Any success stories from swimming? (Before and after pics)

Options
I was on MFP a few years ago and had a lot of success with it. Unfortunately, over the years, the weight has piled back on so I'm here again! I usually train a few times a week (weight lifting and cardio) but had a nasty injury on holiday that has left me with a pretty horrendous ligament rupture so I can no longer do that. I've just joined the world of swimming as it's pretty much the only form of exercise I can do. Loving it so far but was just wondering if anyone has any success stories from swimming? And how they feel it's helped their journey so far? Would love to see some before and after pictures if anyone has any!
X

Replies

• amyagination
    amyagination Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear some success from the pool! Thankyou, just the bit of motivation I needed
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I don't have any pictures to show you, but I love swimming - I grew up doing it, got away form it in college and then started again as a grad. its my brain clearing time to just think (I have some great - or at least I think so - ideas while swimming)
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I enjoy swimming and am pretty good at it. I have a hard time pushing myself though, I can swim laps for an hour and not be tired. I much prefer running but I too, have an injury (knee) that I deal with off and on when it's an issue I like to get in the pool instead. No before/after pics, just continuing fitness. You're calorie goals and whether you stick to them or not will be the main factor in weight loss, but swimming is awesome for fitness!
  • amyagination
    Options
    Thank you all! Amazing to hear how swimming is helping your journey!
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    just you need to watch out for swimger - the hunger you get from a hard swim session - its a legit thing :)
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    There is some research that supports the theory that post swim hunger is due to your body trying to warm up your core temperature. Therefore I always finish my swims with a dunk in the rehab pool which is kept at 92° or a hot cup of tea immediately out of the pool. I think this is helped keep the hunger under control.

I have no pictures – I just started and only lost 20 pounds – but in the relentless Texas heat running is not something I can do, and even cycling is just exhausting. However when I swim I feel like I could do it for two or three hours.

Good luck to you!
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I have heard that what seems to be "hunger" after the pool can also be due to thirst... I always hit the hot tub for a good 15 minutes and then drink a lot of water - I haven't had any noticeable hunger issues after swimming.

I only swim on the weekends due to time constraints - but, it is a great change of pace - and the zen thing is legit.
  • amyagination
    Options
    Thankfully haven't had too much of the post-swim hunger yet! I keep myself extremely hydrated and that seems to be working for me. I make sure I've got a litre of water with me before I go and it's gone by the time I leave haha!
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I swim a lot and don't usually feel any particular post-swim hunger, but I think it helps that I usually swim in the middle of the day and then go to work or class, or it takes me a while to get home if its after work, so it peters out by the next meal. Sauna or a hot pool is also supposed to help, by raising the body temperature back up.

I also have an underwater mp3 thing (8 dollars on Ebay) and listen to podcasts while swimming, which also helps make it really pleasurable and go by quickly.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    Eat2Brute wrote: »
    De anal fissure is right! I always get really hungry on days that I swim!

Most likely the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

seriously! I think this falls into #autocorrect #fails
  • amyagination
    Options
    tk2222 wrote: »
    I swim a lot and don't usually feel any particular post-swim hunger, but I think it helps that I usually swim in the middle of the day and then go to work or class, or it takes me a while to get home if its after work, so it peters out by the next meal. Sauna or a hot pool is also supposed to help, by raising the body temperature back up.

I also have an underwater mp3 thing (8 dollars on Ebay) and listen to podcasts while swimming, which also helps make it really pleasurable and go by quickly.

Ahhhh I may have to get one. I'm used to doing cardio and having music to distract me so great to know there are options to do so in the pool! Thanks for this :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    tk2222 wrote: »

Ahhhh I may have to get one. I'm used to doing cardio and having music to distract me so great to know there are options to do so in the pool! Thanks for this :)

I splurged and got a waterproof IPod shuffle. I listen to music while swimming which makes getting into the "zone" really easy. Been thinking of trying an audiobook since you can set shuffles to play straight through
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I had a meniscus tear in my knee which prevented me from doing any weight bearing exercises.
    So I took up swimming on the advice of the Physio Therapist, went from a complete non-swimmer who took lessons, learn to swim, level 1,2,3 and then joined the adult swim club. One major advantage of swimming is it is not weather dependant being an indoor pool.

Joining the Adult Swim Club is probably one of the best things I did as it came with a coach/instructor who did the learn to swim lessons so they could see your weakness and would tweak the workouts to give maximum Cardio and Skill improvement. Even with coaching breaks we would routinely get 1600-2000m in a 60 minute session.

Down 89 pounds and the knee is back to 99% so I have added some light weights, running and biking into my routine. Join the Did You Swim Thread to log and keep motivated.
  • amyagination
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Before dieting and starting a swimming program:
    ieewhzvoetur.jpg

So far (76 lb lost):

2l73vaal3703.jpg

I swim a mile 3x a week and also take a water aerobics class. Non pool days, I walk about 3 miles.

Wow, you look incredible!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!