Brand new, gym phobic, carb addicted - and then I found this

Options
mimaduck83
mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
Hi

After one of my friends was telling me about this site and we had been discussing weight and fitness (neither of us are sticks, but neither of us are the huge either) she got me thinking. I need to lose approx 15kg and as a gym phobic carb addicted woman I am on a constant struggle with my blood sugars too.

So - here I am. I have started my food diary, I've got the running trax from a certain online mp3 store, I dug out my running shoes and starting Monday (not putting it off but this weekend I have a wedding to go to and there is no point starting, failing and feeling rubbish) so Monday, fresh start.

I have a problem though...I HATE running. But I cannot afford to do the exercise I like and enjoy and so I have to make myself like it - hence the clubby, trancy music. Any tips, advice, guidance on how to make running more fun, greatly appreciated.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Replies

• babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Hiya.
    You can also access work-outs on youtube for free, for example I use a belly dancing one, which is fun.
  • myoelastic
    Options
    I started running after working my way down 50lb from 256lb. I didn't actually enjoy running at first it was just free and burned calories. I used to listen to audio books or my favourite music. After I got a bit fitter I started to realise 20 minutes could go by without me checking the clock and seemed to just disappear. Once your respiratory system improves and your fitness improves you can really turn off your brain and just enjoy the fresh air.

A tip would be to start on flat/tarmac and maybe work up to grass/hilly/forest tracks as they are harder work but definitely better for your joints.

Most important, don't over do it, aim for small improvements. 2km per day for a few weeks and work upwards. Or 2 minutes running 1min walking, then 3 mins running and 45 secs walking etc.

Good luck, hope you end up loving it as much as I do!
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Check out Leslie Sanone's DVD's they are walking DVD's but I jog instead and use 1-2 lb hand weights and ankle weights too. Her 5 mile DVD is my favorite, you can do 1-5 miles, it will be up to you.
    Good Luck!
  • LauraWells
    Options
    Here's from one running hater to another: I hate running, too. I started to really focus on my healthier lifestyle last Satruday, and have found that walking 2.01 km at a brisk pace (between 15-20 minutes) helps shake up the routine of running. Also, it's better to start slow rather than start of with running because you will be more likely to not keep running. Also, you can switch up the wolrkout by walking for 5 minutes, run for 2 minutes, walk for 5 minutes, run for 5 minutes, etc., until your desired workout time is completed.

Keep the faith and stick to it because you will feel much better after a few days. I know I do.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Its always hard in the beginning but once you stick it out for a while you will fall in love. Start out slow, and don't give up....its that simple! Good Luck!
  • sinkasc
    sinkasc Posts: 5
    Options
    The only time I enjoy running is when it's over.

Start super slow. When I started running I walked 5 min. and ran 1 min. for about a half an hour. Then I slowly made my way up more and more until I was running (or in my case, jogging very slowly) for the full 30 mins. It's also a good idea to set a goal, like signing up for a 5k race. The feeling you get after running a race, even a short one, is indescribable. You get such a sense of accomplishment...which in turn motivates you to run more. I felt bad about myself because I couldn't even run halfway around a track when I started running in Aug. a few years ago. By May, I had ran a half marathon.

Good Luck to you!
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    awesome...thank you so much, both of you! Actually looking forward to flicking the mp3 player on and pulling my shoes on...I'll let you know how that works out :laugh:

edited because I never expected so many replies!! Thank you...so much! Wow...here goes the start of something new!
  • Section117_Zolos
    Options
    I'm happy you want to make a change! Welcome.

I am of the mind set that you should do exercises you enjoy. I hate running, so I don't do it because I know I will feel defeated and give up. I love spinning, so I stuck witan that and saw result. Just a thought for you.

Good luck!
  • rat70
    rat70 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I just finished the Couch to 5K running program and wrote some tips to maybe help others get through it. It isn't C25K specific and might be of interest.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/298553-ten-tips-for-success-with-the-couch-to-5k

I also posted a plaintive post a couple of weeks ago when I'd had a bad run...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/285875-will-i-ever-love-running?

Some great tips given there too. Good luck! Friend me if you'd like to for support from another novice runner. :smile:
  • Hoteffinmess
    Hoteffinmess Posts: 121
    Options
    I am NOT a runner at all!! However, the couch25k program (www.c25k.com) is amazing! Not only would it break up the monotony of just running, it'll help with endurance and overall fitness. I've been doing it but I'm stuck on the 3rd week intervals. Good luck with whatever you do!!
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just started running a few months ago. It was very hard, and it still is hard, ..... but, I LOVE IT! I never thought I would hear myself say that, but it's my time to do something for myself, to think, to enjoy the outdoors. Not to mention, how it eats up the calories! Good luck!
  • LASH3S
    LASH3S Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I just finished the Couch to 5K running program and wrote some tips to maybe help others get through it. It isn't C25K specific and might be of interest.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/298553-ten-tips-for-success-with-the-couch-to-5k

I also suggest the C25K program.. I am not a runner by any means... but managed to finish a 5K by following that program. It starts you off slowly.. but pushes to do more. GOOD LUCK!
  • purple_punk
    purple_punk Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I started c25k 8 weeks ago, i HATED running and 8 weeks later im running 28 minutes non stop!! i also have running trax mp3 lol i really recommend c25k i finished week 8 today, good luck
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Starting wogging (walking alternating with jogging) about a year ago when it took me 25 minutes per mile. I'm now at 12 minutes per mile and have run in 3 5K races (after the Couch-2-5K program) and am training for my first half marathon. I don't always love the actual running, but I do love, love, love the sense of accomplishment. I love what it has done for my body shape! and I love the calorie burn. Good music and good shoes and I can go for miles and miles... :heart: