Can anyone give me an advice on types of food intake to follow calorie count?

mrsarribe
mrsarribe Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2017 in Introduce Yourself
I am a morher who cooks for the rest of my family so I eat what they eat. How do I knoow my portioning?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,049 Member
    Food you like! Make the foods you love fit your calorie count. Bulk up with veggies, choose lean cuts of meat, apply some common sense to what you eat, but mostly the important thing is to eat things you like within the parameters of your goal.
  • BOOMbabyBOOMxD
    BOOMbabyBOOMxD Posts: 6 Member
    edited August 2017
    1. I would highly recommend a food scale! There are quite cheap ones at the stores. If you would rather not bother with one, you can think of one "good" portion as roughly the size of a fist. When I cook for myself and other people, I either weigh out my portions, or I guess using the fist approximation.

2. Choose foods that you like! The idea is that you will lose weight if you eat less, not if you eat "clean." Fast foods tend to have high calorie counts without leaving you full, so try to avoid that. Focus on proteins and fats if you get hungry; if you eat just because you're bored though try low calorie snacks (for ex chilled blueberries taste like candies).

3. Don't try to eliminate too much. It might make you start craving your favorites, and then you might fall into a binge cycle. If you do fall into a binge cycle, be truthful with yourself. Log everything you eat.

4. When you buy food with nutrition labels, realize that the calories prominently displayed on the labels are for ONE PORTION, but the container can contain MULTIPLE. Cereal is the worst offender. A single portion of cereal is quite small, but most people don't realize that, so they accidentally overeat while under-counting how much they're eating.

I've been on MFP for 80-ish days and have lost 17 lbs without expending too much effort. It's honestly just about eating less and moving more.