Bariatric Surgery

Options
Hello! My name is Teresa, and I am preparing for the bariatric surgery. I'm looking forward to the weight loss, because I've been taking 27 medications daily. It will truly be a blessing to live life without this much medication!

Replies

• CherylGodfrey1
    CherylGodfrey1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Best of wishes in this endeavor. A coworker of mine lost about 100 lbs and also lost her high blood pressure, diabetes, and sleep apnea. I hope you can get off your meds and feel better.
  • xArlenex
    xArlenex Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello Teresa! Once you start loosing the weight you will see alot of those meds getting remove. Good luck in your surgery. I had mine on june 28 and it been amazing!
  • catic15
    catic15 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, Teresa! I had gastric bypass ten years ago. Started at about 360+, lowest post-surgery weight about 210. Gained some back by the end of year 2, but I've maintained at around 250 for the last 8 years, and for most of that time I was totally off diabetes meds (type 2 diabetic for over 20 years now).

So overall the surgery was a success, but it's really, really important to look at it as more than a way of losing weight. It sounds like that's what you're doing, so good for you!

Just make sure to get lots of protein in the weeks before surgery; you need it to heal afterwards, and at first you'll have trouble getting enough in. Good luck! And if anyone makes a crack about surgery being "the easy way", ignore it - it's just another tool to help improve your health.
  • highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    A lot of people think its a solution; as in a complete problem solve; i know i did when i had mine 11 years ago, but it isn't ... it is a tool and nothing more. But it can be abused or simply have its own problems .... i know .. mine went wrong and causes me a whole different set of problems.

You must come to terms with the mental side of this so much more than the physical alone.

But good luck with your journey.