Protein, falling short every day; ideas?

Options
Afternoon folks; just as the title states, I am falling short on my protein goals almost everyday. I a keeping a 2000 calorie diet with the macro breakdown of 40/30/30. I have tried to increase my protein intake, but seem to have a hard time increasing the protein without increasing fat and/carbs, which I am doing well at hitting my target. I don't want to binge on egg whites (for instance I still need 100 g of protein for today, but my fat and carbs are perfect). Anyone have suggestions on protein packed foods that are BOTH low in fat and carbs; seems I can find foods that are high in protein and low in carbs, but they have too much fat, or high in protein and low in fat, but tend to have too many cabs). Thank you in advance!

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast is my go to.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Chicken, shrimp, pork are all lean sources of protein

Shrimp (raw) - 4oz - 23g protein, 1g fat
    Pork (raw) 4oz - 22g protein, 4g fat
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Tuna in water with a tsp of black pepper is tolerable and 0 fat 0 carb.
    I use that sometimes.
    I also use Hormel Cure 81 sliced Ham. One slice has as much as 14 grams of protein. I trim off the fat and give that to the cats.
    Sometimes I grill a boneless skinless chicken breast to get some protein without fat or carbs.

All my other protein go-to foods have fat that cannot be trimmed away. Sometimes I make yogurt with fat-free powdered milk, so that's a protein source without fat or carbs.
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Lean meats or protein shake. When you run out of carbs and fat that's pretty much all you can do. :-( What I do to ensure this doesn't happen is plan my protein the day before. Filling in the other two are easy. And lean meats egg whites and protein shake are usually necessary in the mix no matter what you do. There is no way around it. You might try dressing up your chicken breast or egg whites with salsa or hot sauce. Those don't have much carbs or fat.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Plan your day before you eat, start by adding a protein source to each meal then add other components around it.

Chicken or turkey breast, white fish/seafood, low fat dairy (although that comes with carbs), use protein powder to bump up protein content in stuff like yoghurt/smoothies. If you eat eggs, use less whole eggs to lower fat but more whites to bump up protein.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It is sucky trying to fill in one macro at the end of the day. I try and get protein in at every meal and then it is a lot easier.