Macro's - Finding The Balance

Options
Hi All,
I'm not new to MFP I've been in and out a few years now.. Currently 24lb down with 50lb to go.
I've recently started taking personal training and with that have been given nutritional advice. For the first time I'm thinking about macro's rather than just calories. This is my target:
Cals 1500
Protein 40% (150g)
Carb 30% (120g)
Fats 30% (40g)

Anyone used to this way of eating, any advice or tips to give? Especially for trying to hit the amount of protein.

My trainer has suggested eating two meals that are primarily protein+healthy fats and 2 meals protein+carbs.

Feel free to add me if you're on a similar plan :)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight, the amount of weight you can lose per week, is getting smaller. You may have to eat less than you already are, you may be getting impatient, eager to get to goal, resent having to weigh food and limiting intake. But to continue losing weight, you have to handle all that, so you have to find ways that makes sticking to your calorie goal possible, not just in theory, but in practice too. I theory, lots of protein sounds great, and real simple, but as you've already noticed, it can be hard to do in practice.

What drives weightloss is a sustained calorie deficit. A good macro split makes it easier to stick to the calorie deficit. A good macro split has no magical effects, it doesn't make you lose faster, or anything else you may have been told or imagined. The calorie deficit only works if you stick to it. "Good" is subjective and individual, but can be a wide range of different setups. So, just pick a diet, any diet, that you can stick to.

A general rule: Don't take nutritional advide from trainers. They are experts on exercise, not nutrition.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    That protein intake looks a bit high. Some can sustain that high of an intake, but if you're finding hard after giving it an honest try you would be relieved to hear that going this high is not necessary. If you find yourself over or under macros sometimes I wouldn't worry. If you can't sustain a plan it's useless, no matter how great your trainer believes it is.

What was your protein intake before deciding to follow this split? I would start there and make tweaks if necessary. I have to consciously work on keeping my protein intake reasonable and I have a minimum I try not to go under, but I don't bend over backwards to achieve one specific high target which makes it doable long term.
  • Holly_981
    Holly_981 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm doing personalised macros and am loving it. My protein is 128g and I found it hard to reach at the start but egg whites in a protein smoothie once a day along with other foods help me reach it fine. I mentally enjoy macros over calories because you're trying to reach a number, rather than watching them disappear. And usually by the end of the day, I'm having to eat more to reach them. I've lost a few kilos and have actually increased my calories by about 300 than what I was previously eating. Giving it a go won't hurt and you can always go back. Good luck.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I would try prelogging your food, and play around with quantities and combos to fit your goals. It'll take you a while initially, but after a while you get used to foods that you can use to make up certain macros.

The protein may be higher than you're used to - I would start planning your meals with a protein source then work around that when you're adding carbs and fat.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm trying for 40carbs/30protein/30 fat. Been at it for a few months and I think I'm getting the hang of it (maybe!)
    Definitely agree with @livingleanlivingclean - prelogging is so important. Build meals around protein. I prelog dinner so I know what I need to eat for lunch to keep my protein up. It's helping me feel more satiated and helping me stick to my calories. And protein bars are your friend for a sweet snack that bumps that percentage up at the end of the day!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    IMHO protein is a bit high - I do 140g on a 2500avg a day (and maintaining at that) - current BF is 24% and that protein makes it about 24% of my daily intake

I'd probably drop protein to 110-120ish (or calculate .8-1g per goal lean muscle mass); then up your fat a bit (.4-.6g per lean muscle mass) and then fill in the rest with carbs
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Unless your trainer is a certified nutritionist, he/she should not be giving diet advice.
  • neillc57
    neillc57 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I eat this way. I track protein/fat/fiber (150,75,43) on 1900cals. I am 43lbs down with a load to go.
    What I do is at 8-9pm each night I eat a couple of foods I really like. It took me some time to find them. For me it's sliced beef and various nuts. I call this ballast and I use this most enjoyable time of the day to hit my macros.
    I often start booking ballast early in the day to make sure I can hit my macros. I never want to miss them.
    I cycled through a bunch of fatty and proteiny food to get there. Tried some stuff like bacon, cheese and summer sausage etc. Read labels to find stuff.
  • mrsrobbo85
    mrsrobbo85 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks all that's really helpful. I'll keep focusing on hitting the calorie goal and see where the macros naturally fall for a while. X
  • rebekah31514
    rebekah31514 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would agree with your trainer. I have the same macro goals that she gave you. I try to hit my protein first, eat healthy fats like avocado and almonds with breakfast, and carbs seem to fill themselves in. I have gone from 154 lb - 127 lb with these macros. Everyone is different, but it's worked for me. I think it's a pretty standard bodybuilding macro goal for women as well.