I count as "breakfast" at 185 calories, and I only drink water in the AM)

11:00 Hard boiled egg

12:00 Fruit, veggies, meat, and cheese, maybe a small portion of leftovers, nuts, olives, etc

2:00 Dried fruit, occasionally a piece of chocolate (this all together counts as "lunch" at around 450-500 calories)

3:30 Ice tea with zero-cal sweetener

6:00 Small snack, usually cheese and olives (around 100-150 calories)

7:30 Whatever my spouse has cooked for dinner, a small glass of milk (very roughly about 550 calories, usually over-estimated)

9:30 Small snack, maybe a beer or cider, popcorn or something sweet (usually between 150 and 400 calories)

And then once or twice a week I go out drinking, which really ups that last snack category.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    7:30 am: Oatmeal with natural peanut butter and coffee (300 calories)
    10:00am: apple (100)
    12:00 some kind of wrap (usually chick pea salad on a p28 protein wrap), raw veggies, yogurt (400-450)
    3:00 pm: almonds or dry roasted edamame (170)
    6:00 pm: Dinner, usually varies but always has a veggie (around 400 calories)
    8:00 pm dessert, halo top ice cream or chobani flip Greek yogurt (200 calories)

I like to eat often throughout the day, it helps keep me satisfied. I also try to have a serving of fat with each of my meals because that keeps me fuller longer. I have CLA but not because they help you lose belly fat (that is ridiculous) but because they are a dose of fat so if I do not have a healthy fat with my meal I take those for the same effect. They are expensive though so I only use them in a pinch, you can get the same effect with peanut butter, olive oil, or avocado, etc. I like snacks that are crunchy (hence the apple and almonds) because I find they are more satisfying for me. I also have cocoa roasted almonds if I want a sweet snack that day.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I wake up around 5:30, bathroom and put on exercise clothes with work (office) clothes on top of them. Drink a protein shake and then commute to gym.

Spin class or weights class. Shower, dress, makeup. Walk or commute to office.

Drink coffee. Eat banana. Eat string cheese, if necessary; ditto energy bar. Work.

Go out for lunch; which is generally shopping or library. Eat apple. Eat peanut butter on whole wheat if really hungry.

Finish work. Commute home. Make and eat dinner; usually chicken cutlet or fish, vegetables raw and steamed. An ounce of chocolate for dessert.

Evening activity varies; always includes packing my gym bag and setting out my clothes for the next day!

Crawl into bed like 9:45.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You have to find something that works for you! You'd fall asleep from my day, long before I got to "brush teeth". Even I did, yesterday :#
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Shifting it or getting rid of it?

No advice really needed - you won't learn much from others and just really have to do it for yourself. Figure out your calorie targets via MFP, measure and log your food accurately, and keep you food intake where you want it to be over time. That's really all you need to know.

They are synonymous in the UK ;)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Well, first tip would be to try and figure out what lead to you regaining. I know you've asked questions on the forum before. What haven't you got out of that that you need? What about your past losing was unsustainable for you?
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    What my day looks like today-

up at 6ish/black coffee with a bit of splenda

10ish-2 slices of sprouted whole grains bread, toasted, with 2 triangles of light cheese spread on top/can diet soda

2pm-granola bar (in van heading home from errands)

2:30pm-3 ounces chicken breast, shredded, with 1tbsp fat free ranch dressing (mixed together), on top of a whole grain flat bread, with black olives and tomatoes; cup of black coffee with a bit of splenda

Now it's 4:30 and I'm up to my eyeballs blanching collard greens, turnip greens, spinach, kale, rainbow chard, beet stems and broccoleaf. After I get this all processed I'll use some of it for my green smoothie, around 6pm, (the rest will be frozen in disks for future green smoothies). Green smoothie today is 1c of fat free milk, the veggie mix, a banana and then strawberries.

7ish I'll have sauteed mushrooms (olive oil), with cauliflower rice, broccoli and green onions. With a side of red bell pepper and fat free ranch dressing; cup of black doffee with a bit of splenda

I follow a modified DASH diet protocol for a healthy eating pattern.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    What my day looks like works for me and my particular needs and is patterned uniquely to work with my schedule/appetite/satiety/compliance issues.

Your needs/wants/satiety/compliance issues won't be the same.

I came into this after many years of failed weight loss attempts and in the process of reading these forums I discovered that the very least all of those "failures" did was teach me valuable lessons about what was and was not workable for me.

