I'm so freaking frustrated!!!!!!!!! :'(

Options
I've really been proud of myself and how I've been maintaining my journey but the scale says otherwise!!!!!! All week I've been under my 1500 calorie intake, drinking a gallon of water a day and I've been in the gym every single morning!!! So I get on the scale and it says I've gained 6 pounds since the last time I've been on which was a week ago!!!!!!! What the hell? I really wanna cry...wat could this be? Could it be that I got on the scale mid day??? But still 6 pounds?!? Idk wat to do :(

Replies

• TeethOfTheHydra
    TeethOfTheHydra Posts: 63 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If you got on the scale mid-day, then you've got food and fluid etc in you that creates inconsistent measurements. Best to weigh yourself first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. There are plenty of other conditions that could contribute to a temporary elevated weight, so as long as you have confidence in the accuracy of your calories and exercise, then don't sweat it and rock on!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    no one is perfect, been here for years, I maintain now,, it takes time
  • buggleuh749
    buggleuh749 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've also started tracking my period using an app, in addition to tracking my calories. It helps so much being able to look at where I am in my cycle and how it correlates with changes in my weight.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    @kreyolcakee

1. You are a woman, you do realize every woman that menstrates can have weight swings of more than 5lbs during the month.
    2. One week. Give yourself more time, a lot more time. Water retention and weight fluctuations are normal. A few months ago I hit a plateau for a little over 3 weeks, then dropped 8lbs in one week. There is no humanly way possible without surgery to lose 8lbs of fat in one week. It was just that on my "plateau" I was losing fat but retaining water so the scale didn't show it.
    3. Make sure you are being very exact in your logging. Make sure EVERYTHING is measured accurately and precisely on a scale! Also, a lot of people forget to add in cooking oils and "tastes" while they are cooking. Those can add up fast!

Be patient, weight loss isn't linear, it isn't easy, it isn't quick. I have a 150lb difference before and after pic. So, people can see the transformation, what people don't see is the 2 YEARS of ups and downs and how much work it took.

Giving up because of one setback is like slashing your other three tires because the other one got a flat.
  • kreyolcakee
    kreyolcakee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank u all!!!! It was pretty frustrating but I was in panic mode, I thought about it being my cycle... but I'm no where near due, ovulating maybe? & I did have more bread in my diet yesterday than I had all week!! Thank u all for snapping me out of it lol
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,473 Member
    Options
    It's water. You didn't gain 6 lbs.

Control your process. What are the conditions for your weigh in going to be? One official WI per week. Recorded. Same day, time, clothes, conditions every time. It's your official WI. If you sneak a peak mid week, it's not official.

Not only will women retain water, but so will muscles under stress. If you've increased your exercise this week it's another reason for water retention.

Back away from the ledge. 1 week means nothing. Keep you food diary. Keep tracking your weight. Weigh and measure your intake and crunch the numbers. Think long term. Make moderate adjustments if you need to. A moderate calorie deficit over time will work. Few people want to allow for the time.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I know from personal experience how very upsetting it can be to see a rise in the scale number when you feel you have been doing everything right. It can have you second guessing yourself, wondering if you have still been eating too much, wondering if you have exercised enough etc etc. But, everyone here is correct. So many variables can cause weight to fluctuate and all you can do is to try and observe these fluctuations with an analytical eye, maybe using an app that maps out your weight trends over a long period of time.

I can remember one occasion when I ate rather a lot of bakery bread (it was fig and hazelnut and very moreish by itself). The next day my weight was up by 5 Ibs and yes, I almost passed out with horror. But, I took myself off for one of my regular bike rides and the next day, it had all dropped off again. Things like bread hold onto water like nobody's business, lol.

Just continue doing what you have been doing and have a giggle about the strange things the body can do over short periods of time.
  • Nazzle1993
    Nazzle1993 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah its water
  • eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing and trust the process.

I'm in the middle of a random unexplainable spike right now, too, so I know how frustrating it is, but tap into your stubbornness and carry on. Good luck!
  • HellomynameisMOM
    HellomynameisMOM Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is the post I needed today. I am on Day 11 of Beachbody workouts and my own careful, calorie-logging eating plan and have not lost anything. This is usually where I give up and go back to old habits, why not if it's not working? I came here today looking for encouragement to stick with it and keep going, so thanks for this thread. We both can do it! We all can.
  • jaycam1989
    jaycam1989 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you didnt drink all of that water before, it might be it. Also, you probably put on muscle mass (even if you cant see it) from your workouts, which is great, more muscle mass = more calories burning.

Keep on going. Dont beat yourself down.
    It will work.
    You will win and achieve your goals!
  • Numericmama373
    Numericmama373 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ovulating makes me retain just as much water as TOM.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    This is why I disagree with the advice given in a recent MFP article not to weigh yourself more than once a day. Obsessively worrying about the scale is bad, but by weighing several times over the course of one day, you learn about the normal fluctuations in weight due to water, food, and other factors. I gain five to seven pounds every day, and lose it by the next morning.

If you weighed in the middle of the day after rehydrating yourself following a workout, it's not surprising you weighed six pounds more. One pint of water weighs one pound!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I gain 3-5 lbs between 8am and noon every day.
  • Malyssam27
    Malyssam27 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have experienced something similar in the last week! I have been tracking and being at my calorie goal, but gained 2 pounds. I tried on some clothes that didn't fit 2 weeks ago, and They fit better, so I know I am making progress although the scale doesn't show it. Pants don't lie.