Workout corset

Options
Ladies any of you tried workout corset, any recommendations please?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to do that? What do you think it will achieve?
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    My recommendation: unless it's a stabilizer for back/core problems, don't. Why would you wear something that's going to restrict your movement????
  • xandra47
    xandra47 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    That's a thing?! Oh that sounds freaking awful!! Get a weight vest, don't ruin your ribs and organs.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Wearing a corset or any type of super restrictive item during a workout can negatively impact your workout. It can also cause you to overheat easily and it's not going to encourage you to engage your core muscles while exercising which will make your core weaker. Overall it's a bad idea and doesn't do anything the ads say it does.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If the poster is not in the US or a native English speaker, it's possible she means sports bra.
  • cmh308
    cmh308 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If the poster is not in the US or a native English speaker, it's possible she means sports bra.

She probably means a waist trainer.
  • Irmaz777
    Irmaz777 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ^ Yes I meant waist trainer
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Some times I wear a waist cincher, but I wear it because I need support for my back. If you don't need that, don't bother. You'll just weaken your muscles.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Morgenholt wrote: »
    Depending on how tight it is, it can help your core contract harder due to the resistance it provides. But that's me describing a weightlifting belt... You're better off going on a caloric deficit if you want a tighter waist.

Just no.
  • Morgenholt
    Morgenholt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Depending on how tight it is, it can help your core contract harder due to the resistance it provides. But that's me describing a weightlifting belt... You're better off going on a caloric deficit if you want a tighter waist.

Just no.

Hey there, check this article in regards to the benefit of a weightlifting belt:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-belt-and-the-deadlift

"The lifting belt isn't a passive device that works all by itself. One of the ways the belt works is by allowing you to produce a harder muscular contraction against it than you can without it.
    The combination of the harder isometric trunk muscle contraction made possible by the belt, and the fact that the heavier weight you're lifting provides more training stimulus than the lighter weight you'd be lifting otherwise, means that using the belt allows you to get stronger."

Article was written by Mark Rippetoe, of Starting Strength fame.

Like I said in my original post, I was describing a weightlifting belt, not a corset. Calorie deficit is the best way to go when it comes to tightening your waist.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

Just no.

Hey there, check this article in regards to the benefit of a weightlifting belt:

"The lifting belt isn't a passive device that works all by itself. One of the ways the belt works is by allowing you to produce a harder muscular contraction against it than you can without it.
    The combination of the harder isometric trunk muscle contraction made possible by the belt, and the fact that the heavier weight you're lifting provides more training stimulus than the lighter weight you'd be lifting otherwise, means that using the belt allows you to get stronger."

Like I said in my original post, I was describing a weightlifting belt, not a corset. Calorie deficit is the best way to go when it comes to tightening your waist.

Then why on earth are you bringing weight-lifting belts into a corset discussion??
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

A weightlifting belt and a waist trainer are two entirely different things.

OP waist trainers are just another fad the industry gets people to spend $$$ on. Skip it :)
  • Morgenholt
    Morgenholt Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Just no.

Then why on earth are you bringing weight-lifting belts into a corset discussion??

Because it's the same principal. Corset cinches your waist and forces your core to contract all day while you wear it. Unnecessary if you have a solid calorie deficit set.
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Just no.

Because it's the same principal. Corset cinches your waist and forces your core to contract all day while you wear it. Unnecessary if you have a solid calorie deficit set.

Neither the cincher I have worn nor the corset I have worn has forced my core to contract all day. That's not how they work.