How do you lose that stubborn water weight?

Options
How can you get rid of that stubborn water weight?

I know they have such thing as like water pills I think, but I thought taken those over the counter was bad for you? Drinking a lot of water 60 fl oz + does that help?

I think a lot of my issue might be I don't drink enough water and I have a lot of fluid built up in my body. :neutral:

Replies

• Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    For your own safety do not take water pills. They can damage your body long term. Unfortunately there is not much you can do about water weight as I learned in a previous post, you just have to ride it out. My best advice is yes keep drinking water but don't go crazy, and try and limit your sodium. Once in a while a cup of mint tea may help with the bloating but you can't count on that.
    Sorry I wish I had better news but to give you, Just tell yourself it is temporary :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Fluid intake is related to water weight gain, though all fluids contribute not just plain water. Sodium and potassium intake can also affect it, as can many food intolerances, medicines, hormones and medical conditions.

Drinking a lot of water is a diuretic and can help. Caffeinated drinks will also help. If your sodium intake is high, lowering it may help. Sweating helps.
  • Jeckia
    Jeckia Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Fluid intake is related to water weight gain, though all fluids contribute not just plain water. Sodium and potassium intake can also affect it, as can many food intolerances, medicines, hormones and medical conditions.

Drinking a lot of water is a diuretic and can help. Caffeinated drinks will also help. If your sodium intake is high, lowering it may help. Sweating helps.

Thank you :)

For your own safety do not take water pills. They can damage your body long term. Unfortunately there is not much you can do about water weight as I learned in a previous post, you just have to ride it out. My best advice is yes keep drinking water but don't go crazy, and try and limit your sodium. Once in a while a cup of mint tea may help with the bloating but you can't count on that.
    Sorry I wish I had better news but to give you, Just tell yourself it is temporary :)

I didn't plan on taking water pills as I didn't think they were good for you. :smile:
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Just wanted to be sure, I am a safety girl! lol I also worked at a vitamin store once upon a time so I know how dangerous some of that stuff can be, don't even get me started on diet pills! :)

• Jeckia
    Jeckia Posts: 77 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Jeckia wrote: »

I know they have such thing as like water pills I think, but I thought taken those over the counter was bad for you? Drinking a lot of water 60 fl oz + does that help?

I think a lot of my issue might be I don't drink enough water and I have a lot of fluid built up in my body. :neutral:

What is your reasoning to lose this "stubborn water weight"?
    Also what on earth is stubborn water weight?

The excess bloat feeling I have in my body. I have Endometriosis so I can't get my period it makes me deathly ill. So im on a medication called lupron. It makes my body feel like its going thru menopause. Fun fun.

But i feel like i just carry this extra water around
  • lorbor93
    lorbor93 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Check your carbohydrate intake. The more carbs your consume, the more water you will retain (dont worry not fat just water). That's why people on low carb diets drop water weight so fast. Drink enough water (to thirst) and cook with pink or brown salt. Make sure your electrolytes are balanced (sodium, magnesium, potassium).
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Water and sodium loading then subsequent cutting can get rid of much of it. It's been used for a long time by athletes that need to make weight classes. That said, you're better off figuring out what's causing it, because once your body balances back out from the loading protocol, it will come right back unless you solve the root cause.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

The excess bloat feeling I have in my body. I have Endometriosis so I can't get my period it makes me deathly ill. So im on a medication called lupron. It makes my body feel like its going thru menopause. Fun fun.

Discuss this with the doctor who prescribed the Lupron. Depending on how much you are consistently carrying around it can cause other health issues, so you doctor may consider prescribing something for it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

Discuss this with the doctor who prescribed the Lupron. Depending on how much you are consistently carrying around it can cause other health issues, so you doctor may consider prescribing something for it.

THIS^^^^ Some of the bloat may also be the Endometriosis .
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Cut your sodium
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

I see. Sorry you have to deal with that side effect. Maybe your Dr. can help
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    If you're actually suffering from oedema and are uncomfortable from the bloating, talk to your doctor about it. That's a specific health problem and needs specific treatment.

But if you just think you're carrying more water weight than you "should be", my advice is to stop fretting over things you can't control. Water weight comes and goes for complicated reasons, and barring very severe oedema, water weight is not stopping you reaching your weight loss goals. Best advice is to ignore it and concentrate on losing fat.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Check first with your Dr for sure
    If nothing there check your sodium intake. It can mess with you something awful. Drink lots of water, spinach and bananas, potassium rich foods help get rid of bloat.