at a weight loss plateau.. any tips?

Options
doriribaudolax
doriribaudolax Posts: 8 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Please help, i've been the same weight for about 3 weeks. Any tips? thanks!

update: i've been undereating ever since i started.... i don't count calories but i know i've eaten under 1500. I've just joined today & im tryin to eat about 1,500. I'm still looking for tips cause my under eating may not be the culprit! Just trying it out. Thanks for the awesome replies so far! Appreciate it!

Replies

• doriribaudolax
    Options
    BabyBear76 wrote: »
    Please help, i've been the same weight for about 3 weeks. Any tips? thanks!

Don't quit!!!!

I've hit a lot of long plateaus in my weight loss/muscle gaining journey. They are normal. They are also usually due to normal fluctuations and water retention. A few months ago I plateud for a bit over 3 weeks, then dropped nearly 8lbs in one week. There is no humanly possible way (without surgery) to lose 8lbs of fat in one week. I was losing fat that whole month, but retaining water so the scale didn't show it.

Also, changes in diet and exercise can make you retain water.

Be patient as weight loss isn't linear, isn't easy, isn't quick. Just keep working at it every day and you will achieve your goals.

thank you!!!❤
  • doriribaudolax
    Options
    We don't have a lot of details here to work with. Opening your diary so we can take a peek might help you get more specific answers, but otherwise:

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

thanks for the reply!
  • doriribaudolax
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you haven't been counting calories there's no way you can guarantee you're eating less than 1500 calories. Eating too few calories will not cause you to plateau or gain...eating too many will.

well i asked a fitness professional & she said since i have been eating little calories, my body is holding onto the little calories i have been eating & not losing weight. I've only been eating about 3-4x a day & the calories being very little. I'm not counting but it's definitely not over 1500. Idk if that makes sense but yeah lol

They're wrong. Your body doesn't hold onto weight from eating too few calories (commonly referred to as "starvation mode"). Start logging everything you're eating as accurately as possible and you'll see that you're eating more than you think.

ok i will. thanks a lot for reply! (:
  • W_Stewart
    W_Stewart Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Use the app

Drink a lot of water

Increase your activity
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight on a low carb diet.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you start losing weight?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What is your current height and weight? can you post a sample of what a day looks like, regarding food? Even without calorie counting will give some indication
  • doriribaudolax
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    What is your current height and weight? can you post a sample of what a day looks like, regarding food? Even without calorie counting will give some indication
    well i'm currently 145 & im 4'11" (i know i'm short lol) & usually for breakfast i'll have cereal or toast, i'll usually eat them with yogurt or friut. I go to the gym every single day. I usually don't eat lunch i'll have a small snack & then wait until dinner. i'll eat dinner, then have about 1 snack after (usually fruit) & then stop eating after 7pm. I drink water all day as well. I think i'm eating too little.
  • doriribaudolax
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    How long ago did you start losing weight?
    since May 2017
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    well i'm currently 145 & im 4'11" (i know i'm short lol) & usually for breakfast i'll have cereal or toast, i'll usually eat them with yogurt or friut. I go to the gym every single day. I usually don't eat lunch i'll have a small snack & then wait until dinner. i'll eat dinner, then have about 1 snack after (usually fruit) & then stop eating after 7pm. I drink water all day as well. I think i'm eating too little.

so you don't count calories...you obviously don't weigh your food, but you can guarantee that you are eating under 1500 calories?? that makes no sense. Malibu is exactly right in what she said - you don't gain by not eating enough - you gain my eating too much! time for a new "fitness professional" if they are telling you that garbage (actually don't go to a fitness professional for nutritional advice at all!)
  • doriribaudolax
    Options

so you don't count calories...you obviously don't weigh your food, but you can guarantee that you are eating under 1500 calories?? that makes no sense. Malibu is exactly right in what she said - you don't gain by not eating enough - you gain my eating too much! time for a new "fitness professional" if they are telling you that garbage (actually don't go to a fitness professional for nutritional advice at all!)
    ok, thanks for the awesome advice! (:
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    What you think you're eating calorie-wise might be way off. It was an eye opener when I started weighing my food on a scale. I found out I was eating much larger portions than I thought. Wow! And there are so many weird calorie bombs. For instance, I know that nuts are good for you, but a dozen almonds are 150 calories! So my "small snack" was usually 350 to 400 calories.