14%-12%? Keto diet

Options
Im 5'9 about 178, im doing the keto diet and I got my macros finally right, 75/20/5, i eat about 3k calories/day and consume about 150gs of protein, how long will it take me to lose 2% body fat, im also 35 and a male. Thanks

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    No one can answer that accurately. Diet until you achieve your goal. Stop when you're there
  • Causalien
    Causalien Posts: 18 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I am on a keto diet too.
    I lose about 1lb per week. But fluctuation per week is 2 lbs due to refeeding in the weekends.

I don't know how you can get 3k cal with 150g of protein. Is that 75% fat or protein?

My macros are about 1800 cal per day.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Causalien wrote: »
    I am on a keto diet too.
    I lose about 1lb per week. But fluctuation per week is 2 lbs due to refeeding in the weekends.

I don't know how you can get 3k cal with 150g of protein. Is that 75% fat or protein?

My macros are about 1800 cal per day.

150g of protein = 600 calories = 20% of 3000 calories
    75% fat = 250g fat.
  • amujica24
    amujica24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes that's correct 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fats, and I lift about 3x and do cardio 1x, and I'm also doing the refeeding in the weekend as well , well this help me reach my goal of losing %2 body fat but gaining muscle?
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    amujica24 wrote: »
    Yes that's correct 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fats, and I lift about 3x and do cardio 1x, and I'm also doing the refeeding in the weekend as well , well this help me reach my goal of losing %2 body fat but gaining muscle?

Quite frankly, keto sucks for muscle gain. Not only do carbs help preserve muscle and promote anabolism, strength training workouts are primarily fueled by glycogen - which is hugely lacking in a keto diet. Fat adaptation may work well for long bouts of endurance-oriented exercise, but it's very sub-optimal for short bursts of energy such as strength training.

^^True that.

The only time properly coached bodybuilders use keto is when they are dieting down close to a show and other methods to cut are not working, you can loose weight on keto but you can loose weight on any diet where you are in a caloric deficit. You never hear of successful bodybuilders using keto to gain muscle. You need protein and carbs to create muscle protein synthesis and insulin pulses.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    PPumpItUp wrote: »

Quite frankly, keto sucks for muscle gain. Not only do carbs help preserve muscle and promote anabolism, strength training workouts are primarily fueled by glycogen - which is hugely lacking in a keto diet. Fat adaptation may work well for long bouts of endurance-oriented exercise, but it's very sub-optimal for short bursts of energy such as strength training.

^^True that.

The only time properly coached bodybuilders use keto is when they are dieting down close to a show and other methods to cut are not working, you can loose weight on keto but you can loose weight on any diet where you are in a caloric deficit. You never hear of successful bodybuilders using keto to gain muscle. You need protein and carbs to create muscle protein synthesis and insulin pulses.

You can gain muscle on keto but its not optimal. But it would be good to do tkd/ckd.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

^^True that.

You can gain muscle on keto but its not optimal. But it would be good to do tkd/ckd.

Even going cyclical is not ideal if gaining muscle mass is a goal.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    00k207yqbtvs.jpg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

You're pulling yourself in two different directions. To gain significant muscle mass, you need to be in a caloric surplus, which is also going to mean fat gain along with the muscle. To lose bodyfat, you need to be in a caloric deficit. You don't lose fat when you're eating more calories than you're burning, and you don't gain (appreciable) amounts of muscle when you're burning more calories than you're eating.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

^^True that.

Even going cyclical is not ideal if gaining muscle mass is a goal.

Oh I completely agree.. not optimal, but it can work.
  • Causalien
    Causalien Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    One month i lost about 0.4% bf. Didn't lose muscle as I am lifting heavier. But even with keto, the fat loss is slow. Also, my caloric intact is 1200 less than yours, so not sure if comparable.
  • amujica24
    amujica24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    No one can answer that accurately. Diet until you achieve your goal. Stop when you're there

Great posts by everybody, so far I'm seeing results I'll report back and let you guys know.