Best calorie burn in 30 min lunch break

Options
DianaGabriela2013
DianaGabriela2013 Posts: 108 Member
edited August 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I would love some advice on what is the best thing to do in 30 minutes for maximum calorie burn.
With 4 small kids at home and working full time its HARD to get exercise in everyday. So what can I do at work? Its only a one story building with stairs to an inventory cage so multiple flights of stairs are not available to me.

Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Exercise for fitness. Go for a brisk walk and boost your heart rate. Do some bathroom squats, some bathroom stall (or desk) push ups.

Calorie burns from half an hour of exercise pale in comparison to calories burned during a day of just doing nothing. Half an hour will not add anything significant. The best way to effect weight loss is by eating less.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I would love some advice on what is the best thing to do in 30 minutes for maximum calorie burn.

The issue with just exercising for calorie expenditure is that you'll get similar results just by eating less. Weight loss is as simple as Calories In vs Calories Out. AS long as you're consuming less energy than you expend you'll lose weight.

With that in mind I'd agree with TeaBea, exercise for fitness. In that sense find something you enjoy. Going for a brisk walk will give you a decent cardiovascular effect, and if you want to establish what your calorie burn is then use a phone app to track your distance and give you an estimate.
  • DianaGabriela2013
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm sorry I guess I should have specified that I am eating a healthy diet. In ADDITION I want to get more activity in my day and decided lunch break was a daily 30 minutes that I can schedule and know I can do for sure.

Currently I go to a long empty back building in our parking lot and circle it. I walk on the front of it and run the back.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I guess I should have specified that I am eating a healthy diet. In ADDITION I want to get more activity in my day and decided lunch break was a daily 30 minutes that I can schedule and know I can do for sure.

Currently I go to a long empty back building in our parking lot and circle it. I walk on the front of it and run the back.

In that case, your best bet is to work on increasing the amount of running in that period until you can run for the full time. Running burns about twice as much as walking, and has a number of both cardiovascular and musculo-skeletal benefits.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    With 4 small kids at home and working full time its HARD to get exercise in everyday. So what can I do at work? Its only a one story building with stairs to an inventory cage so multiple flights of stairs are not available to me.

Thanks for any advice.

probably a run. or cycling hills.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Running or cycling at a fast pace will burn the most calories
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Do you really want to come back to work all sweaty though?
  • DianaGabriela2013
    Options

No I don't : (

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    running is what burns the most calories per minute for me.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I cycle at lunch and burn 300 in 30 minutes, you get sweaty though, bring some wipes, wipe yourself down and if you have long hair just wear it up the rest of the day.
  • etmiller1975
    etmiller1975 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a
    I cycle at lunch and burn 300 in 30 minutes, you get sweaty though, bring some wipes, wipe yourself down and if you have long hair just wear it up the rest of the day.

I have a question on that subject. Using a life fitness stationary bike 30 minutes and 14 miles average for me right now, which is a dramatic improvement over the last three weeks. The unit said I'm only burning 120-35 calories max? I don't have a heart monitor right now, but I thought it seemed rather low? Is that correct.
  • repertoire
    repertoire Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Any chance you can talk your boss into buying (or letting you bring in) a stationary bike or elliptical to toss in an empty room/corner? It could be viewed as staff wellness. I know my employee bought a couple 'stationary bike' desks...that hold your laptop etc. to try to give folks a chance to be active. They put them in the break room...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Well that would be running sprints on the stairs for 30 minutes if you can do it. However, the BEST exercise you can do is one that you will do DAILY in that time period.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Perhaps you could convince your employer to install showers.
  • summerluvin75
    summerluvin75 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How about a desk cycle. You can use it under your desk it is quiet and can be used all day.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Go up and down the back stairs (most building have a second set because of fire codes). Bring a pair of running shoes, and just do stairs....or how we refered to them in track: bleachers. You can also do a quick two minute squat routine once an hour, or inclined push-ups against your desk. Get creative. Look up "office calisthenics" on line for ideas.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    How about a desk cycle. You can use it under your desk it is quiet and can be used all day.

Be careful with those. I got my father one after his surgery to help with recovery. He uses it for 15 minutes on the lightest setting. When I went to pick it up to move it out of the way: it burnt my hand, I had blisters where I touched it. The friction can make parts of it very hot!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

No I don't : (

Either have your employer get a standing desk for you, walk briskly outdoors for 25 minutes, eat less, or as another has mentioned get a desk cycle. There are other things you can do if you seek opportunities to move.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'd rather just eat 100 less calories for lunch lol