Hard to lose weight yet I also don't gain?

Options
What's going on with me? It's soooo hard to lose weight. I have been eating 1200 cals a day and have only lost 1 pound in 2.5 weeks. Awhile back I went off track for nearly a month, straight pigging out daily on donuts, fast food, etc. After about a month I hopped onto the scale thinking Id be up 10 lbs but nope was exactly the same. How?? And now I'm eating only 1200 because I have a hysterectomy surgery in a month and want desperately to lose some poundage! I'm 5 foot 7 and 169 lbs. by the way. I don't look overweight except in the tummy but then again with 2 cantaloupe sized fibroids in my uterus it's understandable why I have a pooch. I want to lose 14 lbs to get to my goal weight. I weigh and measure everything, I even log gum, celery, anything that goes into my mouth. I drink plenty of water so I'm stumped. It's NOT just calories in, calories out. I am proof of that. I've tried herbal teas, supplements and all kinds of home remedies yet I'm still soooo slow to lose. It's crunch time for me with this surgery!!( which is said to cause weight gain, that's why I want to lose what I can beforehand) Please help? And explain why I also don't gain weight either? Weird! Ps I'm40 yrs.old, maybe it's a hormone issue? Had my thyroid tested and it was fine. Any tips at all welcome!

Replies

• TaraTaraTara76
    TaraTaraTara76 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm over on sodium almost everyday I've noticed although I never salt my food. Could that be why? Some days my sodium level is double what it says it should be. I drink a ton of water so I always hope that will help offset it but maybe not. I definitely need to figure out how to lower my sodium. I notice that crab and shrimp have a ton! I am usually good on my sugar levels though except on Halo Top days:)
  • eisterunicorn
    eisterunicorn Posts: 158 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Omg that is so weird!!! :open_mouth:

^ it shouldn't have anything to do with sugar or salt levels

If you're really eating 1200 cals a day you should lose weight for sure.. as for not gaining weight either, I don't have a scientific reason for that but I've experienced a similar thing sometimes!! Our bodies are so complex.. Maybe our bodies just get comfortable at a set weight for a period of time, which makes it harder to make changes at first. But if you're consistent it should definitely work!! Good wishes for your surgery!<3

Edit: Oh and I wanted to add that one pound in a couple weeks isn't awful when you're first starting out!! Sometimes it takes time for it to catch on.:)
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You say you measure your food, but do you weigh it? Measuring cups/spoons can be horribly inaccurate.

If you're not weighing your food, you don't know how much you are eating. Even prepackaged food can be off by 20% legally.

But realistically, you're still losing. It might be your expectations that need to be changed.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    What's your doctor say? I wonder whether the doc would recommend a certain approach to help you lose weight more quickly. I understand that fibroids cause weight gain due to hormonal imbalance. I wonder whether you're losing a little weight on the 1200 calorie approach, while simultaneously the fibroids are growing slowly and getting heavier? Maybe the diet-driven weight loss is cancelled out partially by fibroid weight growth? (Perhaps this is a silly theory) I'd run this past your doctor. Maybe there are specific food groups you should be concentrating on. Good luck, and good luck on your surgery!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your exercise routine? New or increased levels of exercise could also be a source of water retention.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I think the 2 cantaloupe sized fibroids are complicating the issue. I really think you should put weight loss goals to the side until after your surgery. If those fibroids keep growing, it could be the reason it's so hard to lose (I've never had fibroids and don't know the growth rate), but I think that you'll be fighting an uphill battle until they're removed.
  • TaraTaraTara76
    Options
    Thanks guys. I don't know why it won't let me reply individually now but oh wells:) Yes, I have a digital food scale and if it weren't for the surgery, I'd be totally fine with losing slowly. It's taken nearly a year to lose 15 and I've been good with that but I'm so fearing the weight gain with this surgery. I really have tried very hard to lose and eat healthy the good part of all year minus my hiatus:) And thank you for the well wishes on my surgery, #eisterunicorn I'm pretty scared!
  • TaraTaraTara76
    Options
    I haven't changed exercise routine, in fact I'll admit, I don't really do it often. I do walk my dog about 5 times a day. Short 5 min. walks I don't even log. I bought a trampoline and a Gazelle machine. I guess i need to get with it!!
  • TaraTaraTara76
    Options
    And yeah those bad boys need purged from my body. They are pressing against other organs now like my stomach and bladder so I have issues there. Lol.
  • TaraTaraTara76
    Options
    Never thought about the possibility of the fibroid growth cancelling out weight loss. Interesting theory, maybe? They have grown pretty fast. They were golf ball sized 4 yrs ago!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you'll experience a "whoosh" once the fibroids have been removed and you've recovered.
    I'd be curious to know how much those bad boys weigh, and if they're messing with your hormones?
  • TaraTaraTara76
    Options
    That would be awesome to have a woosh! I want my doctor to show me photos of what was removed and weigh them though he said he only estimates they are around 5 lbs total. They feel sooo heavy. Well, we shall see!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    A friend had fibroids removed and was pissed with the amount of swelling she had after the surgery. It took weeks for all the swelling to disappear.
  • TaraTaraTara76
    Options
    I've read about that. "Swelly belly" ..well I'm bloated all the time anyways it seems so I'm used to that part. I hope. I think. I heard it's best to NOT weigh post surgery yet I know I'll be too curious not to.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I also vote for holding off on weight loss goals until after surgery. Then at least you will have one factor out of the way.
  • derick337
    derick337 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Sodium and salt make you hold on to water weight.
    Example of things that have a lot of sodium.
    Most of our salt comes from processed, prepared foods such as crackers, cheese, canned foods, breakfast cereals, and restaurant foods.

Even processed foods that don’t taste “salty” — like breakfast cereal — can have surprisingly high sodium levels. Additionally, foods eaten numerous times a day, such as bread, can add up to higher sodium intake even though an individual serving is not high in sodium.

In fact, according to a recent CDC report, more than 40% of sodium comes from the following 10 types of foods:

Breads and rolls
    Cold cuts and cured meats such as deli or packaged ham or turkey
    Pizza
    Fresh and processed poultry
    Soups
    Sandwiches such as cheeseburgers
    Cheese
    Pasta dishes
    Meat mixed dishes such as meat loaf with tomato sauce
    Snacks such as chips, pretzels, and popcorn. @tarataratara76