Going on holiday....noooooooo

Options
I'm doing well, lost nearly 2 stone since I started in May and feel good. I'm in a really good routine and that helps cus I'm definitely a routine and habits type

I have allowed myself treats but made sure they're logged and that it doesn't become the norm which helps as well as I don't feel I'm suffering

I'm really annoyed as I'm about to go away for 5 days just as I'm starting to feel really good. I'm worried that these 5 days is going to break me as it will be hard to monitor what I eat due to eating out instead of scanning food at home. Obviously I'm not at work those days which is usually when I tend to eat more anyway.

Part of me thinks just record as best I can, allow myself to relax a bit knowing I'm going to be way over my allowance for the week but then make sure I'm back on it when I get back

Anyone else struggle with this?

Replies

• HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Just make better choices . If you go out to eat have them make you some chicken with all purpose seasoning . Seafood . Salads .
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You have a great plan. Portion control is your friend. Have fun.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Where are you going? I always find I do a lot of extra walking when I'm on holiday.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    HOLIDAYS! EAT AND DRINK IT ALL!, come home, and get it back, easy
  • Darrenmh316
    Darrenmh316 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Devon so hopefully yes there will be lots of walking to make up for it. It's only 5 days as well so I guess it's up to me just to keep at it

Just always worry I'm going to go back to my old ways any minute!!! Oh well I'm off to the gym now :)
  • oooooniki
    oooooniki Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    5 days won't break you. Have a nice time and get back to it when you get back.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I would be like "Going on holiday....yesssssssssssss". How much do you think 5 days will affect your loss? Surely you won't regain all of your lost weight no matter how hard you try. If you regain some of it, so what? A pound? 2 pounds? Heck, even if you go for broke and regain 5 (which would require you to pig out until you're bursting at the seams every single one of these 5 days which I doubt you will want to do since it will be annoying and weigh you down), nothing that can't be fixed within a few weeks.

You need to think of the way you are currently eating as something you would be doing for life, and what kind of a life would that be if your diet is ruining enjoyment. Enjoy your time. Make smart choices if that doesn't stress you out (or don't, nothing is worth ruining a vacation). Be active if possible (or don't, if part of your enjoyment involves baking in the sun all day). Just make the best out of it. For a longer vacation I may take some non-stressful measures, for 5 days I may or may not have an action plan, but in all cases I always have a post vacation/holiday/event/dinner out...etc plan where dragging out and being loose with my nutrition is not an option. Your weight is the sum of all the choices you make throughout the year, not the odd day or 5 here and there. As long as you are generally in control most days you'll be fine.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation and enjoy eating healthy yummy food! Seafood, fish, fresh veggies, fruits and berries. Little bit of fresh bread and little bit of desserts wouldn't hurt you, just mind the portions.

If you stay at a hotel with gym, go there every morning. Swim and walk a lot, not sure where you're going but I always walk 10-15 km a day, sometimes even 20 km sightseeing, shopping and enjoying local restaurants.

Have fun and don't stress out! You've developed your new way of life and your new habits won't allow you to gain weight! Relax and enjoy your vacation!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    HOLIDAYS! EAT AND DRINK IT ALL!, come home, and get it back, easy

This.

I eat and drink whatever i want on holiday, walk loads, make some fabulous memories and then weigh myself for a good laugh the day after I get back, and then go back to my deficit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A sense of proportion helps - 5 days won't derail the rest of your life!
    Say you just maintain for 5 days instead of lose, you get to goal weight 5 days later. Big deal.
    Say you gain some weight and it takes a couple of weeks to lose it again. Again - big deal.

I'm at goal weight but this is a ten pound holiday weight gain.
    974l4v3b1qjc.png
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation, don't stress. When I go to Trinidad I try to track my food but it's useless, a lot of food is homemade and some snacks don't have labels.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Five days vacation is five days. The day you get back it's back to your normal life, including your new normal way of eating. Vacation is a break from your normal life. It may include a break from your normal way of eating. It will probably include a break from your normal sleep patterns, your normal physical activities, your normal reading habits, etc. All can go back to normal when you get home. That's all. Don't blow it out of proportion.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Remember, there are people who don't get to go on vacation. I have not been on vacation in decades due to financial issues. It is just five days of your life and you can use those five days to create beautiful and happy memories or you can spend those five days fretting over your calorie intake and a few pounds of temporary weight gain.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Something is wrong when you dread going on holiday. What is it about your current plan that makes you think it will be hard to go back to? I would start there.

Totally this! ^ It's just 5 days! Relax, make reasonable choices and have fun. Get back on track when you get back.
  • Darrenmh316
    Darrenmh316 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    In regards to why im worrying I tend to over analyse anyway and want to be certain something will work before I start. It took a long time for me to start weight loss and once I have I just don't want to lose that routine, my main worry is not the eating on holiday it's that I'll be out of habit when I get back and won't get back into my routine
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    While vacations are to be enjoyed, you DON'T have to be gluttonous while on vacation. I work out daily even on vacation and still stay within a certain calorie range to not gain a bunch of weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png