The Scale, My Cycle or ME?

Options
The scale that I have gives me conflicting weights during the same weighing session. I took steps to calibrate it and decided as a backup method that whenever I weighed myself I would repeat it 3x to make sure I got the same weight. Well that method isn't as full proof as I thought, I did it this morning and it changed after every 2nd time...there were 4 separate weights. I'm going to go with the highest weight GAINED to keep myself honest. Last Sunday I weighed myself and "lost" roughly 7+ pounds since the last time I weighed myself (roughly 5-6 weeks ago) and less than a week later I have gained quite a bit back. What gives

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The Scale: When you weighed yourself 4 separate times, how different were the weights? Did you move the scale at all? Is it on a flat, hard surface? Have you tried replacing the batteries?

Your Cycle: Can definitely add a bunch of temporary water weight to the scale.

You: Are you logging your food and using a digital scale for that?
  • Tionne31
    Tionne31 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The Scale: When you weighed yourself 4 separate times, how different were the weights? Did you move the scale at all? Is it on a flat, hard surface? Have you tried replacing the batteries?

Your Cycle: Can definitely add a bunch of temporary water weight to the scale.

You: Are you logging your food and using a digital scale for that?

The weights were 185.1, 185.0, 184.6, and 183.4

The scale was on a hard surface and I did not move the scale at all. I have not tried replacing the batteries, but will do so thanks for that tip.

I am logging all my food. I have a digital scale but honestly I really only use it for meat or chopped herbs. But after some time spent on the forums today, I will remedy this practice and weigh EVERYTHING from today forward.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    Make those few changes, wait out your possible hormonal increase, give it a bit of time and see how it goes.

By eliminating the variables (bad batteries and inaccurate logging) you will at least have a better database point going forward. :)

Also, this flowchart may help as well:

6nhn1uwh2b20.jpg

:)
  • Tionne31
    Tionne31 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful and quick response @snickerscharlie!
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    Keep us updated. There's lots of other things that can be tweaked, but making sure the basics are stable and accurate is the first step. :)