Struggling with cravings when you're depressingly lonely

Anyone else really struggle with just wanting to eat for the sake of it, just from feeling so lonely?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    How can you be lonely with a beautiful doggie like that?
  • CarlsbergLewis
    CarlsbergLewis Posts: 186 Member
    She's at my mum's, I don't live with her
  • mlcase61
    mlcase61 Posts: 46 Member
    Yes. But you must find something else to do. Walk your dog, exercise, get a hobby to keep your hands busy.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 3,089 Member
    edited August 2017
    Yes, you are definitely not alone.

If possible, try to get out and do something. Call a friend, go to a movie, go to a park, or for a bike ride or hike.

Unfortunately, I'm giving in today. I'm not proud of it, but it's the truth. :disappointed:
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,169 Member
    Find a park, and take a walk in it. Take your bike out for a spin, if even for just 20 minutes. Go to a yarn store and ask them when their next beginning class is and learn to knit. Go to Meetup.com and look for groups of people with similar interests and meet them. I sometimes met with a group of women to drink coffee for an hour of visiting, and another group to go hiking with. Join a quilt guild. Go to your local museum and spend some time wandering around, enjoying the exhibits. Sign up at a gym and pick one class you will go to every other day. Some of these activities are things to do with other people, which helps a little with getting rid of the loneliness blues. Some of the things to do alone are still engaging and help break up boredom.
  • Veganvibesss
    Veganvibesss Posts: 123 Member
    I get feeling really lonely and depressed quiet often and I crave chocolate cookies and cake when I'm sad, I want to eat everything that's bad but yet have no desire to eat if it's healthy so I just don't stock my house with any junk that way if I want junk and not healthy food I have no choice but to not eat anything at all or to eat something healthy. I do however sometimes want something sweet so bad that I go out and buy it but I try to not let that one bad day that I give in throw me off :/
  • Morgenholt
    Morgenholt Posts: 18 Member
    mlcase61 wrote: »
    Yes. But you must find something else to do. Walk your dog, exercise, get a hobby to keep your hands busy.

This. You need to keep busy, otherwise you'll always resort to food to keep from getting too down.
  • CarlsbergLewis
    CarlsbergLewis Posts: 186 Member
    Thanks guys x
  • lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    I get lonely too. When you live on your own or are not on a relationship it is hard. At the end of the day there can only be so many friends that are free to do something in a week and going out for a couple of hours still leaves another 6 or 8 that I'm not asleep! Yes keep yourself busy and find hobbies etc but I think you also need to learn how to just be on your own without using food as a friend. Easier said than done.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited August 2017
    Think of it this way, does food change the fact that you're lonely? No, it doesn't. You need to address the issue at hand.

Far away from family/friends - call, text, or facetime with them once a week. Volunteer somewhere like an animal shelter where you can interact with both pets and people. Join a club. Meetup has a bunch of local groups with all sorts of interests like book clubs, walking groups, movie goers, etc. I know how much loneliness sucks, and depression is a tough battle to fight. But like everything else in life, only you can change it. Best of luck.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Do you belong to a gym? Volunteer? Get a second job? Take up a new hobby? Put yourself out there and try meeting new people with similar interests.

Maybe sitting down with a counselor or life coach would help.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Even though I'm rarely alone (3 young kids), I still struggle with the lonely feeling and have resorted to mindless eating. I try and get up and move around, clean, read, organize a closet. Anything but eat! lol
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    If you don't feel like venturing out of the house, try some house cleaning, or develop a hobby (I draw/ paint). Volunteering is also an excellent activity when you're feeling lonely!

If you find yourself feeling too lonely to do much of anything besides veg and eat, it is probably time to see a therapist. I did years ago and it helped tremendously. I didn't realize how depressed and "in a fog" I was until I felt better. Then, everything became less of a struggle and i didn't worry so much about being alone. I know it's hard to start but I can't stress enough how much better my life became by changing nothing except my own mind. While I'm still a loner, I'm also more open than i used to be to people and actually have a precious few friends where before I almost never had anyone but my mom to talk to.

Oh, I called a local college psychology department and found super cheap therapy that way. Just a suggestion. Wishing you the best!
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 212 Member
    Yes. I ate myself to near-obesity from loneliness, anxiety, and boredom.

I've made progress, and developed some good defenses, but I'm still learning to deal with emotional eating. It's a long process. But if I can do it, you can too!