Cleansing?

Options
Bryanime1
Bryanime1 Posts: 5 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay, I'm a little confused on this one. What does cleansing actually do? Does it actually do anything at all? I've heard that does and it doesn't. Any thoughts?

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It almost certainly will lead to weight loss, as all the cleanses I've heard of involve severe calorie restriction. But as soon as you stop the cleanse, you will regain the weight lost. As for improving organ function or metabolism or getting rid of "toxins" or whatever, it's all hooey. People who want to sell you cleanses or who don't want to admit (even to themselves) that they were fleeced will tell you cleanses work. Reputable sources will tell you not to bother.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Apart from emptying bowels and possibley disrupt gut flora, it has no real effects, but it can make you feel like you're doing something. Just counting calories and eating whatever you want is a hard sell because it doesn't feel like you're doing anything special.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Cleanse from what? ... think about it.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    deleted...
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Without knowing what happened or how it happened, I lost 4 lb last week. That's what the various cleanse products promise. Without knowing what happened or how it happened, I gained 4 lb in the last 2 days. That's exactly what will happen after all the cleanse protocols are completed. If you want to lose some weight fast, you can dump your bowel contents, that's all they promise.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

Nothing works to lose fat other than calorie deficit. Period. Nothing cleanses toxins from your body than your organs, whose function that is.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Cleansing from lead could be a possibility if you were exposed in a factory. BUT... they would send you to a doctor after running blood work.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Another gimmick
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Most cleanses you can buy or find a recipe for online include a variety of natural diuretics or laxatives, including things like senna, dandelion root, etc. These force your body to let go of a couple of pounds of water or waste, which looks like a small victory but will come back once the laxatives and diuretics aren't in play anymore. The best of them are mostly harmless but also useless. They don't get rid of anything your body wouldn't handle on its own. And the worst of them can be quite nasty to your system. Some of them could fall into the category of laxative abuse if you took it long enough.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Take it from someone who fell prey to the cleanse hype and tried quite a few in years past, it does absolutely nothing...except give you diarrhea.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    PASS
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    PASS

giphy.gif
  • Bryanime1
    Bryanime1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I was just curious.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The last time I had to "cleanse" for a colonoscopy, the fasting and um, "cleansing" caused me to get a migraine (I'm prone to them). It was one of the worst migraines I've ever had. I had to cancel the colonoscopy because I couldn't even get out of bed.

We had to reschedule the colonoscopy and I had to use the prep they'd use for children.

I don't know why anyone would pay a premium for the experience of using laxatives and diuretics to lose a few pounds that are going to come right back on.