Gained 8 lbs in a week...Help!

Options
So I'm in a really big dilemma right now. I've got family staying over and in this past week my weight went from 152lbs to 160lbs and I haven't been watching what I eat and I've definitely over indulged. Pizza, ice cream, desserts, cake, biscuits, chocolates...all the bad foods that make me fat. So I've gained 8lbs but I was wondering is it fat or water weight? Because 8lbs of fat would be 28000 calories and I have not eaten that much lol! Also I only did 2 workouts this week so I think my TDEE is even lower...

My question is...how to get back on track and how to keep the calories low whilst indulging because these relatives are still here for another 2 weeks. I'm honestly dreading what's going to happen to me if I continue like this i will end up gaining another 10lbs. And I struggle to lose weight so it's really heartbreaking when I gain it back.

Replies

• jaycam1989
    jaycam1989 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    So I'm in a really big dilemma right now. I've got family staying over and in this past week my weight went from 152lbs to 160lbs and I haven't been watching what I eat and I've definitely over indulged. Pizza, ice cream, desserts, cake, biscuits, chocolates...all the bad foods that make me fat. So I've gained 8lbs but I was wondering is it fat or water weight? Because 8lbs of fat would be 28000 calories and I have not eaten that much lol! Also I only did 2 workouts this week so I think my TDEE is even lower...

My question is...how to get back on track and how to keep the calories low whilst indulging because these relatives are still here for another 2 weeks. I'm honestly dreading what's going to happen to me if I continue like this i will end up gaining another 10lbs. And I struggle to lose weight so it's really heartbreaking when I gain it back.

Anything SALTY will make you retain more water, resulting in more weight on the scale. Reduce sodium and get back on track. It's okay to eat different food than your relatives will be eating. I do it all the time. They should understand what you are doing and remember, your in control of your eating habits, not them, but you, so eat what you NEED to eat.

Its okay to have a cheat meal, but after that meal, hurry up and get back on track before falling off the wagon.

Best of luck,
    Jay
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Majority is water weight. And weight loss is a struggle because the body DOESN'T like to lose fat. That's why it's so efficient at storing it.
    These are times where you prioritize what is important to you. You can still enjoy your family without having to eat more than you need to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • GottaluvFood
    GottaluvFood Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    1. It culd be constipation. Sound like you're eating a lot of starchy foods, which don't pass as easily as yummy veggies & watery fruits. Once you get your body regular again, you may lose a pound or two.
    2. It could be actual weight. I've gained 5 pounds in a week multiple times.

How to keep the calories low for the next 2 weeks?
    1. Stock up & store on the counter yummy, snacky fruits & veggies. Berries? Nectarines? Melons? All low in calories & very, very yummy. Cucumbers? Bell Peppers? They are as lumpatious as the fruit, to me. This is really your best bet.
    2. Predetermine when you will splurge? A really big breakfast? Have a smaller lunch. Dessert everyday? Make you have lots of veggies at lunch.
    3. Focus on quantity. Try to snack on a schedule. Even having dessert everyday is no where near as bad as grazing.
    4. exercise? Can you go for walks with your family?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Portion control is your friend.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Mostly water - sodium, waste from less fiber, glycogen replenishment means your muscles hold more water, too. But probably also some real weight gain. The big question now is how to cope with the next two weeks. Few of us can afford a "cheat month"!

If I were in a similar position I think I would beg my family, my mother in particular since she's the main source of the food flow, for mercy. That and schedule some activities to walk their pants off, such as visiting places which require walking.

Whatever you decide to do, log it. That way you have an idea of what's happening and what to expect. Don't just give up and decide since you clearly ate more than your calories you might as well not bother logging. Logging will help you decide if you really want a whole brownie or maybe half of one, and may motivate you to find some time for exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

I'm sure it's a mixture of fat and water weight, but how much of each is impossible to know right now.

I agree that it's tough when family is with you and they don't eat the way you'd like to. Just do the best you can - eat more veggies and less of the high calorie food, and exercise more. Make sure you're tracking Fiber and work to hit your fiber goal each day - that will help fill you up and block out room for the higher calorie food.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Or, you can enjoy your family, don't restrict unnecessarily, eat at maintenance (even above a few of those days) and cut again afterward. It really is about priorities at a given time. I'm sure you haven't eaten 28,000 over and above whatever your maintenance level is. You'll "whoosh" a good portion of that away whenever that happens. You know how this process works. It'll work after relatives leave too. It's up to you.
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'm sure it's a mixture of fat and water weight, but how much of each is impossible to know right now.

I agree that it's tough when family is with you and they don't eat the way you'd like to. Just do the best you can - eat more veggies and less of the high calorie food, and exercise more. Make sure you're tracking Fiber and work to hit your fiber goal each day - that will help fill you up and block out room for the higher calorie food.

These are fine suggestions too if you're worried. Controlling your eating doesn't mean you have to feel restricted all the time. For some it does, but not everybody. If you feel this will cause you to continue to eat like that then slow yourself down. If you are pretty good with discipline, then this is really not a dilemma - it's just choices.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    mostly water and more inherent waste in your system. I seriously doubt you 28,000 calories over maintenance...for me that would be about 46,200 total calories...about 6,600 total calories per day. I can eat, but I can't eat like that...at least not day in and day out...
  • candilc9
    candilc9 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Tell your family you need to eat (whatever your healthier choice is for that meal) but you'll take a couple (and no more than 2) bites of whatever they are eating. Track everything. High sodium makes you retain water and pizza doesn't really move through the digestive system all that well. I read that you have to eat an additional 3,500 calories a day on top of your maintenance calories to gain a pound a day. You probably didn't do that much damage. You'll be fine!