Best Protein Bars & Shakes

Options
madisontaylor4
madisontaylor4 Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys!
I am just starting my weight loss journey and I need some help with finding the best protein bars and shakes. I would love some recommendations. Thanks!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Neither of those help with "weight loss." Only a calorie deficit does that.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    What do you think protein bars and shake add to weight loss?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Protein bars and shakes are food, just like anything else you eat. There's nothing magical about them. The way you lose weight is eating less calories than you burn. Protein bars and shakes can be part of that, but they don't have to be, and they won't make you lose weight any faster/more efficiently than any other foods of equivalent calories.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Protein bars and shakes do not directly help with weight loss of course, but healthy eating does. And protein bars and protein shakes can be useful in that goal.

I found for myself protein bars were very useful, as they are single-serving, easily tucked in a purse or desk or lunchbox, and many of them are quite delicious.

I found Cliff, Simply Protein, Kashi and Kind were all good choices. All of these brands have a lot of flavor varieties. Wal-Mart offers a protein bar that's pretty inexpensive and OK.

Do be aware that protein bars vary a lot in sugar, calories, nutrition and macros like fiber. Just because something is labelled "protein bar" doesn't mean it is a great snack choice--really check the nutrition.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I really like the protein shake I use for breakfast. It is called Sunwarrior, Warrior Blend, chocolate flavor. It is plant-based (no whey), only 100cal, good amino acids, and pretty filling! I mix it with water and a little almond milk (almond milk is 30cal) in a shaker bottle. I drink it during my drive to work in the morning, then follow it up with a small snack like an apple or yogurt a few hours later. All in all, breakfast is usually around 200cal and I'm good til lunch.

Protein bars though - I haven't found "the one" yet. Quest bars are pretty tasty.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are good if you have no other option, but I find a meal packed with veggies and protein much more satisfying for the calories.

I use shakes to boost my protein macros and sneak in even more veggies by packing them with spinach.

Neither is a meal, just a way to hold me over until I can eat properly.
  • hannys
    hannys Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I sometimes drink Premier Protein drinks (vanilla and chocolate are both good, IMO) if I'm super pressed for time and know it'll be a while until I can eat an actual meal (4 young kids, so it happens some days!). Or I'll drink one on the way to the gym if I haven't had time to eat breakfast yet but desperately need a break from my kids - the YMCA is my alone time since they all go to the daycare there!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,980 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    OP: Assuming the reason that you want to use protein bars and powder (to make shakes) is to increase your protein intake, the BEST are those that provide the most protein with the fewest cals at the lowest cost.

On this basis, I prefer Pure Protein bars and Cytosport Muscle Milk whey isolate which I buy at Costco. I also buy MyProtein whey isolate online but it only qualifies on cost when you can get it on sale at a 35% discount which is routinely offered; just don't buy it at full price.

Of course, you want bars and powders that taste good too but taste is pretty subjective and the only way to decide what tastes best to you is taste it yourself. So, if in doubt, buy a small amount before placing a large order.
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!
    I am just starting my weight loss journey and I need some help with finding the best protein bars and shakes. I would love some recommendations. Thanks!
    I understood EXACTLY what you're question was. I drink premier protein drinks or the bars . If you want something cheaper try pure protein. Idk why people think just being in a 'deficit' is the only key to weightloss . You NEED protein to keep your muscle mass and/or to add on .
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Neither of those help with "weight loss." Only a calorie deficit does that.

But that wasn't her question . She wants to consume protein that's why she asked for recommendations also yes it doesn't help weight loss but it SUPPORTS weight loss . It helps you from not losing your muscle mass and always feeling hungry and gives you energy to workout . It's IMPORTANT.
  • SisepuedeLinda
    SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I drink Garden of Life raw organic meal with 20 grams of protein in it and 22 superfoods as well. It's nondairy and only 110 calories. It keeps me pretty satisfied for a while for breakfast until my first snack. Protein is important in weight loss so it's a good idea that you are trying to get a lot in your diet. But Honestly Whichever shake you choose to use can aid in losing weight is what I find as long as you stay in your calorie goal :) I also like cliff bar sierra trail it's the best one to me. It tastes the closest to a cookie lol.
  • Angied725
    Angied725 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Getting enough protein in your diet without going over calories and other macros can be difficult. I have looked up the best protein shakes (healthiest for your body, with some being GMO free and free of artificial sweeteners and preservatives) the list I got were:
    *Promix Grass-fed Whey Protein
    *Paleo Protein Pure Egg
    *Sun Warrior Warrior Blend Protein Powder
    *Vega One All-In-One Nutritional Shake
    *Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein
    *Aloha Superfood Protein
    *Amazing Grass Protein Superfood
    *Garden of Life Sport
    You can see the best and worst and reasons they're rated that way at: www.eatthis.com/protein-powders

