Diet Meals Advice

Options
Need some advice on healthy eating. My workouts are on point, but having trouble with food. There's so much information out there that it's a bit overwhelming.

Replies

• bexmail
    bexmail Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out Nutratarian recipes. High in nutrients, low fat, low carb, and tasty. They are not vegetarian but can be easily adapted if you want vegetarian.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Find out what works for you! Do you like to snack throughout the day? Then try eating 6 smaller meals. Do you like to eat a lot at once? Try intermittent fasting! I found that I fell fuller and satisfied for longer when I eat a plant based diet because of the fiber/carb/protein combo but that means my carb goal is much higher then someone who is on keto. Of course we will both lose weight but through very different ways that suit our needs and lifestyle. Would you mind telling a bit about your eating habits and lifestyle?

And no carbs are not bad, fat is not bad, protein is not a miracle lol just get your macros in with a combo of nutrient rich foods and some treats you will be fine! :)
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Is your goal to lose weight or just to eat healthier?
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you enjoy eating within moderation and within your calorie goal. As long as you're getting adequate protein to fuel your workouts, you can play with macros to suit your preferences. There's no need to limit yourself to only "healthy" foods - if you want a cookie, work it into your calorie goal!

I like finding new recipes to try on AllRecipes.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Is your goal to lose weight or just to eat healthier?

This.

Eating healthier doesn't guarantee weight loss. I ate healthy vegetarian for years and was at my highest weight ever recorded. Now, I pay attention to calories, concentrate on nutrition as well as eat the foods that I love (plus chocolate, cookies, chips, cake, etc). Over 100lbs down. No need to cut out the foods that you love. You just have to eat less and move more.
  • fieldhjunkie
    fieldhjunkie Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    @Fitnessgirl0913 they aren't consistent and I get bored easily. I'll go from a salad to a cheeseburger! And then regret it.

@MommaGem2017, both, I need to lose about 15 lbs, but want to hsve a more consistent healthy lifestyle.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You don't have to feel guilty eating one cheeseburger if it fits your calories. You'll still lose weight. That's setting yourself up for problems later on (becoming afraid of eating food). Aim for a healthy relationship with food.

A cheeseburger isn't "bad". It had protien, fats and carbs.

Food is food. Think of it as energy to fuel your body. Calories matter. You can still be healthy eating your treats just as long as you don't just eat treats and nothing else. Pay attention to your nutrition and have your "cake" too. Balance is key. No need to deprive yourself. Weight loss is hard enough as it is.

Since you have 15lbs to lose, set up mfp to lose .5lb per week. Don't deprive yourself. Eat how you would for the rest of your life. Use a food scale for anything that isn't a pure liquid. Cups/spoons for liquids only.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Nutrition for healthy adults is pretty basic. Eat a variety of foods from all the food groups. Get your five-a-day. Hit your protein and fat goals. Don't consistently overeat.

I think you may have to think about whether "want to be more consistent" and "get bored easily" is like oil and water, or if they indeed can mix.

I think they can be mixed, if you don't have a restrictive idea about "healthy eating". First of all you need to let go of "diet meals". Diet food is made to make you diet. Then let go of good food/bad food - it just makes you want the things you think you shouldn't eat, eat it, eat too much, and regret, and blame yourself, vowing to never touch it again, setting yourself up for wanting it even more, and round and round we go.

You can eat any food you want. It's actually important that you eat food you enjoy. When you enjoy your food, and allow yourself to enjoy it, you will feed yourself consistently because you want to. When you eat regularly, you won't feel the need to overeat. You will also seek out different flavors, different foods, which prevents boredom - and is exactly how you eat healthtily.
  • Smores_24
    Smores_24 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Some of the recipes on the news feed are good " one pot taco bake" is fantastic! I found some good ones on delish.com like mini pizza peppers (no crust) meeting my protein goal helps me a lot and if I'm craving sweets (which doesn't happen much anymore) I have fruit or sugar free chocolate pudding and half a banana. Just keep at it, cheat when you really need too, but stay under your calories. You got this!
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You don't have to feel guilty eating one cheeseburger if it fits your calories. You'll still lose weight. That's setting yourself up for problems later on (becoming afraid of eating food). Aim for a healthy relationship with food.

A cheeseburger isn't "bad". It had protien, fats and carbs.

Food is food. Think of it as energy to fuel your body. Calories matter. You can still be healthy eating your treats just as long as you don't just eat treats and nothing else. Pay attention to your nutrition and have your "cake" too. Balance is key. No need to deprive yourself. Weight loss is hard enough as it is.

Since you have 15lbs to lose, set up mfp to lose .5lb per week. Don't deprive yourself. Eat how you would for the rest of your life. Use a food scale for anything that isn't a pure liquid. Cups/spoons for liquids only.

^^This.^^

I am of the "don't make things unnecessarily complicated" camp. Eat the foods that you enjoy, but within your calorie goal, so you can set yourself up for long-term success. There is no eat to stuff yourself with kale if you hate it. There is no need to avoid the donut if you can fit it into your daily calories.