Dressing for weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I work in an office so as your friend does, i wear dresses that have some strech and blazers. You could also add clothes clips at the back to tighten at the waste and add a cardigan or blazer on top but i dont. The blazer covers the parts of the dress that became big and 1 black blazer and 1 black cardigan goes with everything! I also live in ottawa so it isnt super hot and AC in the buildings make this just fine. The dresses simply become longer as you lose weight lol. Also tights and a nice strechy tunics with belts can go 40lbs difference and still fit on a tall frame!!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    I have a friend's wedding in a month and have nothing suitable to wear, so I've just ordered a wrap dress. Hoping it'll be forgiving enough to continue to wear after I hit goal (17 lbs from now).

I have a closet full of wrap dresses. They are the best thing ever.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and just buy clothes from the local big supermarket at the moment as the supermarkets here most of them have their own clothing range. The quality is just fine and they have some nice casual stuff I would buy anyway as I don't have expensive tastes in clothes. At £6 for a pair of comfy trousers I'm alright with having to replace them. They can just go to charity when I am finished with them.

As for tops I haven't really bought anything new as my weight goes more in the lower part of my body, so I am just enjoying my tops that were getting too tight fitting again or even being a bit loose now :)
  • Stationagentjules
    Stationagentjules Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying the extra space in my closet as I get rid of clothing that no longer fits. I haven't replaced much yet. I have a handful of pieces that currently fit. Less is best until closer to goal. It means doing laundry more often though.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores. Ebay. Buying a few new things not an entire new wardrobe at once. Tailor or learn to alter clothes yourself. Wear a belt.

I don't often wear dresses.
    I can wear clothes that were too tight in my closet that now fit. Button up shirts for example.
    I could still wear all my sweaters.
    My waist was always bigger than my hips so I always wore stretchy waist bands on pants or skirts. Some of my pants are maternity pants and do not look any different if the waist is covered. Since I bought to fit my hip size and they are not changing as much as my waist all of that stuff still fits okay.

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Sales and a few basics.
    Only buy in season what will wear in next month.
    Old navy Wal-Mart ECT.
    I will admit I binged at under armour sample sale a few weeks ago but sports bras matter.
    Basically I own right now that fit
    Work outfits 2
    Workout clothes 3 sets
    Old navy shorts 2
    Basic t shirts from Wal-Mart 4

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Belts for my jeans although I am now on the last belthole so either need to buy a new belt or some new jeans :lol:
    Hammer, nail set and a sacrificial piece of wood. Keep going until it the tail wraps around to your backside.

:)
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Wrap dresses and jersey knit everything- tops, dresses, skirts. Slacks with belt loops. Decent strong belts. Elastic ones preferred so you don't have to worry about boring new holes.
  • lorbor93
    lorbor93 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    leggings and dresses are amazing. when you lose weight, you can always add a belt to accentuate your waist :)
    jeans are the hardest
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    When my clothes were falling off I shopped online at threadup. It was cheap and the clothes were in great condition.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I don't care about fashion so as long as something nominally fits I'm wearing it. I do plan a Goodwill run for clothes when I hit goal however.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Oh yes and check out "Capsule closets" on Pinterest. How to make a whole bunch of outfits, usually a month's worth, out of a few basic, inexpensive pieces.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I wear a lot of skater and maxi dresses for work. I have a small collection of tanks to help account for deeper plunging necklines as I lose. I also have a few belts I can throw on around my waist to tighten up the look of a dress if the elastic starts to get loose. I stick to stretchier jeans and tees for casual wear, which both can last me thru multiple dress sizes. I know that my unisex tshirt size near my goal weight is a large and I can't really go smaller without them being too short or tight in the shoulders (I'm 6'). I shop thrift stores and sales as much as possible.
    There are also often local swap/sale pages on Facebook where people are sometimes looking to switch out parts of their wardrobe for different sizes.