Is it possible to build some muscle while dropping a lot of

Options
ZeroTX
ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
Folks,

I'm starting what I intend to be my finally-successful weightloss process. I've got no interest in being a body builder or anything, but I'd love to have bigger arms/shoulders/chest (muscle, not man-boobs). I am not really gonna look chicken-legged, because my legs are big from hauling over 300lbs for over 20 years. I also have very bad (and often painful) varicose veins in my legs and don't want to do any leg exercise until I lose the weight, get the veins handled with laser or surgery, etc.

So, I wonder if anyone has recommendations for building arm/chest/shoulder muscle (upper body) while also losing a very large amount of fat weight.

Thanks!

Replies

• Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    Folks,

I'm starting what I intend to be my finally-successful weightloss process. I've got no interest in being a body builder or anything, but I'd love to have bigger arms/shoulders/chest (muscle, not man-boobs). I am not really gonna look chicken-legged, because my legs are big from hauling over 300lbs for over 20 years. I also have very bad (and often painful) varicose veins in my legs and don't want to do any leg exercise until I lose the weight, get the veins handled with laser or surgery, etc.

So, I wonder if anyone has recommendations for building arm/chest/shoulder muscle (upper body) while also losing a very large amount of fat weight.

It's really almost impossible to build muscle while burning fat. Main reason here is that in order to build muscle, you need a slight calorie surplus filed with high-quality proteins and complex carbohydrates, where as in order to loose fat you need a high-calorie deficit with a diet high in protein and low in fat & carbohydrates.

Like I said, its not impossible but its just highly unlikely that you would be able to add on any substantial amount of muscle while trying to loose fat weight.
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    Options
    You might get better advice from the guys but I would say yes just make sure you get plenty of protein from lean meats, eggs, perhaps protein drinks (after working out), etc.

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Folks,

Thanks!
    Unless you're obese, it's pretty unlikely to build muscle on a calorie deficit. Since you're wanting to add muscle, you would need to be in calorie surplus. Along with it you WILL add some fat. It's just part of the process.
    You can still strengthen and keep the lean muscle you already have by working out your chest, shoulders and arms though.

Stick to the basics:

Incline barbell/dumbell presses
    Flat bench presses
    Dips (assisted if needed)
    Military or seated overhead presses
    Side Laterals
    Bent over laterals
    Barbell or dumbell curls
    Preacher curls
    Tricep pressdowns
    Lying tricep extensions

If you can work your legs, I would recommend you do. It doesn't have to be too hard or heavy, but working your legs increases GH (which encourages fat burning) and metabolic rate.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    it is phisiologically impossible to gain muscle and lose significant fat at the same time. the only time this does happen is with newbies who have never lifted weights at the same time.

but i would suggest that you do lift while you are losing fat..to minimize the amount of muscle loss while losing weight/fat.

go to the bodybuilding.com forums..there is tons of info on there..just beware of all the broscience. like on this site. but for the most part there are several knowlegeable people on there
  • SuperHeroRipped
    Options
    You will lose some muscle while cutting its part of the process how much you lose can be controlled by eating a high protein diet and consuming BCAA's during or after your workout. try the ratio 50% protein 30% carbs 20%fat it will help you cut and not lose a ton of muscle in the process
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Unless you're obese, it's pretty unlikely to build muscle on a calorie deficit.

I guess I'm in "luck," because I'm obese. I'm at 333 today, wanting to get to 200. If I can get to 200, that'll be the lightest I've been since I was 11 years old, and I'm currently 36.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Hm...
    In my experience, the answer is a sort-of yes.
    Granted I'm referring to a time that I actually became underweight.
    Still, I lifted weights and gained strength, although I did lose muscle mass. Once I started eating more, weight lifting and strength building became much easier.
    One way or another, it's wise to lift weights even if your intent is to lose a lot of fat simply because it prevents muscle loss, strengthens bones and ligaments, and improves body composition.
    It's win/win.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Unless you're obese, it's pretty unlikely to build muscle on a calorie deficit.

I guess I'm in "luck," because I'm obese. I'm at 333 today, wanting to get to 200. If I can get to 200, that'll be the lightest I've been since I was 11 years old, and I'm currently 36.
    Then make sure to stay on a high protein diet. It was mentioned but a ratio of 50% protein, 30% fat and 20% carbs is a good way to ensure you're getting the protein you need to build while reducing the fat you currently have.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Okay... sorry for the brief hijack, but I keep hearing that "you can't build muscle while losing fat" and being a CHICK means it's supposed to be even more impossible for me right? Then perhaps my math is wrong:

mid-April: calipered using 4pt skin-fold at 26% body-fat, weight: 162lbs (120lbs lean, 42lbs fat)
    6/18: calipered using 7pt skin-fold at 19.8% body-fat, weight: 156lbs (125lbs lean, 31lbs fat)
    7/28: calipered using 7pt skin-fold at 18.95% body-fat, weight: 153lbs (124lbs lean, 29lbs fat)

