Setting my Percentages - Losing 3% body fat and gaining lean

Options
Hi guys,

I've been reading on here about tweaking the percentages in MFP to make it a bit more useful for my current diet plan.

I'm getting into shape and looking to jump the last hurdle of dropping my body fat percentage before deciding on my next step.

I currently have a body fat percentage of 10% and am looking to get to 7%. My diet is now consisting mainly of vegetables and meat, high protein and next to no refined carbs (maybe one or two portions of wholemeal bread a week.)

If anyone is doing a similar eating plan, please can I get a recommendation of my percentages? At the minute the carbs seems quite high, although I've just upped the protein to 99g p/d.

Replies

• WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy - so take this advice with a grain of salt - but I have similar goals - wanting to lower my BF% from 19 to about 16 or so. If you're a guy you need WAY more protein! At least a gm per pound of body weight, the men who really bulk up on here seem to eat 200 grams or more a day sometimes.

Definitely watch carbs - maybe try to keep them at or below 25%?

My current macros are 35% carbs, 30% fat, and 35% protein - but I try to keep my carbs under 25% anyway most days and make my protein red.

Good luck and pump that iron! ;)

Edited to add - also HIIT to help burn fat!!!!!
  • sarah829522
    sarah829522 Posts: 139
    Options
    I've heard for guys the protein should be at 1-1.5gm per lb of lean body mass weight. I would check the bodybuilding.com forums they may have some good formulas specific to what you're goals are with wanting 7% body fat.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    10% and am looking to get to 7%.

10%? If your BF is 10%, why do you even need to be here? At that % you'd be seroiusly ripped....
  • rankles
    rankles Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks guys, is that 1g per 1lb of my current weight or my current weight minue my current body fat percentage which I imagine will give me my lean mass weight?

10%? If your BF is 10%, why do you even need to be here? At that % you'd be seroiusly ripped....

I started visiting here when I was about 13 stone, I'm now 11. 10% on some people doesn't make you ripped, although your abs will generally start to show. To maintain it and to lower my body fat percentage requires just as much dietary discipline and exercise as everyone here, just with different focuses!

With my being slightly overweight at the start last year I still have a buildup of fat in the general areas that guys gain fat. Like I say, hopefully this is the last hurdle!
  • WifeMomDVM
    Options
    I think officially it is one gram per pound of lean body mass, so yes you can subtract your fat. I personally aim for 1 lb of all of my weight. I'm one of those shoot high and if I fall short, I'm still ok types (thus why I try to keep my carbs at or below 25%, I give myself that 10% cushion)

This is just what works for me. My macros, by any means, are NOT perfect every day. I'm still a work in progress. :bigsmile:
  • WifeMomDVM
    Options

We all have different goals - for men to get in the extremely lean category they need a BF of less than 9%, to be ripped, men usually need to be 3-6%.

That's the great thing about My Fitness Pal - it's not my weight loss pal, or my fat loss pal, it's all about tracking your individual fitness goals. :flowerforyou:

Edited to add women's stats since someone will likely ask:

WOMEN:

Lean: 16-20%
    Very Lean: less than 15%
    Ripped: 8-12%

To really see your six pack, you’re probably going to have to hit the very lean range.

Again, that’s less than 9% for men and less than 15% for women.
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have changed my goal to custom 50% protein 30% carbs and 20% fat on 1700 calories.
    I am 174 cm and 71kg and around 14% BF (Measured on home scale).
    From everything I read just eat your slow not veggie carbs around your workout and in the morning everything else is veggies and meat. I will try this for 2 weeks and adjust if needed.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Based on your goals you need to keep it low fat, moderate carb, and moderate protein. Are you trying to build muscle mass too, or just cut the fat covering your abs? If you are trying to build size in your muscles, you can do it with both carbs and protein, depending on your training style. If you are more into a body building type of workout, you want more carbs to be able to store more glycogen to get more size in the muscles faster. If you are more into strength when you lift weights, you need more protein to focus on the actual strength building of the muscle fibers.

As for the recommendations for protein, they are done in grams per Kilogram of body weight, not pounds. Anyone who is saying grams per pound is not quoting the actual recommendations and their conversions may or may not be correct. And there's no telling where they get their recommendations. So, what I'm telling you is based on the Institute of Medicine Nutrition Board recommendations as taught in my nutrition minor. (Basically, the nutrition minor at my school is the training for a Registered Dietitian without the internship.)

The average person doing the average workout--0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of total body weight
    An Endurance athlete or heavy exerciser doing a lot of cardio and normal amounts of weight training--1 to 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of total body weight.
    A Strength athlete or heavy exerciser doing a lot of resistance training and normal amounts of cardio--1.5 to 2 grams of protein per kilogram of total body weight.
    The % range for protein is 10-35% of your total calorie intake.
    The % range for fat is 20-35% of your total calorie intake.
    The % range for carbohydrate is 45-65% of your total calorie intake.

In our program for conversions we use the following conversions:

1 kg = 2.2046 pounds
    1 stone = 14 pounds = 6.35 kg

So, 11 stones would be 69.85 kg. At the standard recommendation of 0.8 grams of protein, that would be 55.88 grams of protein per day. As a trainer, I would recommend you do more cardio to help with the fat burning you are trying to achieve, though, so I'd recommend the endurance protein recommendation of 1 to 1.5 grams per kilogram. That would be 69.85 to 104.78 grams of protein per day.

