Healthy Donut? I knew it was too good to be true...

Options
Christine_72
Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
edited August 2017 in Food and Nutrition
lrbk879vjdvq.png
I was recently made aware of a "healthier" and less calorific donut, so of course i just had to try it. If you look on their website the donuts look like a decent size... and have decent macros.
So i traipsed miles out of my way to buy these donuts. I finally find them in the store, and was shocked at the size of them, where's my magnifying glass! Then was met by the price :open_mouth: $4.29 each! But i traveled all that way, so i bought 2. They are freakan delicious, tastes like a mud cake with icing.

If any of my Aussie cashed up friends feel like indulging, here is the website https://noshu.com.au/donuts/

Based on the average quantity per serving- 45g
Calories 133cal
Protein 4.2g
Sugars* 1.3g
Fat, total 9.6g Trans fats 0.0g
Saturated fat** 7.3g Gluten Nil detected
Carbohydrate 2.8g
Sodium 49mg
Fibre, total 5.4g
Soluble fibre 1.7g

I have attached a picture, so you can see the size, it's chocolate/raspberry. Note: I am not affiliated with the company, I just had to share and was wondering if any of you guys have similar products.

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I been craving donuts lately.. I beem choosing my less favorite.. like instead of filled long john or cinnamon roll with icing.. i will get cake donut or even bismark without icing and eat half and throw other half away.. its not ideal to be eating any of them.. but i dont think i would pay that price for that donut more than once.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I don't usually like "healthier" versions of treats, so I tend not to notice them until everyone's talking about it (like halo top). So not sure if we have anything like that in the US. But that looks yumny.

I must say, I'm not big on cake and cupcakes or cookies. I mean, I eat them sometimes, but I don't crave them or overeat them. But donuts are a different story! A good donut is worth whatever it takes! Glad they were yummy considering the effort and price :smiley:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Aw, mini donuts! We usually only have donut holes, but nothing like that.

*does conversion to US dollars* Damn, that's still $3.38 each for us. No bueno.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I won't be buying them again at that price. I should have twigged when i saw the calories that it would be a 2 bites and it's gone micro donut :lol:
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Ive wanted to try these protein donuts, but can't really justify spending $16 for 4 donuts, plus shipping.

https://www.doughbardoughnuts.com
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    mygrl4meee wrote: »
    I been craving donuts lately.. I beem choosing my less favorite.. like instead of filled long john or cinnamon roll with icing.. i will get cake donut or even bismark without icing and eat half and throw other half away.. its not ideal to be eating any of them.. but i dont think i would pay that price for that donut more than once.

This is what I do,I'm totally addicted to donuts,they make me happy but I found out I'm just as happy with 1/2 of a cake donut with black coffee
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I tried them at my local health food store a couple of months ago.... I didn't like them!

(in other Australian food talk, I spied Skyr and Danone high protein (stevia sweetened) yoghurts at Coles/woolies this week!)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Most so-called low calorie stuff is a gimmick imo. Better to just have half a regular donut as a treat or have a full one and allow for it in your calories. Here we can get mini donuts in boxes which are about 60 calories each. Just regular donuts. Shrunken ones lol. But not marketed as low calorie or diet etc. We also have mini cupcakes which are 95 calories each. Very nice as a small treat.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't spend the money for these.
    I got a doughnut pan to bake my own doughnuts. Lots of recipes to try.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    lrbk879vjdvq.png
    Based on the average quantity per serving- 45g
    Calories 133cal
    Protein 4.2g
    Sugars* 1.3g
    Fat, total 9.6g Trans fats 0.0g
    Saturated fat** 7.3g Gluten Nil detected
    Carbohydrate 2.8g
    Sodium 49mg
    Fibre, total 5.4g
    Soluble fibre 1.7g

That's only 60 less calories than a regular Krispy Kreme glazed doughnut.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    interesting. reminds me of protein cookies :)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You can make any donut (or any food for that matter) pretty easy on the calories if you only eat part of it. I just don't like the "heath tax" put on tiny food that is basically the same as the larger version you can buy at a fraction of the price.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There was a discussion here recently about high protein donuts one makes in silicon donut molds. The responses to the discussion indicated that much favor was bestowed upon the OP. I donwanna search for it myself.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Oooh I'm definitely going to give those protein donuts a go.

@livingleanlivingclean I swear we hone in on the same stuff at the grocery store. I bought a tub of vanilla skyr yesterday, and i used the danone yogurt in my latest cheesecake recipe! I'm still working my way through the chobani flip flavours, tonight it's "Nutty for nana", stupid bloody name lol
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Omg these are adorable and look delicious. I wouldn't spend money on but I would write them and ask for samples or buy them if I ever came across them in store lol.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Omg these are adorable and look delicious. I wouldn't spend money on but I would write them and ask for samples or buy them if I ever came across them in store lol.

They are delicious and tastier than regular donuts, i was half expecting them to taste like bland wheatgerm or something... But just way too small for the price.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Second the vote to just eat Krispy Kreme and call it a day.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Oooh I'm definitely going to give those protein donuts a go.

@livingleanlivingclean I swear we hone in on the same stuff at the grocery store. I bought a tub of vanilla skyr yesterday, and i used the danone yogurt in my latest cheesecake recipe! I'm still working my way through the chobani flip flavours, tonight it's "Nutty for nana", stupid bloody name lol

I spend hours in the supermarket... My husband hates it, I walk up and down every aisle just looking! We bought a couple more flips (my favourite so far is the peanut caramel one) too...we got nutty for Nana, hoping it's not too fake tasting. The shelves were practically empty though, they're obviously popular!

I don't normally buy flavoured Chobani because of the sugar, so Danone might be a good option if I want something other than plain!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Ive wanted to try these protein donuts, but can't really justify spending $16 for 4 donuts, plus shipping.

https://www.doughbardoughnuts.com

I had heard that they weren't that great, that it didn't have the texture of a donut but it was more like a protein bar in the shape of a donut with toppings.