Period water weight gain

Options
Hello.

I've been on my lifestyle change for a few months and I've lost close to 14 lbs. However, I wake up today and I'm up 8 lbs due to water weight from my period starting today

Is this normal?

I thought as you began to lose weight and get healthier that stopped.

Also looking for new friends

Replies

• noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't think this stops. It all depends on hormones and may go down to 6lbs or 5lbs with time but if you are a person who gains water weight, you probably always will. Its odd tjat it happened in 1 day though and not throughout 7 days prior to your period.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. Happens for me the same I gain around 4-6lbs in one day, usually because I get a massive carb craving a couple of days before too and then 2-3 days later poof gone.

Since I lost some weight (15kg) I have noticed my period eases off earlier, are significantly lighter and I get less cramps than I did before.
  • MysticGoalie
    MysticGoalie Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    bigstock-never-give-up-on-your-dreams-r-51872524.jpg
  • melluc2
    melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It happens. Just keep on track and it will go away after your period. Some months might be worse than others, just depends on what you eat (carb levels, salt) and hormone levels. But if you're doing everything right (no cheating), just be assured that it's only water.
  • SandraNancy
    SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ah, the joys of womanhood. Normal. Totally, irritatingly normal. I gain 5lbs of water weight like clockwork in the week leading up to my period.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. I gain quite a bit of water weight during my period (3-6 pounds) and some months it can look like I am 3 months pregnant from the bloating. Not is discourage you but it actually got worse after I lost weight because it is more noticeable not that I am smaller. I have plenty of lose fitting tops to camouflage it. My best advice is just ride it out. If I have particularly bad bloating one month I make sure I stay hydrated and try to stay under my sodium goal. Sometime a cup of mint tea can help with bloating but don't count on it all the time.
    One important safety tip is DO NOT take any water pills or diuretics, they will end up doing more harm then good in the long run. If you take diuretics regularly they can wreak havoc on your body and mess up your kidneys.

Just remind yourself this is only temporary :)
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't stop and it's not conveniently consistent either. I haven't gotten any water weight this month but I usually do and also usually swell up like a balloon!
  • FiredUPforsinglemoms
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, I was worried but I'm ok now!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Oddly, I usually actually drop a pound in the few days before it starts then bloat up once it has started. I don't think it always worked this way. It is something that has changed since I hit my late 30s/early 40s - a reversal of sorts. Other than that, as far as I am aware, it is perfectly normal for some to gain anything up to 5 or 6 Ibs prior to their period...irritating, but normal.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Totally normal and the bane of my existance lol hate seeing that scale zoom up. Just have to remember to to keep doing what you're doing and it will go again
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Yep... Same thing here.
    Usually up 3-4 lbs suddenly in the days leading to my period. By day 3 of cycle it vanishes.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Mine can be anywhere from 4-10lbs. Totally normal
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I tend to gain about 2-4 pounds if i don't take care of my sodium. So when I know its coming, I actually become stricter that week with my eating. I take care of the salty foods, drink more water and green tea, as well as continuing my workouts (more cardio that week). I haven't gain weight these few months while doing that. By the 2nd day of period i lose the water weight and I usually down a pound or 2.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    You can take natural diuretics. Lemon water with dandelion root pills works pretty well for my wife. Also drinking a gallon of water a day will actually make you retain less water in general. The idea is that if you're not drinking enough water your body will store it.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    So normal! It's a hormone thing not a diet thing.
  • brilliantwords
    brilliantwords Posts: 97 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Ive lost and maintained a 100 lb loss for 8 years. Every month mid-cycle I *suddenly* gain a few extra lbs, which steadily increases along with bloating until my period arrives, typically this can be as much as 5-10 lbs.. it varies. This is with me continuing normal workouts and eating! It literally drops off to normal once expected period arrives. Its normally discouraging, but once you become aware of the patterns and fluctuations, it does help you to stay on track knowing its just temporary.

Its totally normal- dont worry!

Oh, and dandelion root herbal tea DOES help with the water retention in a natural way. Not 100% relief, but definitely makes a difference.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,409 Member
    Options
    There are actual reasons for this other than convenience, but I only stop with the contraceptive pill maybe 3 times per year. Only three times water bloating is a nice side effect <3
  • littlewingbs348
    littlewingbs348 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Happened to me last month so I totally understand. My bloat lasted for almost two weeks! I kept up with my diet though and when the water weight went down I dropped an additional 3 pounds! I'd say just watch sodium intake to help control additional bloating. Feel free to add me!
  • Slimpossible007
    Slimpossible007 Posts: 16,256 Member
    Options
    totally normal ... mine appears overnight then takes a week to go back down .. on the plus side it normally takes a friend or two with it .. leaving me a little lighter on the scale