Newbie needs protein ideas

Options
Hi everyone! I noted that my protein continues to be low. I usually have soy milk, peanut butter, beans, and Lean Cuisine entrees. Any ideas on boosting my protein?

Replies

• oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs. 70 cals each
    or just eggs whites. only 17 cals each!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    shrimp - 22g protein per 4oz (just shy of 100cal)

are you vegetarian or vegan?
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Chose protein rich anything. Protein rich vegetables, protein rich yogurts, whatever you can find. I tried to up my protein by adding more "generally high protein" foods like eggs and shrimps, but I realized I felt better when I mixed it up in general, rather than trying to have "one protein, one fat and one carb food" on the plate. So instead of adding more shrimp to the pasta, I will add some peas and swap the pasta for whole grain. Instead of adding nut butter to anything (which for some personal childhood reasons I cannot stand having) I eat protein rich yogurt for breakfast.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine is going to destroy your diet. That's the most important part.

Everything has protein on it, so it really depends on how much your body consumes, meaning, how you workout.
    Do you lift, run, swim... Your protein needs will vary.

I do not eat animal products. So my protein sources vary, a lot.

Beans (Of every shape and color), Lentils(Of every shape and color), rice, spirulina, nuts, hemp seeds, granola (If you can get your hands on LOVE CRUNCH, it is the best granola breakfast and it is organic), chia seeds, raw cacao, bean sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, quinoa, hummous (
    The you have the meat substitutes, tofu, tempeh and other processed stuff based on soy, peas, rice etc.

Now, if you eat animal products, then egg whites, lean cheeses, beef, chicken, milk, fish.

There are also a ton of supplements and protein shakes, both vegan and non-vegan.

Just remember that everything has protein in it. Even spinash has protein in it, so does watercress. The difference is in the quantity.

If you eat more than you need, it will just be a waste. Keep that in mind.
  • Sofia_Garcia
    Sofia_Garcia Posts: 412 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    20 delicious healthy protein foods:
    Eggs; Almonds; Avocato; Chicken breast; Oats; Cottage Chees; greek Yogurt; milk; Brocoli; Lean beef; Tuna; Quinoa; Whey Protein Supplements; lentils; Ezikiel Bread; pumpkin seeds; Fish; Turkey Breast; Shrimp; Brussels sprouts; you can make several meals just combining some of these!

Ways to increase Protein intake:
    - Eat your protein foods first;
    - Snack on chess specially cottage one;
    - Replace cereal; bread or whatever you have in the morning with eggs; banana, oats or whey protein shakes;
    - Boost your whey shakes with peanut butter, almond butter, flaxseeds or chia seeds to get extra protein;
    - Sprinkel almonds on top of your salads, Chicken or turkey breast,Tuna; Salmon or chess and on all food you can add them;
    - Chose High protein foods for every meal;
    - Eat lean jerkey; :)
    - Munchie on jerky (Steamed soybeens) they have more protein than any other veggie!

Im doing a high protein diet and this is what soybeans found out on my own and true some tips from friends!! I like healthy foods so this is my list of heathy protein foods and ways of increass it!
    Dont know if it will work for you but check it out research the foods and see if they are proper to your regime either losing, gaining or maintaining weight.

Hope it helped has much It did me.

• rlilly697
    rlilly697 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The usual Eggs n Chicken, But you might wanna try getting the natural/unflavoured powders!? You can put a scoop in smoothies n shakes! I also put a scoop of peanut butter powder in too sometimes for that extra protein boost!
  • Veganvibesss
    Veganvibesss Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Tofu, spinach, cauliflour, edamame, soya beans, chickpeas, protein shakes, chai seeds, hemp seeds, any nuts, peanut butter, asparagus, beans :)
  • Zengrizzly
    Zengrizzly Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Isopure zero protein powder. Less sweet and artificial tasting and incredible protein intake.
  • Littleshrink4
    Littleshrink4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your great ideas! I know I need to stop having Lean Cuisine. I will have eggs again! I plan to try a lot of the protein ideas. I'll keep you all posted!