Protein shakes

Options
I just recently bought whey protein powder, The brand I bought was Body Fortress it has
60g protein/12g BCAA. I started to take this before working out to see if it helps with muscle soreness, help build muscle and fatigue. My question is does anyone have any other suggestions?

Replies

• Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Can I ask how much you weigh? You probably do not need 60 g of protein in a powder and if you have too much in a shake it can (it might not but it can) cause some pretty uncomfortable diarrhea, where I used to work we called it "the protein runs". Not sure other brands that have BCAA's but Quest makes a really good protein powder in lots of yummy flavors, my favorite is the cookies and cream! That ones has 20 g
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    holy crap... 60mg is A LOT
  • mllrmlmllr07
    mllrmlmllr07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm at 134lbs. I haven't had any problems with "the protein runs" so far think goodness Thanks for your suggestion I will have to try Quest. Do you think my husband who is needing to loss some lbs would be ok with the 60g? I think his weight is around 160 but he is 5,6" and his doctor needs him to slim down due to health problems.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm at 134lbs. I haven't had any problems with "the protein runs" so far think goodness Thanks for your suggestion I will have to try Quest. Do you think my husband who is needing to loss some lbs would be ok with the 60g? I think his weight is around 160 but he is 5,6" and his doctor needs him to slim down due to health problems.

Chances are at 134 your body does not need 60g in a supplement unless you are an elite athlete. If it isn't bothering you and you like it, it is probably fine, let your husband try it and see if it bothers him. Personally I would try and return it (most vitamin stores have a decent return policy with receipt) and get a less dramatic one lol but that is just me :)
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

protein will not help him drop weight. lower food intake or higher exercise will help him drop. decent protein intake per day during this process will help him preserve muscle during the weight loss though. i take 25gm whey supplement at a go. some say that too much protein at a go (that too in liquid form) is useless because a lot is wasted and not absorbed. dont know how true that is.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress Protein Isolate. Love the stuff. They have, unfortunately, been accused of spiking their protein levels, so you may not be getting a full 60g in a 2 scoop shake. But, it's so darn cheap at the local Walmart that I don't mind the fact that it may not be a full 60g in my morning shake. I drink a shake with 2 scoops every single day (weighed by the gram for accuracy) right after my morning workout to help me reach my protein goals. I really don't know if the BCAA's help all that much (kinda seems subjective if you ask me) but the protein itself does help me recover quicker (at least that's what I believe). I've tried without the shakes and tend to be more sore if I don't drink them, but that also usually means I'm then short on my protein goals for the day. Is it the shakes, or the fact that I'm hitting my protein goals? Or.. is it the added BCAA's? Who knows. I just drink it for the protein.

As a side note, when I have the extra $$$ to throw away I buy more expensive brands of protein and use that. Typically I get 24g of protein in those per scoop vs the 30g/scoop of the Body Fortress brands. So is that extra 6g what they are accused of spiking? Who knows. But I can tell you I see no difference in my recovery using the more expensive brands vs the Body Fortress brand. I just stick with it because it's available for about $19 a tub at the local Wal-Mart.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You don't have to take it back, just have half a serving. Unless the scooper is hugeee it's probably 2 scoops to get you to 60g of protein. Just weight out 1/2 a serving
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You don't have to take it back, just have half a serving. Unless the scooper is hugeee it's probably 2 scoops to get you to 60g of protein. Just weight out 1/2 a serving

Correct, if you read the label, 30g = 1 scoop, a full 'serving' for 60g is 2 scoops.
  • jaimydude
    jaimydude Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I get the Premier Protein shakes from Costco. 30g Protein and 160 cals per shake. They have good flavors too.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Can I ask how much you weigh? You probably do not need 60 g of protein in a powder and if you have too much in a shake it can (it might not but it can) cause some pretty uncomfortable diarrhea, where I used to work we called it "the protein runs". Not sure other brands that have BCAA's but Quest makes a really good protein powder in lots of yummy flavors, my favorite is the cookies and cream! That ones has 20 g

All protein powder has BCAAs. They are inherent to their nutritional makeup.

You don't need to buy another brand to reduce your protein intake, just simply take one scoop (30g) instead of two.
  • mllrmlmllr07
    mllrmlmllr07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input! With clean eating, potion control, and exercise I think if I use 1 scoop (30 g) of the protein powder I have it sounds like it will work for me and my husband.