General update/C25K

Options
Well I've just finished the second week of C25K, I feel bloody great.

Week one was tough, day one of week 2 was tough and then it started getting easier, next step will be week 3.

I'm terrified, it feels like this is when things start ramping up, I'm quarter of the way through now but week 3 looks pretty damn hard.

On the 'general' side of things, I haven't noticed that I have lost any weight as of yet but I have noticed that my belly feels...kind of...squidgy...I've read that this could well be the 'whoosh' effect thing or something like that.

My leg muscles have already started to grow, I've always had pretty thick/muscular legs and the pain is nowhere near as bad as what it was when I started.

The other day once I'd finished on the treadmill I went to step off it and nearly fell over my foot was just kind of floppy for a few minutes but after that I felt absolutely fine, I've just got back from the gym and other than the a little bit of soreness in my knees there is nothing, its a good pain though whereas when I first started I was in agony for a day or two afterwards, I kind of like that little tenderness the following day now.

Oh yeah, I've got over my phobia of the changing rooms in the gym as well, absolutely nothing to worry about there, once you have got your own little routine sorted it's easy.

I'm just looking forward to getting this running thing nailed so I can move onto something else along with it.

anyway that is my little ramble over and done with, cheers for reading (if anyone does)

Replies

• enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    that's awesome and congrats! I am going to have to re-do week 2 - i had a 9 day stretch where i didn't run due to shoes/knees/and school work, so I made the mistake of going out and restarting right where i had left off. Nope. Knees and plantar did not appreciate that whatsoever.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making it through Week 2.
    No matter how hard the upcoming week looks, you're ready for it. Believe in that because it's true.
    Keep running, slow down if you need to but keep running for the alotted time. C25K really works.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats.keep going!
  • leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    enyagoboom wrote: »
    that's awesome and congrats! I am going to have to re-do week 2 - i had a 9 day stretch where i didn't run due to shoes/knees/and school work, so I made the mistake of going out and restarting right where i had left off. Nope. Knees and plantar did not appreciate that whatsoever.

I was thinking about having a few more sessions of week 2 but my problem is that I get a little obsessed with things,

I would end up sticking on week 2 until I was able to go at lightening speed barefoot without so much as taking a single deep breath before I feel happy to move onto the next stage.
    If I start struggling on week 3 then I'll slow it right down and keep trying that one rather than going back to week 2

I'm the same on the piano, I find it impossible to move past a section of a song until I have absolutely mastered it.

I suppose it's a touch of OCD.
  • leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well that was extremely painful, I was in agony whilst I was running today, didn't matter how fast or slow i went.

I think I need to give my body a bit more time to heal.

I'll go back to the gym on Tuesday as normal but I'll just go on the bike and leave the running until Tuesday and see how I get on.

Feels like that was a waste of time today, still I suppose it's a learning curve.

Slow and steady wins the race.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I just finished C25K and believe it or not, even though I was dying the first few weeks, by the end it was a piece of cake. I start C210K Monday and it will only be 6 weeks to go from running for 30 minutes to running 60 minutes, and I'm absolutely confident I'll be able to do it now.

Keep it slow. Remember to breath down, with your belly not your upper chest, and fully inflate your lungs.
    You'll get there!
  • CoueCoue
    CoueCoue Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Well done @leebirm !
    enyagoboom wrote: »
    I am going to have to re-do week 2 - i had a 9 day stretch where i didn't run due to shoes/knees/and school work, so I made the mistake of going out and restarting right where i had left off. Nope. Knees and plantar did not appreciate that whatsoever.

I just completed the second run of week 5. Am feeling very happy and motivated to keep going. However, like you, I'd had a couple of weeks break and went straight back to it (which in hindsight, was silly). I limped home...sharp cramp type pain in the side of my knee. Has continued to today. Hurts when I walk...weirdly more when I take the weight off my leg than when I put weight on it.

Am feeling frustrated. Other than the obvious (keep off it for a day or two) any tips for a) speeding up recovery and b) avoiding similar injury in future?

Thanks everyone.