5' 7", 139lbs, 16.2% BF. Should I do a slow cut?

Options
So, I found out I'm 16.2% body fat at ~139 lbs. I have been eating at what is supposedly my maintenance (which will likely increase) over the past several weeks and I actually ended up losing around 3 lbs. I am making progress in the gym though and I'm not losing strength at least. My PT suggested a goal to get under 15% BF. I'm thinking of shooting for 12-14% if I can, though. Since I'm still making progress, should I just eat in a slight deficit (200-300 cals or so) until I get to 12-14% or 130 lbs (whichever comes first) or recomp then do a clean bulk?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    How was your body fat determined?
    How old are you?
  • Steelpit202
    Steelpit202 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm 25.

My BF was measured with a device where you stick your arms out. I think it's a BIA device.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm 25.

My BF was measured with a device where you stick your arms out. I think it's a BIA device.

Those are highly inaccurate. You could be 10% or you could be 20%. Maybe if you post a picture people can get an accurate idea of where you are at for body fat and lean mass then offer better suggestions.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It's simple. Cut

Here's why. If your method of BF% puts you in the 15% range, then it's close enough. Let's pretend it's either 13 all the way to 19. Either one of those and you'll still do better to cut. The basic idea is that at more than 15% BF, the body (males) tends to favour fat over muscle for storage. You still gain muscle but it's not very efficient if you are then going to turn around and cut again to look good. If you bulk, you'll have a long way to go to get down to 12%, because you'll be starting from 20% or so, and you might want to do that in two cuts instead of one because a long cut (more than 4-6 months or so) has a higher chance of losing muscle.

If you want to have muscle and be cut, spend most of your time between 12 and 15% BF, begin to bulk at 12 and begin to cut at 15. It's a very rough guide, but that's a nice sweet spot for efficiency. Lyle McDonald recommends this range as a nice place to start.

When you cut, you want to keep muscle. You need two things on a deficit to keep the muscle you have. Protein around 1g/lb body fat (slightly less is ok, it's just a nice round number and does the trick for fat loss), and you need to maintain lifting at or above around 60% of your 1RM. Your volume doesn't have to be high, you don't have to be making progress in the gym, you just have to maintain your muscles, and it takes very little work to maintain your muscles for a few months while you cut 5%. Try to keep with your lifting program "as is", and you should be ok. Don't try to make gains, you could end up (very slight chance) losing muscle by going too hard. If you just cut your volume by 25% you should be ok, that kind of thing.

Try for a 10-25% calorie deficit from TDEE. Have the calorie deficit you can sustain, and no more. :)

BTW I'm your height and got down to 130 at 12.5%, so you don't have that far to go. Not saying we're the same, just giving you some goal posts. 10 lbs might do it, then bulk.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height and if I was 139lbs (I'm currently 197lbs) I'd look pretty gangly. Why do you want cut at such a low weight already?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • giburns5388
    giburns5388 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I'm the same height and if I was 139lbs (I'm currently 197lbs) I'd look pretty gangly. Why do you want cut at such a low weight already?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Same height and 180. Agree with ya. He needs to just focusing on lifting right now. Forget the cut.
  • Steelpit202
    edited August 2017
    Options
    To give you a better idea, Here's how I look (Photo taken through mirror):

3o7omvsjriu3.png

It looks like I have a bit of extra flab but I have a little bit of rib visibility. Am I possibly a little bit skinny fat?

I also started a new lifting program about a month and a half ago or so.

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Just keep training with your PT and eat in a slight calorie deficit, you're likely more like 18-22% bf. the number itself doesn't matter much. If you're consistently using the BIA and measuring consistently, it should trend downwards for you if you're doing things correctly.
  • donkey9512
    donkey9512 Posts: 60 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I would cut down. It's a tough call at 16% but in your case, cut.

If you bulk and gain
    10 lbs consisting of 50% fat and 50% muscle you would weigh 149 lbs and have a composition of 18% bf. Do the math and you will see for yourself.

At this point you would be very eager to loose about 8% in bf and be a svelte 10% bf. You would then struggle just to cut and loose 10 lbs, 7.5 lbs of fat. You would be back down to 139 lbs except with 14% bf. That's alot of work for a measly 2% bf reduction and only a net gain of 2.5 lbs of muscle.

