I gained 10lbs of muscle in a month!!

Options
B2BB
B2BB Posts: 222 Member
I over hear people making claims like this all the time. I hate to break it to you, but it'd just not physically possible naturally. Even if and only if you are on point in and out if the gym. A realistic goal is more like a half pound to a pound a week at most. So if you gained more than that a week its most likely fat.

Sorry if this is kinda blunt but its a myth that needs to be wiped out!

Replies

• albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I over hear people making claims like this all the time. I hate to break it to you, but it'd just not physically possible naturally. Even if and only if you are on point in and out if the gym. A realistic goal is more like a half pound to a pound a week at most. So if you gained more than that a week its most likely fat.

agreed, not possible
  • Abbzzz
    Abbzzz Posts: 49
    Options
    Lol, i had an obese friend tell me she was seeing a personal trainer who made her do weight training focusing on her bicepts. She became really upset because her arms were getting really large. I felt like saying, well you should probably go to a gym that's not right next to mcdonalds.
    I agree but if people want to believe it then that's ok with me......but someone does need to tell them they look like fools lol.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

ESPECIALLY if they are eating a calorie deficit!
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    Lol, i had an obese friend tell me she was seeing a personal trainer who made her do weight training focusing on her bicepts. She became really upset because her arms were getting really large. I felt like saying, well you should probably go to a gym that's not right next to mcdonalds.
    I agree but if people want to believe it then that's ok with me......but someone does need to tell them they look like fools lol.
    holy **** thats funny!!
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You might gain 8lbs of muscle in a month if you take Steroids and work really really hard, otherwise no way.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

On this one (and I realize you're trying to be funny, but there's something to this comment because I hear this a lot from a LOT of people, and it causes a LOT of women to stop lifting weights because of it which is a travesty to me)... I've found that when you're overweight (or even obese) that when you start to lift weights seriously, you do tend to look bigger because you are starting to develop lean muscle mass and because of that you're retaining water. Add those two things together, put them under a layer of fat, and you're going to look bigger. The key is to KEEP LIFTING...you'll eventually will stop holding onto the water, your metabolism will go up because of the increased lean muscle mass, and you'll eventually lower your overall body fat leading to leaner arms in the process.

Anyhow...just my 2 cents.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Doh!

I got pissed of at the title and came in here to rant!
  • Abbzzz
    Abbzzz Posts: 49
    Options

On this one (and I realize you're trying to be funny, but there's something to this comment because I hear this a lot from a LOT of people, and it causes a LOT of women to stop lifting weights because of it which is a travesty to me)... I've found that when you're overweight (or even obese) that when you start to lift weights seriously, you do tend to look bigger because you are starting to develop lean muscle mass and because of that you're retaining water. Add those two things together, put them under a layer of fat, and you're going to look bigger. The key is to KEEP LIFTING...you'll eventually will stop holding onto the water, your metabolism will go up because of the increased lean muscle mass, and you'll eventually lower your overall body fat leading to leaner arms in the process.

Yes now you mention it i'm sure that's what it was. I'll let her know that when i see her next week at Maccas after her workout. Man her abs did so well with that weightlifting too they were huge....
  • 1_up
    1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I wanted to buy whatever snake oil you were selling!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Women are afraid to lift weights incase they become to muscley. The same as when I was working on aircraft, I made sure never to sit in the seat properly, incase I became a pilot.

I'll never pick up a golf club, just look what happened to Tiger Woods!
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Women are afraid to lift weights incase they become to muscley. The same as when I was working on aircraft, I made sure never to sit in the seat properly, incase I became a pilot.

I'll never pick up a golf club, just look what happened to Tiger Woods!

HA!!!!!!!!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options

If you are overweight and just beginning to lift weights, you need to get with the right trainer. A lot of male trainers train women, and overweight women, the same way they train all of their clients, which is not approproate, and you do risk getting a bit larger initially if you are doing heavy weights and mimimal reps and you have the same layer of subcutaneous fat covering the muscles. A good trainer can help you get stronger and more toned and as you lose some of your bulk from fat, and then in time you can work in more pure strength days with heavier weights and not bulk up.