Keto question

Options
Angiep52
Angiep52 Posts: 9 Member
I was just wondering how long everyone that's following the Keto Diet follows it? I have read that you should only do it for 4-7 day at the most, but I'm not sure how many rest days you should have in between periods.

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    I know people who have done Keto for years, don't know why there would be a 4-7 day limit (unless that was all the person could manage).
  • jlval1989
    jlval1989 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to see where you read that! Everything I've seen says you have to stick to it.
    As I understand, it takes 4-7 days for the body to kick into Ketosis - the last thing you want to do is spend a week eating Keto to get into Ketosis, then eat a boatload of Carbs and kick yourself back out again. Totally counterproductive.
    (Yes, this is probably oversimplified...)
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You can get ketosis test strips to see if you're body is actually in ketosis. I will leave this information here. Remember the goal in weight loss is to simple eat less calories than you burn. So find what works lifestyle wise and you'll never feel like you're dieting.

https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/176/suppl_7/S44/112289/Effects-of-Low-Carbohydrate-Diets-Versus-Low-Fat
  • becrobbie
    becrobbie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Definitely no time limit on keto. I suggest checking out two great YouTube channels, Dr Eric Berg and Dr Darren Schmid, both are excellent sources of information.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You can do it for as long as you feel like doing it if it's not disproportionately unpleasant compared to a typical diet or causes side effects you are not willing to deal with (or something that affects your health). Other than that, no limit. Some people do it for years provided they're on point with their nutrition.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Been Keto for 3 years straight. Beginning 4th year here shortly on September 1st.