I suck at running. Discuss.

Replies

• mcafton
    mcafton Posts: 190 Member
    I am not too good at it either. knees and lower back hurts. Maybe it will be better if I lose more weight. I really enjoy cycling and do it several times a week. Burn lots of calories.
  • mcafton
    mcafton Posts: 190 Member
    edited August 2017
    I run better on a treadmill as far as pace goes. when I run outside I end up going too fast and burning out.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    mcafton wrote: »
    I am not too good at it either. knees and lower back hurts. Maybe it will be better if I lose more weight. I really enjoy cycling and do it several times a week. Burn lots of calories.

I have two forms of arthritis and a lot of joint pain. Oddly, my joints hurt least when I run.

Switching shoes helped with pain issues during running.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    You sure set your bar awfully high. I wouldn't even attempt 10k runs for now. Just focus on 5k. 10 min mile is an excellent pace considering how long you've run (5k = 3.3 miles).

It takes months to materially lower your time. It took me two years to get down to a 7.5min pace, and I can only do that 1-2 times a season.
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    It does get better. It just takes time.

When I started running I really struggled and was always far behind the others in my running club group.

You just need to carry on, go at your own pace and it will come
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Try reading 'The Art of Running Faster' by Julian Goater and Don Melvin. You may find some of it helpful. Hope that helps x
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    I am relieved to hear that other people experience the same! I've tried running on the treadmill, just short spurts of a minute or so in between fast walking, and I thought my lungs would burst. Gave up on it and settled for elliptical, stair climber and bike instead for cardio.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I am relieved to hear that other people experience the same! I've tried running on the treadmill, just short spurts of a minute or so in between fast walking, and I thought my lungs would burst. Gave up on it and settled for elliptical, stair climber and bike instead for cardio.

Try c25k
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    allyphoe wrote: »
    I am awesome at running, because I run ~13 minute miles. Nothing hurts, my breath is slow and smooth, and there's always more time and distance in my tank when I stop.

If I tried to run 10 minute miles, I would suck at running way more than you do, which to me is not worth having 12 extra minutes to do stuff.

That does sound awesome. I am definitely going to slow down for my next run.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    I hated running. I don't know how many times I tried C25K and failed. I kept getting injured and would give up. This time I finally figured out that I needed to run slower. I probably walk faster than I run, lol. I may be slow, but I enjoy it now.

I also don't like running with others. For one, I'm slow, and I also like to use that to think things through.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    I'm never going to be a runner. It's just not my cup of tea.

That aside, it sounds like you're breathing is a problem. I'm surprised no one else mentioned it, but breathing during running is very important. There are a lot of online resources out there (and books) that can help you with your running and your breathing. I believe if you get control of your breathing the running will be easier for you.
  • hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    First, to everyone who responded before me - thank you! I'm not sure I suck at running, but I'm not so good at it and your responses are so helpful!

I have dreams where I love running. I wake up, go to the gym and get on the treadmill and remember it was all a dream. I run slow - like 4 miles and hour slow. Sometimes I get up to 4.5 mph. I start the C25k program every so often, repeating weeks, and when I realize that I'm able to do it - even just the first two weeks, I feel like I'm ready for the Chicago Marathon (don't worry - I harbor no illusions of that!) But I check my heart rate during the walks and I know that my stamina is getting better and that's a good marker of progress.

I was told once to increase time and then speed. I tend to focus on time more than speed, but only because I'm only racing myself.

My advice, slow down. A lot. Get comfortable at a slow rate, and then build up slowly. You can totally do this.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Run slower.

Really. Don't worry about pace. There is nothing wrong with running an 11-12 minute mile, most of my runs are that pace but very very slowly getting to a higher average pace.

This. Run slow and you'll run longer. Speed will happen in time.

How long have you been running? How are you training for distance?

I've been running for about 4 years and my running pace is about 12 minutes a mile. Summer heat slows me down even more. This morning I ran 7K in 66 minutes. Slow maybe but I did it, in the summer and in the heat.

How are your shoes? They may be causing trouble and making your legs feel tired.

• ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    I disagree with the above: running more miles will make the miles you run feel easier. You will also probably get faster. Training for a 10k will make your 3 mile runs feel easy compared to your longer runs. Same when you go back to doing HMs.

If you are breathing hard on all your runs, you are probably running too fast. You might also want to get checked out for exercise induced asthma.

It's mostly about not overexerting herself. And hey if all it takes is a couple of weeks, great.