Have you ever quit caffeine? How did it affect you?

Options
2»

Replies

• MysticGoalie
    MysticGoalie Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Drink coffee when desired, for the taste. Sometimes with piece of chocolat eating seperately.. *yum yum*
  • All_Exits_Lead_Within
    Options
    What are you hoping to gain from avoiding it?

I'm not sure if that's what I want to do. I only drink a cup a day so I'm not addicted or anything I just didn't know if there were any health benefits. I've heard a cup of coffee an hour before cardio helps you burn more fat, but I don't know if that's true. I've also heard people get better quality sleep after quitting but perhaps that's just people who used to drink a lot.
  • tigerblood6
    tigerblood6 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I feel so good after quit coffee!!

I was a student and a worker back then . I need a lot of caffein to make myself awake at night. After I finished my study I decided not ever to taste any coffee or soda drinks. And my body feel great!! I dont have any anxiety or mood problem or headache anymore . My eyesight improoved in the morning . Also I sleep well at night and my body feel marvellous. Its been 3 years now and I still havent taste the coffee yet which is good .
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If it's just a cup I doubt there are any health benefits to quitting. I think caffeine is supposed to be good for you in moderate amounts. I love coffee way too much so always end up drinking much more than I should (not because of addiction, just that it's a drink I enjoy and almost no calories), so quit regularly (usually for Lent as one of my things and at other times) to make sure it's not affecting my sleep and that I don't get hooked. Quitting, if done cold turkey, can be unpleasant for a couple of days -- headache, sleepiness -- but really quite mild, IME, and I wouldn't expect any symptoms if you are only having a cup.

After I quit I usually drink it in more moderate amounts for a while and then tend to increase. I've also just switched part of my consumption to water (I drink lots of water anyway) or herbal teas, and found that works well too. But at the levels you are consuming I wouldn't worry about it.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I gave up completely once a while ago and life wasn't worth living for me or for anyone around me.

I decided that wasn't going to work in the long term, so now I just have one 16oz cup in the morning at work and that will do me for the day. I don't do those fancy-schmancy coffees. Just regular coffee, no sugar, and a splash of half-and-half.

At weekends I'll have a couple of mugs of coffee during the day, but try not to drink it in the afternoon. I also changed to caffeine free Coke.

And there's no way I could give up my pre-run espresso on race days.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If you've quit caffeine before, share your negative/positive experiences. I'm wondering if there's a point to quitting.

I love coffee. I began drinking it when I was 10 years old and now I'm an old lady. I drank as much as I wanted and it never affected me until about a month ago. Then I ended up in the emergency room twice in 2 weeks with scary high blood pressure of 200/100 (mine is normally about 120/80). I shook all over both times for 24 hours. Apparently I've become sensitive to caffeine plus I drank too much of it.

I quit cold turkey. I know you're supposed to taper off caffeine to avoid headaches, but I didn't care. I didn't want any more in my body.

I had a 3 day headache, the worst on day 2. The headache was bad, but not as bad as a migraine. After day 3 I felt normal. I miss coffee, but I'm not going to the ER for it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    About 18 years ago I decided I didn't like how caffeine made me feel. I wasn't heavily consuming caffeine laden drinks and foods but had headaches, insomnia and frequent urination and thought caffeine could be making things worse. I didn't have a negative experience with altering my level of consumption. I mainly just stopped drinking pop with caffeine. I was never a coffee drinker. I felt better than I did so I kept limiting caffeine.
    I can't say I don't consume any caffeine at all now because there is some in chocolate and tea which I still consume but that amount doesn't bother me.

You might cut back gradually on the amount you are taking in. My dh switched to tea instead of coffee when he decided to reduce his caffeine intake.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've gone cold turkey more than a few times... usually when I start feeling like my daily dosages are creeping up and I want to reset my intake.

Takes 3-5 days, and I'm miserable as is everyone around me. I normally try to then take 1-2 weeks decaffeinated before resuming on a lower dose.

