Dressing for weight loss

Options
So as many of you know when you are trying to lose weight you are loathe to buy new clothes. ESPECIALLY when you have lots to lose. After 20lbs if you don't buy new clothes you begin to look sloppy.

So what are some tips and tricks that you have for managing your clothing budget while your weight goes down.

I had one friend say she wore dresses because it's hard to tell when your weight is fluxuating.

(side note: wearing sweats every day is not an option)

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Goodwill. Value Village. Sales at reasonably priced stores. If you have sewing skills, taking in your clothes. If no sewing skills, pay a tailor $5 to $15 or so to take in your clothes for you.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I gained all the weight I'm planning to lose over the last six years and haven't gotten rid of all that much of the two wardrobes I outgrew in that time, so I look forward to shopping in my storage bins as the pounds drop off! That said, I do almost all of my clothes shopping at thrift stores anyhow, because I am both cheap and a clotheshorse. The thing I'm REALLY cheesed about is the new suit I bought and had tailored when I was at my heaviest this past winter and on the verge of outgrowing a third wardrobe - I didn't have occasion to wear it until I'd lost maybe 15 lbs (not in small part because I didn't want to replace all my damn clothes again) and it didn't fit anymore.
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I got lots from charity (thrift) shops and I am an eBay addict! Trousers with belt loops are a must and tops with stretch can fit over a range of sizes.
    I took and still take huge pleasure in buying clothes I wouldn't have dreamt of wearing only 8 months ago, enjoy!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I do lots of leggings and dresses
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    One more tip: I buy stuff as snug as possible. Where I would usually buy stuff a bit looser I buy tighter now because otherwise it won't fit in a few weeks.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I have a friend's wedding in a month and have nothing suitable to wear, so I've just ordered a wrap dress. Hoping it'll be forgiving enough to continue to wear after I hit goal (17 lbs from now).
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Like others have said - thrift stores and clothed you can lose into. Also I've started wearing a wide belt over some of my larger tops or dresses - that hides the fact they are oversized. Also I've added a ... Gather ? Pleat? to the back of some of my dresses and shirts - kinda like this:

https://www.google.co.th/search?client=ms-android-asus-tpin&biw=360&bih=311&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=BtCMWbf5AYeKvQS1-KqAAg&q=upcycle+shirt+add+button+back&oq=upcycle+shirt+add+button+back&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.3...29921.38083.0.38452.30.29.0.1.1.0.201.4079.4j24j1.29.0....0...1.1j4.64.mobile-gws-img..0.16.2660.3..0j41j0i67k1j0i10k1j0i13k1j0i13i10k1j0i10i30k1j0i8i30k1j30i10k1._Xo-PkKw-TY#imgrc=net3Xx6sY_qW4M:
  • Angied725
    Angied725 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well, being a person who really has avoided dresses and shorts since my teenage years, I would never give people trying to lose weight that advice....however, for those that do wear them, more power to you....you have more confidence and courage than me. :)
    I work in healthcare so I wear scrubs half the time....and when I'm at home, I'm in PJs or yoga pants and a T Shirt.
    I'm truly one of the least materialistic women I know!
    I will allow myself to buy new scrubs every 6 months or so if necessary. However, they are made to be flexible with body types and fits, so it takes quite a bit of weight loss before you would notice enough to need to go down a size....
    For casual wear, I would say tights and a long shirt or dress or buy blue jeans a little more snug, so you have some extra weight to lose before having to buy more....also, some weight loss centers will do clothing trade ins whe
  • Angied725
    Angied725 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Where people losing weight can bring their too loose clothes and exchange them for someone else's too loose clothing that you now fit.

Bariatric weight loss centers sometimes do this for their patients....who could be anywhere on their journey and unlimited sizes down to the lowest of sizes....

When I went to a nutritionist at one of these places, they had information on it...I thought it was a great idea....perhaps you could start a feed on here for clothing exchange and post or private message each other with pictures, brand names, etc to try to get a little clothing exchange going on in the post....I know when I lose weight and no longer need bigger sizes, I usually give them to friends or family or send them to charity.....this would be a similar idea....helping someone else out with their weight loss journey...
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I wear stretchy knits. Anything that is sized by S, M, L, etc. will usually get me through about three numbered dress sizes before needing to be replaced.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of time checking the clearance racks at Wal-Mart too. Bought 2 great skirts last year for $3 each and they still fit.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I just wore clothes that were too big for a while, until friends of mine (moms at the school where I teach) started making fun of my baggy clothes (in a funny/not mean way). Then, I went out and bought some size 8s, which only fit me for a very short time. I regret wasting the money. I think dresses are a great idea and wish I had thought of that at the time. I went from a 14 to a 4/6 depending in about 8 months. It was challenging. I would wait it out.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I buy almost all of my clothes at thrift stores or off of clearance racks.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Either make friends with a taylor or hit thrift stores. You can also get really good deals on sale racks at Kohls or Macy's. They are all hit or miss. I'd advise to invest in a pair of dress pants that fit, a pair of jeans that fit and the rest can bigger and still look ok. There's nothing worse that saggy pants :)

Oh, and make sure your bra fits the whole way through your weight loss - it will not only make you look better, it will make you feel better.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    Options
    Belts for my jeans although I am now on the last belthole so either need to buy a new belt or some new jeans :lol:

Maxi dresses have been great for me over the summer, I've worn some of my older ones with elasticated belts to nip the waist in so they aren't as baggy.

Also skater style dresses with leggings or tights.

For tops, I just tend to buy from Primark/Penneys (UK/Irish budget chain) where I can pick up a good few vests/tshirts for £10-20