Hypothyroidism

Options
I have a thyroid problem and on medication that has made me gain 40 pds. I am soo upset that I can really use a diet plan for my problem

Replies

• Coco_Camm
    Coco_Camm Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism and Im down 28lbs in 10 weeks with eating at a deficit and exercising my *kitten* off.

First, make sure that your thyroid levels are right. Dont mess around with your GP, see an endocrinologist. Then eat well and move often.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Definitely see an endocrinologist. Your meds should not be making you gain weight. They're to balance out/replace your hormones. Once they sort it all out and get your meds right, you should be able to lose with MFP, so long as you're weighing and logging your foods.

All the best! =D
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    1) is the medication mentioned a thyroid medication or something else?
    2) are you getting regular bloodwork to make sure your levels are optimized (if its a new diagnosis, normally blood work ever 3-4 months)

it could take upwards of a year or so to get numbers stabilized and the dosage correct - but gaining 40lbs sounds like another issue (why I asked about other meds). this is something you need to discuss with your endocrinologist

in general hypothyroidism only reduces TDEE from normal by about 200cal a day (not a huge decrease) - it may take some time to figure out your maintaince

measure and weight everything; take your medicine as prescribed (on an empty stomach and don't each for 30-60min after; personally, I do better the longer I wait)
  • JadeQuetzal
    JadeQuetzal Posts: 95 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Ditto. As hypothryoid as one can get (no thyroid). First thing is first. You need to make sure that your medicine is working for you. This may mean multiple adjustments and possibly throwing in t3. You may need to change brands or even try NDT. Make sure ALL levels are good, not just TSH (too many doctors rely on TSH alone). Be mindful that you'll need to adjust your dose(s) if/as you lose weight. Once your levels are where they need to be, diet and exercise are extremely important to help manage thyroid problems. Feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • snorycewton
    snorycewton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on 200mcg of Synthroid daily. You need to see an Endocrinologist. You didn't gain 40lbs because of your thyroid, your condition or because of the medication. At most you gain 5-10 pounds depending on the severity of the thyroid problem. I'm at the higher end of the spectrum when it comes to Thyroid function based on the amount I take daily. I can tell you one thing for certain. The reason I'm 70lbs overweight is because I eat too much of the wrong thing.

Bad news; You can't blame anything other than what you put in your mouth for your weight gain. Period.
    Good news: You and you alone control what goes into your mouth.

Good luck.