OH yeah, Caffeine helps me be less weird, which is a good thing... not so much with the energy or sleep(unless I'm fully decaffeinating for several days, although it could just be that the sleep passes time during DT)
  • ireallylikemuffins
    ireallylikemuffins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda and coffee and replaced them with sparkling water and tea a few months ago (May, I think?).

Cons: At first, it suuuuuucked. I felt tired for the first 2-3 weeks and would go to bed an hour earlier than I had been before. I had bags under my eyes for a while, and would occasionally get headaches. There was also a period of adjustment of getting used to the flavor of sparkling water (the lack of sugar) and tea.
    Pros: But, since quitting I've noticed my skin is clearer and I eat less than when I was drinking diet or regular soda; losing weight has also been a lot easier. The big plus is that I get better sleep now and I have less anxiety episodes. But all my results may also just be a part of losing weight and exercising, so...who knows?

I've had coffee once since quitting and I was wired the entire day; it was a really weird feeling. I've also had soda on occasion, but it's usually a sprite or ginger-ale. Dark soda like Coke and Dr. Pepper taste horrible to me now, which is kind of funny because I used to drink Diet Coke all the time.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Three-four days of headaches, then all was good. After the transition, yeah, more energy, more clarity, less dependence.

And the great part is...on those rare occasions when you do need an extra pop...a double espresso is basically like taking 3 hits of crystal meth, except legally available everywhere... :smile:

• maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I occasionally take a few weeks off caffeine just to make sure I'm not addicted and was off it completely while pregnant, except for a couple of cups of tea (British style!). I've never experienced any issues with headaches etc. When I'm not abstaining, I have a double espresso every morning and 1-2 cups of tea throughout the day.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I refuse. I'm hypothyroid. No coffee = not gonna be able to keep my job for long! I've had doctors suggest it and I said well if you want to guarantee my income and clean my house for me then we'll talk about it. Otherwise no.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've quit cold turkey once before, and I had a nonstop headache for a week. The first 2-3 days were really bad and nothing (careful, some pain relievers have caffeine in them) would help, then it faded to a dull pain that some ibuprofen could take care of. I was also tired and had no energy for about a month. After that I was pretty much business as usual, minus the afternoon headaches if I didn't get my fix soon enough in the morning. Caffeine didn't really give me a boost anymore, it just brought me back to normal.

My doctor recommended that I give up caffeine to see if that lowers my blood pressure. It can have that effect in some people. This time I'm tapering down. I'm going from about 6-7 cans of Coke per day and this week I'm stepping down to two.
  • MikeD0326
    MikeD0326 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Massive headache for two days, then fine.
  • esteruchan
    esteruchan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking sodas about 6 years ago and would only have 1 cup of coffee a day. I quit caffeinated coffee about 6 months ago, because it seemed to give me flares (I have fibromyalgia). I weaned myself off the caffeine by first drinking half caff...then quarter caff...then no caff. I now drink decaf coffee every morning (I love the smell and taste of coffee). Funny thing is if I don't have my decaf coffee, I feel that same tiredness I used to have when I would miss my morning caffeinated coffee. I think (for me, at least) the caffeine wake-up was more psychological. I did have a regular caffeinated coffee a couple months ago because the place I was at didn't have decaf, and I was wired as all get out after. Couldn't sleep for hours. The key to quitting caffeine is weaning little by little so you don't get the nasty withdrawal symptoms.
  • rakeru19
    rakeru19 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I always thought people who didn't drink coffee were something bizarre
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, I go off it now and then, its good for you, shakes, dizzy and headaches, it affects everyone different., its worth doing tho, do that with sugar..., but booze. nope. I will keep my booze.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I quit caffeine basically cold turkey in college and it was hard - headaches were my main side effect. Now I don't drink as much as I did then, and cutting myself down from my usual intake, which I have these days, to ~1c coffee when I was pregnant was not a problem at all. Now I tend to drink 2-3 cups coffee and some caffeinated soft drinks, and feel tapering down would be just as easy as when I did when I was pregnant.