Binge Cycle

Hi all! I've been struggling with binge eating for about 6 years now, and I felt like I was making pretty good progress the last few months, but lately I've been frustrated with how things are going. I'm finding that things go really well for a few weeks- I'm eating healthy foods, but still allowing myself occasional treats and not restricting, and I'm exercising regularly. However, after a week and a half or 2 weeks of this, all of a sudden, it's like a switch flips. I feel constant urges to binge and eventually give in, and it takes me several days to get back to my regular healthy habits. It's been really frustrating because I feel like I'm making such great progress and then all of a sudden, like clockwork, I fall back into old habits. Has anyone else experienced this before? If so, was there anything you were able to do to successfully break this cycle?

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Have you addressed this issue with your doctor? If not, it might be time. :)
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Yep. I've noticed several things about my binges. They occur on weekends when I'm out of sync with my work schedule (no weekend routine). Because of lack of weekend routine I'll eat because I'm bored, and I'll also binge right before my period.

My recent week long binge/maintenance eating has been because of huge stress. It's just about gone now.

Maybe that'll help you figure out your binge cycle?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    What do you call healthy foods? Maybe you are restricting too much. You can plan your day to include a treat almost every day as long as you are under calories and getting enough fat and protein.
    Change your weight loss to one pound a week.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    OP I don't know what you call a binge.
    But as long as you log them. It will be fine.

When you log, you don't give up, you're accountable for the food you eat.

Gaining some pounds back is not failing, quitting is failing
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Are you binge eating or do you just think you're eating too much?
    Are you overweight or gaining weight?
    A cycle can't have just one element. Is "healthy food" and "going well" actually just "lifestyle change" code for restricting food intake and/or restrictive attitude to food?

I'm reading "Intuitive eating" by Evelyn Tribole now, I recognized a lot of my own thinking and behavior, and the way you are presenting your case, makes me wonder if you're dealing with some very common issues.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited August 2017
    Are you binge eating or do you just think you're eating too much?
    Are you overweight or gaining weight?
    A cycle can't have just one element. Is "healthy food" and "going well" actually just "lifestyle change" code for restricting food intake and/or restrictive attitude to food?

I'm reading "Intuitive eating" by Evelyn Tribole now, I recognized a lot of my own thinking and behavior, and the way you are presenting your case, makes me wonder if you're dealing with some very common issues.

just looking into that Evelyn Tribold book now - looks interesting. I've read Brain over Binge by Kathryn Hansen and found that very useful (note that Hansen's book is not suitable for those who emotionally binge eat but rather, as I put it, those who "fall off the wagon in spectacular style").
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    OP, if you think you may have binge eating disorder, I recommend you speak with a professional. This is a serious illness and we are not qualified to advise you.
  • Xx_Christie_xX
    Xx_Christie_xX Posts: 21 Member
    I have struggled with this for years! At the start of this year I was at my heaviest weight in 20 years! I starting slimming world and that helped me loose 21 lbs. I thought I knew what I was doing and stopping going to group / slipped back into old habits so I am back at group now but also tracking on MFP as I am plateauing at the moment. But in the last week tracking on MFP has helped me get back on track. Things I find that help are making sure you eat enough, try and eat whole foods plenty of fruit veg protein, plan treats - I have small portions of what I like, e.g. Small bags of pop corn, solero, all typically around 100 cals. If you have a bad day just get back on track asap and don't let it be an excuse for a bad week / month / I have blown it so hey ho! I find exercise helps. On the days I exercise I don't feel as hungry (not sure why??) but good luck I am sure you can overcome this - feel free to add if you like!