What do you do with boos?

Options
JadeQuetzal
JadeQuetzal Posts: 95 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok, to start I am NOT big on drinking. I generally do not like the taste of alcohol.

That said, my mother and I have both had a really rough week at work, and she wants to take me out for a drink. The place we go has drinks I like. I have the menu, but they don't have calories on it. They are served in martini glasses and filled to the brim. There are only like 3 things there that I know I like, but how on earth do I guesstimate this for my diary? When I look up martinis or cocktails, they vary far too much! I planned a light dinner, so I'm sure I could at least have 1 drink without going over much, if at all... but I would like to have 2 (I wouldn't do more than that)

Here's the ingredients that they have listed to a few drinks from there (the top one is my favorite but I seem to recall liking the others at some point?)... any opinions from someone more experienced at this?

crème de bananas, hazelnut liqueur, crème de cacao, irish cream liqueur,
butterscotch schnapps, amaretto, splash of cream and a vanilla rim

whipped vodka, dark cream de cacao, dark
chocolate liqueur, splash of cream, creamy whipped topping
and a chocolate rim to delight the senses

whipped vodka, crème de menthe, crème de cacao, a splash
of cream, creamy whipped topping and a chocolate rim

citrus vodka, watermelon schnapps, watermelon
liqueur, sprite, cranberry juice and a splash of grenadine

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Enter the ingredients seperately and make your best guess or just quick add 1200 calories. If it's rare occasion it's not going to have any lasting impact on your weight loss, you will probably see some water weight gain for a couple of days but it'll disappear soon enough. The last cocktail you listed will be by far the lightest choice, you could also ask for it to be made with club soda instead of sprite as the rest of the ingredients are pretty sweet.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Generally speaking anything with fruit or otherwise sugary flavoring is going to be higher calories - the reason you can't taste the booze in drinks like these is that it's being masked by high caloric mixers. All of those are probably going to be on the high end. That said, if you don't have a drink with your mom very often, I say go for it. Take a run later if you want. For logging, look up the entries for Applebees or TGIFridays and compare their fancy drinks to these.

ETA: I just checked those drinks menus and it looks like they mostly have stuff like your last option - I'd log maybe 300 calories for that, 500 at least for the other three.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Holy cow. I'm getting a sugar rush just reading those ingredients! Since those are all on the sugary side, assume that those drinks are something like 100-125 per ounce. The bartender/server can tell you how many ounces are in the glass. It'll probably be something like 6 oz.

A couple of drinks or being off target for one day won't cause any issues. You'll probably forget all about it by Saturday.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Holy cow. I'm getting a sugar rush just reading those ingredients! Since those are all on the sugary side, assume that those drinks are something like 100-125 per ounce. The bartender/server can tell you how many ounces are in the glass. It'll probably be something like 6 oz.

A couple of drinks or being off target for one day won't cause any issues. You'll probably forget all about it by Saturday.

Yes, ask the bartender how many ounces of booze in the drink total and then log all the liqueurs separately.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Booze, not people who boo you... ok got it.

Vodka and diet coke instead of 1000 calorie cocktails would be a good plan, or stockpile a load of calories earlier in the week!

I clicked on the title with completely different expectations as well!

That top one is likely pretty hefty, calorie-wise. The simpler, the better, generally speaking. Find a pairing of a spirit (gin, vodka, rum, etc.) and a mixer (tonic, juice, etc.) that you enjoy, and try to stick with that for consistency. Easier to guesstimate.
  • DX2JX2
    Options

Vodka and diet coke instead of 1000 calorie cocktails would be a good plan, or stockpile a load of calories earlier in the week!

ewwww...but then she would have to drink vodka and diet coke. I just do 4 shots of whiskey in a row. 320 calories and a drunk that'll last me all night! Efficient and effective.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    edited August 2017
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

ewwww...but then she would have to drink vodka and diet coke. I just do 4 shots of whiskey in a row. 320 calories and a drunk that'll last me all night! Efficient and effective.

Hah, yeah, I'm with you on that one. Vodka and diet coke is a poor substitute for a giant sugary cocktail after a crummy week. Have a giant sugary cocktail, just know that it's basically a piece of cake in drink form, and plan accordingly.
  • JadeQuetzal
    edited August 2017
    Options
    yes, booze, lol. I wrote it up in a hurry as I was about to run out the door to bring my daughter to an appointment. Ok, so I made a deal with my mom to go hiking on sunday since my husband did nothing but complain about how he's too old for this the last time I went with him. She's not really in shape so I'm not sure how much hiking we'll get done, but I'm also going to help her make repairs on her husband's rental on tuesday, so more activity is good.

I ended up having 3 drinks. I'm going to try and pick through the menu later to add ingredients. I don't know what size the drinks are. Here's a pic (not mine, but same place and same glasses). What size would you guess it is ? (mind you it's a hair closer in the pic than the beer)

uh6gnniefj80.jpg

Well, I lost a little weight this morning. I drank a lot of water and did walk (though slowly) around for a couple of hours before going home. Hopefully that helped and I don't gain it back with interest.
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    The beer bottle is 12 ounces so I'd guess that the martini is about 8 ounces.
  • JadeQuetzal
    Options
    Thank you :) I found nearly identical recipes for 2 of them. Just working on the 3rd. I appreciate the help!
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    A standard martini is 4 oz., while the glass itself can hold 5-6 oz. of liquid filled to the brim. That glass looks huge, I'd figure 8 oz. at least.
  • JadeQuetzal
    Options
    I just added it all up. OMG... 1800 in only 3 drinks :s
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    I just added it all up. OMG... 1800 in only 3 drinks :s

It looks freaking delicious, though, and from what you've written, you earned it!
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    1. Enter the ingredients manually
    2. Most cocktails are pretty standard size for ingredients (pony shot of vodka, 1 oz cola, etc) so see if you can find it online

Or: Order a club soda and avoid the alcohol all together. Alcohal is sugar
  • JadeQuetzal
    Options
    They definitely were :D I'll find some way to make up for it though ^.^
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    BabyBear76 wrote: »
    2. Most cocktails are pretty standard size for ingredients (pony shot of vodka, 1 oz cola, etc) so see if you can find it online

Alcohol can contain sugar. Alcohol is not sugar.

Take vodka, for example. It has no sugar. The calories all come from the alcohol.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    BabyBear76 wrote: »

Club soda is a really poor substitute for a delicious sugary cocktail now and then. Life doesn't have to be pain!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I take the boos and turn them into cheers!