Cheat day? Yeah or nay?

Options
I cheated and it felt good. I had a date with a Primantis sandwhich.

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I agree with @cwolfman13
    I just work the less nutritionally stellar foods, such as chocolate, cake and cookies into my daily intake. I generally have a meal at the weekend which falls outside of my usual weekly foods, such as pizza, chinese or a good steak and dessert, but I don't call it cheating... just having a meal in or out with my boyfriend. Pizza, chinese food and steak can be perfectly balanced meals, albeit calorie dense.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Regular cheat days? Not for me.
    "Cheating" by not restricting myself at an event that includes food (upcoming wedding for example)? Sure! I don't want to just have a jealous look at the wedding cake and then be unhappy at my friends happy day.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    So?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think they are inevitable because I'm not dieting at special occasion parties and celebrations. This is why I have them but don't plan them (unless it's my celebration, of course ;) )
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I've been to Primanti's once since they opened here (Ohio). I just fit it into my goal for the day. But now it does sound good.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    If it fits within my daily calorie goal - it's not a cheat B)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    A treat is not a cheat. I keep it within my calories and exercise more if I have to in order to have enough room.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days, I work my treats into my day. Though I may have a special day where I eat up to maintenance. I don't consider it a cheat though. They are few and far between, I log everything as accurately as possible and if I don't have the nutritional info I find a similar food entry, pick the one with the highest calories and then quick add an extra couple hundred to be on the safe side. I might also work out extra that day and eat a bit less on the surrounding days.

I never have a day where I just throw up my hands, don't track and do whatever I want. I don't like the term "cheat". Yes maybe it's just semantics, but I think that the mentality you have about your relationship with food is really important.
  • lorbor93
    lorbor93 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you define a "cheat" and how it affects you. If you can have a "cheat" in moderation and get back on your health train then I personally don't see an issue (especially if it isn't stalling your weight loss).

For me, if I eat ice cream something really carb heavy i'm often sick the next day and find myself craving more of those foods. To me, it's just easier to not eat these things at all or very sparingly. Do what works for you :)
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I think if you are going to keep at this long-term, you have to allow yourself some treats (even ones that don't fit within your calorie deficit) occasionally. Otherwise, you're just setting yourself up to fail. I'm glad you enjoyed your sandwich! :)
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Instead of cheat days (aka an excuse to binge), I've found a better way of managing my calorie goals.

1. Work small treats into my daily calorie goal. If I want a cookie, I will log it and enjoy it, and perhaps just have a slightly smaller dinner to compensate.

2. Have a "Maintenance" day once and a while. Maintaining a calorie deficit every single day can wear you down, so I like throwing in a day or two a month where I can eat up to my maintenance calories.
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    A cheat MEAL is great . However a cheat day I would never do but that's just me personally
  • jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat, I just get in where I fit in!
  • Veganvibesss
    Veganvibesss Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    No I don't have a cheat day, but I think a cheat snack or meal every once in a while is okay. I feel like a whole day of eating crap would throw me off track and I'd hate myself but one meal or snack is easier to get over for me
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    tjohnson29 wrote: »
    I cheated and it felt good. I had a date with a Primantis sandwhich.

Cheated? Have you told your husband?
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i eat a specific calorie count each day with LCHF. i do that for 9 days.
    day 10 i eat whatever i want. repeat.
    works for me, have lost 35 lbs.
    i do call it a cheat day, or a carb load day. i am not really cheating, though. ;)
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Not for me. A cheat meal or day for me leads to a binge which leads to consuming way to many calories (8000-10000) which just ruins the weekly deficit I had going.
  • moviegirl215
    moviegirl215 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't keep repeatedly cheating than one day is fine but if it leads to more slips than it's bad.