Yoga

Options
So I know Yoga is great for everything in your body but does it have the same benifits if you are doing basic poses and not intense yoga poses??:indifferent:

Replies

• NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    So I know Yoga is great for everything in your body but does it have the same benifits if you are doing basic poses and not intense yoga poses??:indifferent:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Are you asking if you receive the same benefits from doing say Triangle pose as opposed to handstand?

I guess it depends on you.

An comparison: if you run at 5 mph for 30 min every day, you will receive benefits. If it is difficult for you, the benefits are greater than if it is easy. However, you will not burn as many calories or have the same cardiovascular system as someone that can run at 8 mph for 30 min. But you will be doing what is right and challenging for you.

Same is true with yoga. If you do things that are challenging, but still possible, than that is the right place to be. When a yoga teacher says, "if this is easy, go on and do such and such" - if it's not easy, don't go on to the next level. In other words, know what is right for you.

BTW, all yoga poses can be challenging, no matter what your level - they can all be taken to the next level.

Hope that helps.
  • gia80
    gia80 Posts: 8
    Options
    The thing about basic poses (I assume you mean like downward dog, warrior poses, etc.) is that the longer you practice yoga the more you see that you can deepen these and make them more difficult.
    I loooove yoga and it does tone your body and, at least for me, I really notice it in my arms.

My advice is that if you think a pose is too easy, ask your instructor how to deepen it. If she's good, she can show you how to slightly adjust your body and then you will FEEL it.