If instead you cut now and loose about 10 lbs consisting of 7.5 lb of fat loss, you would be only 11% bf. This is close to the coveted 10% beach bod! Much more bang for your buck wouldn't you agree?

You are only 7.5 lbs away from the beach body look!
  • Steelpit202
    Options
    Given the advice I'm giving, it looks like I could continue in a cut. However, with that being said so I could still gain strength, should I go with a slow cut (10% deficit or so), do a standard cut, or could I try recomping?
  • Rusty740
    Options
    Given the advice I'm giving, it looks like I could continue in a cut. However, with that being said so I could still gain strength, should I go with a slow cut (10% deficit or so), do a standard cut, or could I try recomping?

I'm thinking maybe 0.5 lbs per week. It's decent, but slow enough to keep a bit of workout strength, if you can do 1 lb per week for the first 3-4 weeks that would be good, but it will get much harder so you might end up only losing 0.25 lb per week by the end anyhow. I'm guessing maybe 12-16 weeks. You could stop at 135 and maintain for a month, or you could try for 1 lb per month for 10 weeks or so, but it's just going to come down to how you feel.
  • Steelpit202
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »

I'm thinking maybe 0.5 lbs per week. It's decent, but slow enough to keep a bit of workout strength, if you can do 1 lb per week for the first 3-4 weeks that would be good, but it will get much harder so you might end up only losing 0.25 lb per week by the end anyhow. I'm guessing maybe 12-16 weeks. You could stop at 135 and maintain for a month, or you could try for 1 lb per month for 10 weeks or so, but it's just going to come down to how you feel.

I'm thinking I'll go with the slow cut route (continue 250-300 cals or so below maintenance). This allows for some leeway on lifting days or days where I'm more active to where if I burn extra, I'd lose a little more or if I eat back exercise calories, I could still be on track. This also allows me to possibly still make progress with weights.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I'm thinking I'll go with the slow cut route (continue 250-300 cals or so below maintenance). This allows for some leeway on lifting days or days where I'm more active to where if I burn extra, I'd lose a little more or if I eat back exercise calories, I could still be on track. This also allows me to possibly still make progress with weights.

That's similar to what I do. I eat at net maintenance on lifting days and a net deficit only on cardio days. Be forewarned you're going to have a lot of water weight spikes because you keep topping off your gylcogen stores at maintenance and then reducing them with the deficit.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Yes IMO you do look skinny fat. You don't have enough muscle mass on your frame. Eat at or near TDEE (higher even on tough days) and lift heavy. I wouldn't be cutting if I were you. It's just my personal opinion. If you want to keep cutting all the good to you. But I feel like at some point you will be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Without enough muscle mass you will have to work in reverse.
  • Steelpit202
    Options

That's similar to what I do. I eat at net maintenance on lifting days and a net deficit only on cardio days. Be forewarned you're going to have a lot of water weight spikes because you keep topping off your gylcogen stores at maintenance and then reducing them with the deficit.

In that case, I think I will try and eat back any exercise calories. Also, the only cardio I really do is as a warmup before I lift. I have been thinking maybe I could do a little HIIT as cardio.

Also, I have actually maybe thought of calorie/carb cycling for a recomp. I haven't tried it, but could that be another viable option as a beginner?
  • Rusty740
    edited August 2017
    Options

In that case, I think I will try and eat back any exercise calories. Also, the only cardio I really do is as a warmup before I lift. I have been thinking maybe I could do a little HIIT as cardio.

Also, I have actually maybe thought of calorie/carb cycling for a recomp. I haven't tried it, but could that be another viable option as a beginner?

Do what works. Of course carb cycling could increase your total weekly calories, maybe that's good or bad depending on what you are going for. It can also serve as a "once per week" break from a cut. Like a re-feed.

If I were you, getting started, I'd try to keep it simple first, then add different techniques as you need to.

For cut, less calories
    For bulk, more
    For recomp, maintenance (if it works)
  • LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'd cut to get to 12-14% while increasing lifts, like you said before, then slowly gain weight.
  • donkey9512
    donkey9512 Posts: 60 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    You have very little muscle, I'd bulk.

If he bulks, he will just add more fat and instead of skinny fat, he will be plain old fat. Cut first then lean bulk.

But it is obvious that you still need to at least maintain the muscle you have. Therefore you need to only do weight training and limited cardio. You need a very slight calorie deficit. This should be a very slow cut. Then after 8 weeks, post pictures and maybe we can go into bulk mode.