Fiber issues!

I can't eat fiber due to microscopic colitis. What are some healthy filling foods without fiber?

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    It might help to ask for a referral to a registered dietitian. My grandma went through that for a while, but luckily it was temporary.

Dairy products like yogurt tend to fill me up.
  • Carolmc11
    Carolmc11 Posts: 1 Member
    Jamie7489 wrote: »
    I can't eat fiber due to microscopic colitis. What are some healthy filling foods without fiber?

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited August 2017
    I have Crohn's, and can only eat produce if they're cooked. Anyway, Can you juice fruits and vegetables? or make bone broth with vegetable scraps (drain them after the broth is done cooking)? Those are some ways to get some nutrients in without the fiber.

I am guessing you benefit from Specific Carbohydrate Diet or keto, but would strongly strongly get a referral from your GI doctor for a dietician. Thankfully GI docs have some knowledge regarding both diets, so you could get some advice from yours.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    @Hamsibian I keep on looking at that diet and finally since my proctocolectomy I can actually eat most of the foods in it but all of the foods used to slow down/thicken ileostomy output are illegal (tmi but because water is absorbed in the colon the best you can expect is oatmeal consistency but protein and veggies make it liquidy. The only way to thicken it without imodium or lomotil is eating potatoes, chips, french fries, bread, rice, marshmellows, etc) so no point doing it :(
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    @Hamsibian I keep on looking at that diet and finally since my proctocolectomy I can actually eat most of the foods in it but all of the foods used to slow down/thicken ileostomy output are illegal (tmi but because water is absorbed in the colon the best you can expect is oatmeal consistency but protein and veggies make it liquidy. The only way to thicken it without imodium or lomotil is eating potatoes, chips, french fries, bread, rice, marshmellows, etc) so no point doing it :(

Don't worry about TMI - I've heard it all, and experienced many moments myself. It's so frustrating because with diseases like Crohn's and Colitis, diet changes are purely anecdotal. I was so close to getting surgery, which I wouldn't have minded if it made me feel better, but now I am in the clear. Right now I can only eat vegetables and some fruits as long as they're very well cooked (and peeled in some cases like apples). My sister's weddin is on Saturday, and luckily the catering has offered to cook my meal seperately and are serving me roasted fruit for dessert instead of cake. :D

I am glad though that you can eat most of that food - as long as they're with starches or immodium. Have you been trying to introduce foods over time?