It Takes Time and a Lot of Exercise to Raise HDL Levels

Options
Robertus
Robertus Posts: 558 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
After nearly 3 months of very intense work-outs (eg, swimming 3-miles continuous), 57 lbs weight loss, good diet, I was anxious to see what my cholesterol levels are. I don't remember what my cholesterol and triglyceride levels were in the past, but suffice it to say they were not good.

Pretty good now. Triglycerides 98 (good), total cholesterol 155 (good), LDL 94 (acceptable), but HDL is low: 38

So I did a little research to find out how quickly I should expect to see results from my lifestyle changes. Found out it takes a while for HDL levels to come up:

The volume or amount of exercise performed per week may also influence the magnitude of change in HDL-C levels. Most of the exercise training studies identify a weekly mileage threshold of 7 to 10 miles/week for significant increases in HDL-C. Wood and colleagues (1983) suggested that a threshold of running approximately 8 miles per week over a 1-year period is necessary to increases in HDL-C levels. In addition, Williams et al. (1982) reported that plasma concentrations of HDL-C generally did not begin to change until a threshold exercise level of 10 miles per week was maintained for at least 9 months. Kikkinos and others (1995a) reported significantly higher HDL-C levels in runners that averaged 7 to 10 miles per week. An additional study by Williams (1998) suggested that exercise volume is more important than exercise intensity. He reported that weekly mileage was more strongly correlated to HDL-C levels than exercise intensity. Interestingly, a higher volume of exercise provided significant increases in HDL-C in a shorter period of time. This indicates that there may be a relationship between exercise volume and the length of the training program. For non-runners a caloric expenditure above 1000 kcals per week has also been defined as a threshold dose of exercise to increase HDL-C levels (Drygas et al. 2000). These authors also noted that energy expenditure of &Mac179; 2000 kcals per week is associated with additional increases in HDL-C and that there may be a dose-response relationship between exercise and HDL-C levels.

... Similarly, Seip and colleagues (1993) found significant increases in HDL-C levels in postmenopausal women following 9-12 months of endurance training at 80-90% HRmax.

http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/cholesterolNEW.html

So, don't get discouraged if the results we're looking for take a little longer than we might like. We are in this for the long haul. A lifestyle change is meant to last a lifetime.

Replies

• Robertus
    Options
    Found some of my old cholesterol counts. I think this is when they put me on a statin over 2 years ago:
    - 276 Total cholesterol, 34 HDL, 227 LDL
    - Triglycerides 141
    - Elevated liver enzymes

Three months later, cholesterol was better but triglycerides were worse:
    - 170 Total cholesterol, 38 HDL, 91 LDL
    - Triglycerides 212

My goal is to be off of cholesterol medication at my next doctor's appointment in 6 months.
  • teel27
    teel27 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    stay away from the alcohol, find a good fish oil. Take flax oil, also add ground flax and chia seeds to your diet and you'll boost your HDL
  • Robertus
    edited April 2015
    Options
    teel27 wrote: »
    stay away from the alcohol, find a good fish oil. Take flax oil, also add ground flax and chia seeds to your diet and you'll boost your HDL
    Already doing the ground flaxseed. Can't take fish oil because we're still adjusting my coumadin. Since I've been losing weight, the volume of distribution has been changing with less fat and my INR level has been bouncing around. As for alcohol, I've read that moderate use (1 drink per day for women and men over 65, and up to 2 drinks per day for men under 65) is associated with higher HDL levels:

Moderate use of alcohol has been linked with higher levels of HDL cholesterol. If you choose to drink alcohol, do so in moderation. For healthy adults, that means up to one drink a day for women of all ages and men older than age 65, and up to two drinks a day for men age 65 and younger. If you don't drink alcohol, don't start just to try raising your HDL levels.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/hdl-cholesterol/art-20046388?pg=2
  • Robertus
    Options
    Well after another year of exercise and increasing fitness, I am happy to report that my HDL level has indeed increased into the healthy range. So, if it is any encouragement to others, regular exercise can increase your HDL level, 'though it may take some time. Yay.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    Well after another year of exercise and increasing fitness, I am happy to report that my HDL level has indeed increased into the healthy range. So, if it is any encouragement to others, regular exercise can increase your HDL level, 'though it may take some time. Yay.

Awesome! What were the numbers? You know, for science, please!
  • Robertus
    edited June 2016
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

HDL went from 34 to 38 to 43, not terribly high but within normal parameters and that was during a time of 11 months of relative inactivity. I've since gotten back to a more intense training schedule. Let's see what next year brings.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

HDL went from 34 to 38 to 43, not terribly high but within normal parameters and that was during a time of 11 months of relative inactivity. I've since gotten back to a more intense training schedule. Let's see what next year brings.

Again thanks for sharing and congrats! Glad you met this goal
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I also saw a positive effect on my HDL levels with regular exercise and up to 1 glass of red wine/day as my MD recommended. I think the exercise made the bigger difference, but I won't complain about MD encouraged wine! I never had high LDL, but my HDL was in the low 30s and slowly tapered up over a couple years.