Cabbage recipes? How to use it in a salad?

Options
abbynormalartist
abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
I like cabbage anytime I have it at a restaurant but I've never tried making anything with it at home. Any recipe suggestions?

If I want to use it in a salad, can I just it in place of lettuce? I figure if I prep meals for the week it will hold up better than plain spinach.

Advice appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Use it as an addition to salads. Simple as that. Also, lightly marinated cabbage in lime juice, cumin, cilantro, salt & pepper is an amazing taco topping.

Cabbage does last longer than spinach, so for meal prepping it's a great substitute/addition.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Cabbage sliced to 1/2 inch think "steaks" and brushed with olive oil and a garlic salt, baked in the oven for about an hour, is yummy! Also, the same basic thing or in chunks, wrapped in foil on the grill... We like to chop it into potato-chip size pieces and fry it in a large skillet with turkey smoked sausage and thinly sliced potatoes. Shred it and toss it in a stew for added veggies. Look for a recipe for "unstuffed cabbage rolls", a casserole much easier than rolling up the leaves into little burritos. So many things you can do with cabbage!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Simple Asian cabbage salad - shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, thawed peas and Newman's Sesame Ginger dressing.

Marinated (no mayo) slaw - cabbage, celery, peppers, carrots, onions.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Simple Asian cabbage salad - shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, thawed peas and Newman's Sesame Ginger dressing.

Marinated (no mayo) slaw - cabbage, celery, peppers, carrots, onions.

I buzz it through the food processor and make/include it in various slaws/salads, probably similar to the one above.
    Here's one recipe that I've used that the family likes for a vinegar-based slaw: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/06/vinegar-coleslaw-recipe.html
    The internet has tons of variations, including creamy traditional slaws.

I made this Polish cabbage roll during the cooler months. Will again as the season turns: https://youtu.be/5ckKeuH9j9A
    Yes, that's Jenny Jones who used to be a TV talk host.

I've grilled it (cut through the head to make a thick slice, push a skewer through - carefully - to keep the slice intact; a spritz of oil, shake of garlic powder, S&P or other seasonings of your choice; grill to get some nice markings and it's done). Poster above mentioned doing this in foil, that's great, too (esp. with a veg mix or even with meat mixes Boy Scout foil-pack style). I just usually pop the slices onto my grill's veggie plate or straight onto the grill itself.

It's pretty unlimited. I've been known to chomp on the leaves directly, like lettuce, but some folks find it too firm for that, which is why once it's been shredded/etc. into slaw-sized pieces, it's more popular. Boiling softens it, and thus it's great for adding to soups. Saute is good also, as a main dish with other ingredients, or by itself. Besides the nutritional values, the reason it's such a staple is that there are many things you can do with it.

Good luck ...
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you are a bit adventuresome I really like the slaw recipes at cookieandkate.com. She also just completed a new cookbook with lots of fresh ingredients. Great cookbook with interesting twists.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat a lot raw, because for me it causes digestion issues. I can manage finely shredded cabbage as part of the leafy part of salads. Asian inspired salads with cabbage used for crunch are delicious.

I love it cooked, especially roasted in wedges!
  • blissbeaddesigns
    blissbeaddesigns Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think red cabbage is AWESOME raw and cooked in salad.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    An alter ego posted this in another forum a few hours ago.
    And while we're talking about cabbages and taco fillings I just noticed this article in New York Times Magazine. Why You Should Burn Your Vegetables is about literally burning to black the outer leaves on a cabbage head, then peeling off the black and using whats underneath. I've seen this, and done it, with onions, tomatoes, and tomatillos but never heard of doing it with cabbage. The article goes on to talk about shredding the unburnt cabbage, adding crema and, optionally cilantro, hot sauce, adobo, lime, etc.
    At the end, there are links to the cooking.nytimes site recipes for Hot Slaw, Mexican-Style and homemade Crema made with sour cream, heavy cream, lime juice, and salt.

I remember recent discussions about the NYT limiting access to cooking.nyt to subscribers but guessing there is some number of articles you can access for free.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    And earlier in the same discussion thread there was this:
    Hi Happy and welcome to DC. Saw your post a couple days ago but thought you'd get better advice from members more experienced with canning. Where I live most folks like slaw on pulled pork sandwiches. Would also be great on tacos. If you haven't found what you're looking for yet, you could search slaw recipes and sub red cabbage if necessary. I saw Martha Stewart posted one that you might substitute Cumin for whichever seed she suggested.

Or cabbage in spanish is repollo and you can google that or enter it into the YouTube search box and get a lot of ideas.

Salvdoran pupusa is dish akin to tacos and they are commonly stuffed with a cabbage "slaw", sometimes red, that is often pickled. They call it curtido. So "pupusa" "repollo" and "curtido" are three more search terms that should lead to what you're looking for.

Sorry I don't have a tried and true recipe of my own to give you but maybe this will help.
    Options
    Make egg rolls
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'll shred it to use in salad or sautee it to make stir fry.
  • drakedeborah3384
    drakedeborah3384 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The salad section of the grocery store has some awesome premixed bags. I had a lemon kale salad today. I added some pulled chicken to it a boom I had 2 cups of high nutrient protein packed lunch for under $4 with an entire serving left for tomorrow.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I love it with citrus

Shred a whole wombok cabbage with cilantro, baby spinach leaves and an avocado diced.
    Add 1 cup orange segments. Drizzle over a balsamic dressing and toss well.

Delicious
  • Daveb1355
    Daveb1355 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe.... you really need a mandoline to slice the cabbage super thin. It tastes fresh and light, and my family likes it too.

http://natashaskitchen.com/2016/05/10/cabbage-and-pea-salad/