Help Me With a Weight Loss Plan

Options
Ineedweightloss2003
Ineedweightloss2003 Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Currently, I am female, 5'10, and 186 lbs. I really need to slim down and get healthy.

During the day, I get little to no exercise.
I have no idea where or how to start dieting and exercising. Anyone else who was/is in my situation?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What calorie goal did MFP give you? Have you tried logging what you eat and hitting that goal? If not, why not? If you have, what are your issues with it?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    As to exercise: try doing a half hour walk before or after work, or perhaps during your lunch hour. If that is comfortable, either walk longer, or try to walk faster. On weekends, try various activities that will get you moving - go for a swim, a bike ride, a hike, a class at a gym, yoga, etc. Figure out what activities you enjoy doing and focus on those, or keep trying various activities to see if there are numerous things you enjoy doing. If you can't do an exercise class, look online and see what videos appeal to you. Try to build to about 5 hours of relatively brisk movement each week.

For your diet - you can eat what you are eating now, but less of it, or if you know that what you are eating now isn't working for you, then restrict what you are eating (not necessarily eliminate, but cut way back) and focus on eating foods that are less processed - i.e. more fruit, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, etc. Some people like to just track their current diet for a while to see what foods are contributing most to their weight gain. Some of us know already where the problem areas are. For me, I have found that if I eat out a lot (i.e. when travelling) I always gain weight. By cutting back on restaurant meals I eliminate a lot of extra calories. When I cook at home it's easier to eat a healthy meal without a lot of excess fat and with reasonable portions. Too many sweets can also be a problem for me, so I try to limit my treats when I am trying to lose weight.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I lost weight without exercising. Just so so you know... you can lose weight by just counting calories.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    "ideal" weight range for 5'10" female is 132 to 173lbs - so really you are only 13lbs out of the published ideal range...

I would set up your MFP to have a weight loss goal of maybe .5-1lb a week (I'd probably go to the .5 side of the house).

weight/measure EVERYTHING you eat - that was key for me - after a month, reassess where you are

as to being sedentary during the day - set an alarm or something that has you walking for a few minutes every hour - even 250steps will help (that is what my FITBIT gives me per hour)
  • racnsdd
    racnsdd Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am the same height but heavier. I always said I'd never hit 200 and I'm determined not to. So for the first time I'm getting serious. My goal is to weigh and track everything
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,864 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    natasor1 wrote: »
    Walk as fast as u can for 30 min on empty stomach, before work. Then at lunch time before eating lunch. Night walk will not help as long as u had dinner or supper in your stomach. [...]
    Snack only with veggies or nuts (12 almonds). Did u eleminate all sweets and fast arbs?... How about replacing your spagetty boul to a green leaves of salad?
    Are you trying to make life difficult for yourself?
    natasor1 wrote: »
    Eat as much food as a woman of 145 lb wold eat. (If u want to become one)
    A great idea to build up on!