I'm looking for what's best for your body as a whole, so ingredients are important....name brands like muscle milk will try to convince you they're best for all your exercise needs, but I prefer to know what's going into my body and potential side effects, adverse reactions, or long-term potential problems that may be caused by their ingredients!
    Like anything else, it's really going to come down to preference and what your priorities and values in a supplement are.
    Best of luck on your journey!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    THIS FOR THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE NO CLUE ON WHAT THEIR TALKING ABOUT

Protein is very IMPORTANT. I'm pretty sure she knows that it's not gonna lose the weight for her . You can be in a 'deficit' and lose weight but guess what? Without protein you'll be losing muscle mass also which would result in slower weight loss . The more muscle you have the more calories you burn ... protein keeps you full for a longer period of time and it also gives you energy . This is why a lot off people fail their diets most of the time because their not getting the proper nutrition and it leads them to always feeling hungry and over eating . That was a issue I ran into in the past . Losing weight isn't all about a deficit . Protein and fiber is very important. Lack of those in the past is the reason why i failed. Once I started getting my proper nutrition I never feel hungry most of the time ...sometimes I have to force myself to eat because I don't feel hungry. You wanna lose weight and look healthy and strong.

No one said protein wasn't important. They were pointing out that protein POWDERS AND BARS are not necessary for weight loss.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    For me, Grenade Carb Killa bars win every time, and I've tried a lot.
    They're not cheap, but they are SO tasty.

They also do good ready mixed shakes, but I only drink them when I get them free with an order. Otherwise, I'm a MyProtein Impact Whey girl.
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    The best tasting protein bar IMO are Grenade Carb Killa. They taste great, but dont really have much to compare against as every other protein bar ive tried tastes like cardboard and threatens to render you toothless when attempting to chew :D

Protein powder, i buy unflavoured whey 80 from any of the bulk suppliers here in the UK, depending on which has the best deal on at the time. Myprotein, GoNutrition, Bulkpowders, Theproteinworks are examples. Flavdrops from myprotein to add flavour.

It's worth that neither are necessary whatsoever in losing weight, and i only eat protein bars when im ill prepared with regards food
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    For protein powder: I personally like MyProtein Impact Whey - love the coffee caramel flavour but have ordered most of the samples of other flavours, most taste good, only one I wasn't a fan of was blueberry cheesecake as it was a bit too buttery tasting. It's decent quality, it has BCAAs added and around 20g Protein per scoop.

For protein bars: I swapped out some of my sweet treats for protein bars to increase my protein intake when I am lifting or doing excessive cardio to help with recovery so not too worried about calorie count on them, I choose them purely for the taste - Bounce Protein Bombs (Almond and Choc Mint my faves), Pulsin Mint Choc Chip and Fulfil bars in any flavour.

@HarlemNY17 I have to echo the sentiments of others who have been around the boards long enough to know that unless you are the poster, you can't assume the most common sense version of the question is what they intended, there are plenty of people (sadly) who think that protein bars/shakes are the key to weight loss. Whilst this may not be what the OP meant, the fact that she specified she was at the beginning of her weight loss journey could imply that it is, there are plenty of lurkers on the forums who this might need to be clarified for.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Grenade carb killa or Oh Yeah one bars are my go to. TheProteinWorks whey and oat crisp flapjack bars are also very good.

Boxes of Oh Yeah's are buy one get one free at the moment, so they win.

As for powder, I just go for whichever of the usual suspects, myprotein, TheProteinWorks, Bulk powders, gonutrition, have the best offer on. I find you can't really go wrong with a plain flavour like strawberry, banana or chocolate mint.
  • crmothorpe
    crmothorpe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just heard about RXBars. Look pretty legit in my mind (but I'm sure not everyone's, however). Have some samples on the way...