Same trainer did the first 2, then the master-trainer with a serious pro figure-competitor background did the last one. Does the "can't lose fat & build muscle" rule mean my progress is BS? Just curious. I almost entirely do circuit weight training so I get cardio & strength rolled up in one neat timeslot.
  • pvaness17
    pvaness17 Posts: 17
    Options
    Build the muscle first and expect to gain a few pounds during the third and fourth weeks. More muscle mass will crank up your metabolism and the weight will fly off faster than you can believe it in the second and third months. If you stick to it for a year, you could lose 100 pounds.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Okay... sorry for the brief hijack, but I keep hearing that "you can't build muscle while losing fat" and being a CHICK means it's supposed to be even more impossible for me right? Then perhaps my math is wrong:

mid-April: calipered using 4pt skin-fold at 26% body-fat, weight: 162lbs (120lbs lean, 42lbs fat)
    6/18: calipered using 7pt skin-fold at 19.8% body-fat, weight: 156lbs (125lbs lean, 31lbs fat)
    7/28: calipered using 7pt skin-fold at 18.95% body-fat, weight: 153lbs (124lbs lean, 29lbs fat)

Same trainer did the first 2, then the master-trainer with a serious pro figure-competitor background did the last one. Does the "can't lose fat & build muscle" rule mean my progress is BS? Just curious. I almost entirely do circuit weight training so I get cardio & strength rolled up in one neat timeslot.

Not all lean body mass is muscle. There's a lot more to the human body than just fat and muscle.
  • SuperHeroRipped
    Options
    Tim Ferris calls it a weight exchange, You are gaining muscle and in turn burning more calories so you lose fat, as long as your protein is high enough to support the muscle mass you are growing you can do that. the problem is a lot of people go low calorie and eat what ever as long as its not over 1200 or 1600 and the majority of those calories are carbs so the body breaks down the muscle to feed the rest of the muscle the BCAA's it needs
  • Swimgoddess
    Options

Not all lean body mass is muscle. There's a lot more to the human body than just fat and muscle.

Aw crud. I'm guessing then the difference in the lean weight is water then mostly? Stupid hormones didn't get the damn memo I'm done having babies :(

(edited to add: I've been at 1700 net for 3+ weeks now, recently upped to 1950 with intention to go to 2200 gradually. Set for 40% carb, 20% protein & 25% fat)
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    If you strength train, you will lose fat faster than you'll gain muscle. I was losing 2 lbs a week when I was 280 lbs lifting 4 days a week and my only cardio was running a mile everyday (was consuming 3000+ calories /day at the time as well). It will take much longer to lose the fat first and then work on strength as you will lose muscle, so then you'll have to gain all that back (that's what I did and seriously regret it). Now I am following this plan:

http://stronglifts.com/fat-loss-101-how-to-lose-fat-fast-with-free-fat-loss-diets/

I'm getting stronger and I've put on some weight (though I don't have much to lose), and I believe I've lost some fat, but I'll find out for sure next week when I get my BF% measured.

I'm consuming 2000 ish calories a day on a high protein diet.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Calipers use skin fold measurements to determine body fat %. But your skin can be affected by water, heat, exercise, stress, etc. If your first measurement was your first before starting any workout, you would have had a lot of subcutaneous water under the skin that would make the "pinch" much thicker. With a later measurement after you have worked out and gotten your body used to regulating water, the "pinch" would be much thinner due to some fat loss, but also because that subcutaneous water would be less.
    Last of all, calipers DON'T measure viseral fat which is the fat in and around your organs.

Hydrostatic body fat testing is possibly the most accurate form of body fat testing.

I can promise you that there have been several studies done on "gaining muscle while losing fat", and the scientific evidence is that it's practically impossible to improbable that you've gained muscle while on calorie deficit.
  • Swimgoddess
    Options
    Well darn. Yeah, I usually defer to the meatheads when it comes to this stuff. FWIW, I always get measured before working out, within 90 minutes of waking up. I think I look more toned and am definitely stronger, guess just losing the insulation does that. At least the fat loss is all fat, right? I don't think I have the funds or resources to check to see how svelte my organs are. Trainer said my next step should be the VO2 max testing to see where my metabolism is really at.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Well darn. Yeah, I usually defer to the meatheads when it comes to this stuff. FWIW, I always get measured before working out, within 90 minutes of waking up. I think I look more toned and am definitely stronger, guess just losing the insulation does that. At least the fat loss is all fat, right? I don't think I have the funds or resources to check to see how svelte my organs are. Trainer said my next step should be the VO2 max testing to see where my metabolism is really at.
    Mirror and how your clothes fit are the best indicators if you're more svelte! Calipers are great as a tool because if the readings are lower, that will usually mean less body fat, but there are so many variables to give an accurate reading each time. To give you an example, I checked myself recently with a LANGE SKINFOLD CALIPERS, which is one of the best calipers out there, on Tuesday last week. The very next day I checked again to see variance and I had apparently gained 2% while still being the same exact weight! So you can see that even in one day, there could be a discrepency.