Protein Powder

What is your favorite? I am currently using Muscle Milk, but looking for a change.

Replies

• cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Jarrow unflavored. I prefer ones with no artificial crap in them. Also, Consumer Reports did a heavy metals test on several brands and Muscle Milk showed higher levels of heavy metals over the recommended safe level. Check it out for yourself when you have some time. Optimum Nutrition makes decent stuff too (the Natural ones).
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    I usually just get protein powder that has a Nutrition Facts label instead of a Supplement Facts label (in out state, if an item has a Nutrition Facts label on it, then it's covered by SNAP). The current one I'm trying is Anytime Protein, Vanilla flavored, mainly because it has the most protein bang for the buck (20g protein per scoop, 20 scoops).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Biochem, the kind without sugar (it just tastes better to me, although the other kind is okay too). I like vanilla or natural.

The only other ones I have tried in sufficient quantities to comment on are Jay Robb (fine), Optimum Nutrition (I had high hopes for this and don't really like it, although it's okay and so I am finishing it before getting more), Quest (lots of people like these and I don't get it, I don't care for them at all), and a few vegan ones, mainly the Vega with greens (chocolate) (this is awful and has a common problem with all the vegan ones I've tried of not mixing well).

There is huge variation on opinions on these things, it's taste, so I'd recommend getting a bunch of the single serving sizes of various kinds until you know what you like.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Myprotein impact whey Isolate is my top pick

Optimum Nutrition

Quest.
  • kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    I'm not vegan but I like Vega All-in-one in the mixed berry flavor. It tastes good, has 20g of protein and helps me get fruits and veggies. I like to mix it with unsweetened vanilla almond or soy milk.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Optimum Nutrition

Quest.

Just my .02 but I am not a fan of isolates from a texture point if view. They always seem thin and watery to me and lacking in the nice thick mouth feel that I find satiating, I've been using Myofusion for that reason but I ordered whey protein from Myprotein today to try. I got the plain whey instead of the Isolate. We'll see how it goes.....
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    I buy unflavored protein powder from the bulk bins at Winco. I have no idea what brand it is, but it's cheap and goes with anything.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    mmapags wrote: »

Optimum Nutrition

Quest.

Just my .02 but I am not a fan of isolates from a texture point if view. They always seem thin and watery to me and lacking in the nice thick mouth feel that I find satiating, I've been using Myofusion for that reason but I ordered whey protein from Myprotein today to try. I got the plain whey instead of the Isolate. We'll see how it goes.....

I much prefer casein, but gets a little expensive, plus Myprotein only have a choice of boring flavours. I can not use whey concentrate at all because of digestive issues. Being able to use concentrate would make my life so much easier, plus it's a lot cheaper and easier to find. But my hubby threatened to move to the spare bedroom if i continued to use whey concentrate :flushed:

I never drink just straight up protein powder with water or milk, i make a thick smoothie, so i don't notice the thinness or mouth feel.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member

Optimum Nutrition

Quest.

@mmapags - If you like the nice, thick, creamy mouth feel, try a whey/casein mix. Quest and Trutein are both pretty good in both flavor and thickness, and they still mix well in a shaker bottle.
  • mmapags

Optimum Nutrition

Quest.

I much prefer casein, but gets a little expensive, plus Myprotein only have a choice of boring flavours. I can not use whey concentrate at all because of digestive issues. Being able to use concentrate would make my life so much easier, plus it's a lot cheaper and easier to find. But my hubby threatened to move to the spare bedroom if i continued to use whey concentrate :flushed:

]b]I never drink just straight up protein powder with water or milk, i make a thick smoothie, so i don't notice the thinness or mouth feel[/b].

Typically I don't either. Mixed with 1/2 a banana and some berries. Sometimes some yogurt or cottage cheese. I'm trying to get to 150 grams per day. The concentrates just always seem better than the isolates texture wise. And yeah, they can get a little gassy! :s But I use it early enough in the day that it is not usually a problem. :p
  • mmapags
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Optimum Nutrition

Quest.

@mmapags - If you like the nice, thick, creamy mouth feel, try a whey/casein mix. Quest and Trutein are both pretty good in both flavor and thickness, and they still mix well in a shaker bottle.

Will give it a shot if the Myprotein doesn't fill the bill. They are almost always running special discounts on their site so the cost be lb can be great!
  • ShortRound82
    ShortRound82 Posts: 84 Member
    Evlution Stacked Protein is what I use, of course I'm all new but out of all the amazon reviews it had the best bad reviews, if that makes any sense