I definitely fell off the wagon...

Options
... To the point where I'm considering getting a membership to Planet Fitness. My apartment complex has a small free gym, but it consists of some dumbbells, a couple cardio machines with no discernible purpose, and two of those "total gym" things that constantly look like they're about to fall apart.

I've started and stopped C25K about a dozen times. I've started challenges that didn't last two days. I'm hoping that if I'm actually paying for the bloody thing that I might be more motivated to use it.

I have a heart rate monitor, but I'm not getting a fitness monitor because it's not going to tell me anything new. I am, however, planning on getting myself some lifting gloves.

Replies

• brittanysoffian
    brittanysoffian Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! You can do it!
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Maybe you put too much on yourself at once? Maybe you can set up for a shorter and more doable goals just to build up momentum...like set up a goal to do a short walk every day for one week..or to do like 20 squats for a ten days..or something similar depending on what do you like to do.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Falling off the wagon regarding excercise, your diet, or both? You seem to indicate that you fell off the wagon regarding physical activity - no mention of diet.
  • phumy_healthyhabits
    phumy_healthyhabits Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have come to realize that having a gym membership doesn't automatically mean you will stick to a Regimen. I paid for membership and did go after a few weeks. Since working out at home and using Google for variations it keeps it interesting. Even with my own limited dumbells, skipping rope, resistant bands.
    And realising it's not what others are doing that makes their work out superior but most likely consistency.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Agreeing with phumy, buying something is usually an attempt to placate that voice in your head. It's how exercise bikes end up being clothes racks in basements. The gym business model is based on members who never show up.

A gym membership may be a good reward for later. Instead of a running program, why not try walking first? If you want strength training, those few dumbbells at your apartment gym will do fine. Look on YouTube for some workouts.

Start slow. Work only with as much weight as you can control to have proper form.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Gym memberships can be great....if you go. I would suggest looking up home workouts or using the equipment in the apartment gym. If you use the cardio and some of the other stuff consistently for 60 days (take rest days once a week), then look into a gym membership because you know that you already use workout equipment on a near daily basis.

Buying equipment is also not a good idea if you're not going to use it. That is how I got my home gym: from people selling all kinds of workout equipment because they used it twice in January then never again. So basically I paid 1/3 or less for everything I own. But I know I use it! Nearly daily. If you are going to do home workouts, buying inexpensive equipment (gym/yoga mat - if you have hardwood/tile floors), a jump rope, is fine as it's not that expensive and it's a daily reminder in your home to work out. Lifting gloves aren't that good of an investment, I don't ever use them (the callouses on my hands are proof), but you don't need them until you're lifting some heavy weights.