Exercising with an ankle/foot injury

Options
CatM87
CatM87 Posts: 3 Member
edited August 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all, I had a fall a week and a half ago and tore ligaments in my ankle/foot. Does anyone have any tips on what exercise I can do during recovery? I hate that progress towards my fitness goals has halted! Thanks!

Replies

• SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the annoying person who tells you no, but no. Trust me when I say that healing your injury is so much more important than the changes to your fitness while you heal this injury.

Now is not the time to be recommitting to new or different exercise. Your body needs time and energy to heal the injury you sustained. If your health provider recommended little to no activity for 4-8 weeks then that is what you should be doing.

If you are eating at a deficit, I also strongly encourage you to transition up to maintenance as well. The extra calories are needed for the healing process. If you aren't at a deficit, adjusting your calories may or may not be necessary as well.

Injuries are seriously the worst when you are in a fitness and health sweet spot. It hurts the psyche and the progress you are making but a strong healthy and physically able body is worth the break from your goals.

Good luck!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    CatM87 wrote: »
    Hi all, I had a fall a week and a half ago and tore ligaments in my ankle/foot. Does anyone have any tips on what exercise I can do during recovery? I hate that progress towards my fitness goals has halted! Thanks!

I had a badly sprained ankle and that is when I started swimming. I couldn't flutter kick, but I could frog kick so I did my laps using the breast stroke. I also learned about the beans (foam thingies you hold between your legs to prevent you from kicking) so I could do some laps with other strokes, arms only.

I found that swimming was a much more effective workout that I had been doing so I still do it 3x a week.

ETA: I bought a neoprene brace that wraps around the ankle and wore that in the water. I had a boot to wear otherwise.

• cbrealtor55
    cbrealtor55 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am currently in a boot for some nerve issues in my foot. I have tried to lock in my diet and then do upper body and core work as much as I can. Hopefully I will be getting my boot off in another week.