I'd like to add alcoholic friends who are trying to lose weight!

Options
Basically, it would help to have friends in a similar boat. Either people who are cutting back drinking and trying to lose weight or quitting. Personally, I'm quitting because I have to, and as we all know it's hard and the one thing I want is whatever food I want while I'm quitting!

Replies

• amyf2000
    amyf2000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I quit nearly two years ago and it changed my life for the better, but it is very, very hard. Get lots of support and don't be too hard on yourself about the weight loss.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    Another good for you. I quit drinking and lost about 50 lbs eating pretty much what I wanted. When I got around to changing my eating, I could actually concentrate on what I was doing. I'm down 100+ lbs and have kept it off for years.

I was in up to my neck but didn't seem to struggle much after the first week or two. No one was more surprised than I was. Huge relief. I thought I was going to spend the rest of my life missing out on all the fun, what I found was liberation. Saved my life, no joke.

Watch out for your sweet tooth and people who try to suck you back in.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    I have cut back - WAY BACK! But, I am still a drinker. I am 65 down and thinking maybe I need to cut it out all together. Oh the struggles!!
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    xbrains wrote: »
    Basically, it would help to have friends in a similar boat. Either people who are cutting back drinking and trying to lose weight or quitting. Personally, I'm quitting because I have to, and as we all know it's hard and the one thing I want is whatever food I want while I'm quitting!
    I'm a 65-year-old man and been drinking on and off, mostly on, for 50 years. I don't use the word alcoholic because it has widely different meanings to people and many of them aggressively attack points of view that differ from their own.

But my experience related to drinking and losing weight is that after a couple belts, moderating anything is an iffy proposition. So if you think being mfp friends with an old man would be useful, feel free to send a friend request.