Low Iron

Options
Wonder_Mattie
Wonder_Mattie Posts: 13 Member
edited August 2017 in Motivation and Support
So, 3 years ago, I found out that my iron gets so extremely low, that I have to get iron infusions. First time it was 6, one a week for 6 weeks. I was 3 weeks shy from hitting one year before I needed 2 more. Then last year, I was 2 weeks shy, before needed another 2.

I think because I had lost 25lbs, I made it past the one year. I am now, 3 months past the yearly mark and I can feel it's low. My weight loss has come to a halt. I went online and it said, "low Iron can affect weight loss due to oxygen not getting to the proper cells."

Right now, I have no energy. So has anybody else have this happen? Been in the same shoes??? Amazing how one little mineral can cause so much havoc.

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I had low iron from most of my 30s and 40s. Never got to the infusion stage but close. I would assume this is due to your periods. If you're young and are requiring infusions, I would suggest you find a way to stop this from happening. You look young enough that this could go on for years. It's not worth it!! Can you do anything to stop the cause?
  • Wonder_Mattie
    Options
    I took that profile pic like 5 months ago. Around my 42 birthday. I didn't get the skinny gene, but I did get the youthful gene. I've always had amemia, as long as I can remember. It's just got bad after my 3rd child. I also got diagnosed with RA, 2 months after she was born.

Iron pills do nothing for me. Doctors have tried. Infusion is the only way to go. I have to go every 3 months to my hemotologist to have my blood drawn. This Friday is the 3 month mark. I was right on the fence last time. I can so feel it. Wanting to eat ice first thing in the morning, fatigue, the severe RLS and just grouchiness.
  • Sashslay
    Sashslay Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Me! I've had low iron since I've had bloodtests. I've lost about 12 kilos on MFP and for the last 2 weeks I can feel my iron levels dropping again, being more tired, dark circles and dark lips (weird I know) and with it my weight loss has basically stalled at the same numbers, going up and down a few grams each day.

I don't really have a way of dealing with it yet unfortunately.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Someone on this site told me about iron fish and I've used it ever since.

http://www.luckyironfish.com/

It might have been @jgnatca ?
  • TranquilityBreeze
    TranquilityBreeze Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I finally had a blood test after I felt so dizzy last month. Before last month, people would
    comment on how exhausted I looked or ask if I was feeling okay. Well, turns out my iron is way way way low. I don't eat much meat, only chicken when I do have meat. My doctor told me to use Feramax. I am going on almost a month and am feeling less tired.
  • Wonder_Mattie
    Options
    I talked to my RA doctor about it. She explained iron creates the oxygen for cells, the oxygen is what you need to speed up your metabolism. No iron = No oxygen to cells = no metabolism = NO WEIGHT LOSS.

I went today for my bloodwork, I find out next week if I need the infusions. I'm 95% sure it's a yes. It's just going to be interesting to see if the wait starts coming off again.
  • rapttie
    rapttie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ive gone back and forth with low iron for a long time. For me it happens when i dont pay attention to what I eat. Limiting or cuting out dairy helps, why is to much info to go into on post.
    Most important is eatting plant based iron sources (beets, nuts and so forth). I make sure to have orange juice when im having a meal high in iron ( same with supplements). Vitamin c helps u absorb iron. Some vegetables have both iron and vit c which is great too.

Im no doctor but i hope that helps and u feel better :)
  • blazes8n
    blazes8n Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Sounds like you need to listen to more Iron Maiden \m/ (bad humour, sorry).

I hope it all goes ok and you find a way to increase your iron intake. Some good suggestions already, nuts, leafy greens etc. Any other supliments you can try?

Since using this app and monitoring my intake, I'm surprised that sometimes my iron and other things are low. I expected it to be higher. I take high vit c though, so probably helps a bit.
  • MissTrina2017
    MissTrina2017 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've had low iron before, but not to the point of needing infusions. I've been able to manage mine through diet...Cheerios are an amazing source of iron! The week of/after my period I'll eat them every day for breakfast with a fruit high in vitamin c since it helps your body absorb the iron.
  • Wonder_Mattie
    Options
    Well, this Monday I went in and got the first iron infusion. By Wednesday feeling fantastic. I go for my second one next Monday. I've already dropped over a pound since Tuesday. So, I can see and feel my metabolism has improved.