So ask yourself some questions now. What led to your weight regain? What can you do differently this time to prevent that from happening? What can you do differently to keep it from happening again?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    I played around with what I ate until I found what worked for me.

My typical day on my self-created "microwave diet":

Tea
    Frozen breakfast sandwich + square of chocolate
    Tea
    Oatmeal
    Tea
    Frozen dinner with a bag of frozen veggies
    Tea
    Protein bar
    Tea
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Up at 5:00
    Coffee about 7:00
    Breakfast about 9:30, usually plain greek yogurt with protein powder and berries
    Lunch around 1:00 - currently on a chicken wrap kick, today with a side of cherries
    Snack about 3:00 - almost always a protein bar
    Gym after work
    Dinner around 8:00 - whatever the fam is having
    Dessert around 8:30 - ice cream or chocolate or sour patch kids, depending on how many calories/macros I have left
    Bed
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Every few months it changes as I increase my fitness level. We can all tell you what we do but you will still need to find what works for you.

My days usually look like this now:
    Wake up and drink coffee
    Work
    Lunch 200-400 cals
    Back to work
    Afternoon snack - protein shake usually
    Work out- 2hr when I have class, 30-60 min the rest of the week
    Shower
    Dinner 600-800 cals
    Tv
    Sometimes a small evening snack. Lately the coconut noosa yogurts are my go to. They are high cal but on boxing days I have cals to spare and enjoy the treat after the hard work
  • pittmanclan545
    pittmanclan545 Posts: 22 Member
    My average day...

5am wake up
    Breakfast : egg, coffee
    Run 3-5 miles
    Work
    Snack/lunch/dinner.. 300-500 calories
    PM: gym.. strength training plus 20 minutes cardio or 4 mile walk
    Home.. activia yogurt, tea

Pretty basic. I allow myself one cheat day a week (Sunday). I don't do any formal exercising or calorie counting.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    My average day...

5am wake up
    Breakfast : egg, coffee
    Run 3-5 miles
    Work
    Snack/lunch/dinner.. 300-500 calories
    PM: gym.. strength training plus 20 minutes cardio or 4 mile walk
    Home.. activia yogurt, tea

Pretty basic. I allow myself one cheat day a week (Sunday). I don't do any formal exercising or calorie counting.

Please tell us that's 300-500 calories each for snack/lunch/dinner.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    I do intermittent fasting, so I only eat between 12p-and 8pm

About noon: usually a sandwich with a veggie patty, veggie bacon and some kind of spread, maybe a serving of chips, usually watermelon, or a cookie or 2

About 4-4:30: some kind of Amy's frozen dinner

Around 7:30: (on days I work) an egg white veggie omelette with an English muffin
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I get up in the morning and prelog my food for the whole day starting with dinner then lunch, breakfast and a snack. Prelogging helps me stick to my goals better.
    Then I eat breakfast and go about my day.
    I have a pedometer and try to get 8,000 steps minimum now and often get 10,000. I have to purposefully walk or I would get less than 3,000 steps.
    I eat at home except lunch on Saturday or Sunday.
  • Javagal2778
    Javagal2778 Posts: 74 Member
    I measure, pack and log my food the night before so that I can basically function on autopilot Mon-Fri.
    4:50am-Breakfast- 1 large egg and egg whites omelette with veggies; small dish of strawberries & blueberries; black coffee. I take a second black coffee for the car ride across town to the gym.
    8am- post workout snack- protein bar
    11am- snack-1/2 c. Low fat cottage cheese & some type of fruit
    2:30pm-lunch-meat; salad; steamed veggie or fruit.
    6pm-dinner-meat; 2 cooked veggies and/or salad; sometimes a starchier carb like sweet potato, potato, rice, etc.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    My average:

Get up around 8:00 AM
    Coffee with 1/2 &1/2, egg, 1/2 English muffin and 1 tsp butter

Lunch: sandwich with 1 slice high fiber bread, 2 oz sandwich meat, fruit, yogurt

Head to the pool, do 1 mile laps then a water aerobics class

Dinner: salad of some kind (currently cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions with balsamic vinegar) and whatever stew I made in my crockpot

Bedtime snack: protein bar, almonds, yogurt.

1600 calories base. Pool day gives me about 900 extra

Overall, I average about 1900 calories per day. Some days more, some less depending on whether I am at the pool or not