Now to estimate your percentages, you would take the grams of protein and multiply by 4 to get calories from protein and divide by total calories consumed to get protein percentage. After that you estimate the carb and fat percentages based on what is left to consume to meet your calorie needs. I know that is confusing so I'll do an example for you. Sorry, I don't remember if you said how many calories you are eating so I will be using an estimate from my own formula for the calories in the following example.

Calorie needs estimate: 69.85 kg x .1 = 6.985; 69.85 - 6.985 = 62.865 kg lean tissue; 62.865 kg x 24 = 1508.76 BMR; 1508.76 x 1.5 moderate activity factor = 2263.14 total calories expended per day not counting exercise (more would need to be added to this when you exercise, but MFP will do that for you so I'm just estimating the non-exercise values); 2263.14 x 0.8 = 1810.512 Minimum calories per day to lose fat while maintaining muscle.

Low end of endurance range for protein:
    69.85 grams x 4 = 279.4 calories from protein
    279.4 / 1810.5 = 15.4 % calories from protein
    100% - 15.4% = 84.6 % total calories left after protein
    25% from fat--1810.5 x 0.25 = 452.625 calories from fat / 9 calories per gram = 50.29 grams of fat per day
    84.6% - 25% = 59.6% left for carbs
    1810.5 x 0.596 = 1079.058 calories from carbs / 4 calories per gram = 269.76 grams of carbohydrate per day

High end of endurance range for protein:
    104.78 grams x 4 = 419.12 calories from protein
    419.12 / 1810.5 = 23.15% calories from protein
    100% - 23.15% = 76.85% total calories left after protein
    20% from fat--1810.5 x 0.2 = 362 calories from fat / 9 calories per gram = 40.23 grams of fat per day
    76.85% - 20% = 56.85% left for carbs
    1810.5 x 0.5685 = 1029.269 calories from carbs / 4 calories per gram = 257.32 grams of carbohydrate per day
  • rankles
    rankles Posts: 8
    Options
    Based on your goals you need to keep it low fat, moderate carb, and moderate protein. Are you trying to build muscle mass too, or just cut the fat covering your abs? If you are trying to build size in your muscles, you can do it with both carbs and protein, depending on your training style. If you are more into a body building type of workout, you want more carbs to be able to store more glycogen to get more size in the muscles faster. If you are more into strength when you lift weights, you need more protein to focus on the actual strength building of the muscle fibers.

As for the recommendations for protein, they are done in grams per Kilogram of body weight, not pounds. Anyone who is saying grams per pound is not quoting the actual recommendations and their conversions may or may not be correct. And there's no telling where they get their recommendations. So, what I'm telling you is based on the Institute of Medicine Nutrition Board recommendations as taught in my nutrition minor. (Basically, the nutrition minor at my school is the training for a Registered Dietitian without the internship.)

The average person doing the average workout--0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of total body weight
    An Endurance athlete or heavy exerciser doing a lot of cardio and normal amounts of weight training--1 to 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of total body weight.
    A Strength athlete or heavy exerciser doing a lot of resistance training and normal amounts of cardio--1.5 to 2 grams of protein per kilogram of total body weight.
    The % range for protein is 10-35% of your total calorie intake.
    The % range for fat is 20-35% of your total calorie intake.
    The % range for carbohydrate is 45-65% of your total calorie intake.

In our program for conversions we use the following conversions:

1 kg = 2.2046 pounds
    1 stone = 14 pounds = 6.35 kg

So, 11 stones would be 69.85 kg. At the standard recommendation of 0.8 grams of protein, that would be 55.88 grams of protein per day. As a trainer, I would recommend you do more cardio to help with the fat burning you are trying to achieve, though, so I'd recommend the endurance protein recommendation of 1 to 1.5 grams per kilogram. That would be 69.85 to 104.78 grams of protein per day.

Now to estimate your percentages, you would take the grams of protein and multiply by 4 to get calories from protein and divide by total calories consumed to get protein percentage. After that you estimate the carb and fat percentages based on what is left to consume to meet your calorie needs. I know that is confusing so I'll do an example for you. Sorry, I don't remember if you said how many calories you are eating so I will be using an estimate from my own formula for the calories in the following example.

Calorie needs estimate: 69.85 kg x .1 = 6.985; 69.85 - 6.985 = 62.865 kg lean tissue; 62.865 kg x 24 = 1508.76 BMR; 1508.76 x 1.5 moderate activity factor = 2263.14 total calories expended per day not counting exercise (more would need to be added to this when you exercise, but MFP will do that for you so I'm just estimating the non-exercise values); 2263.14 x 0.8 = 1810.512 Minimum calories per day to lose fat while maintaining muscle.

Low end of endurance range for protein:
    69.85 grams x 4 = 279.4 calories from protein
    279.4 / 1810.5 = 15.4 % calories from protein
    100% - 15.4% = 84.6 % total calories left after protein
    25% from fat--1810.5 x 0.25 = 452.625 calories from fat / 9 calories per gram = 50.29 grams of fat per day
    84.6% - 25% = 59.6% left for carbs
    1810.5 x 0.596 = 1079.058 calories from carbs / 4 calories per gram = 269.76 grams of carbohydrate per day

High end of endurance range for protein:
    104.78 grams x 4 = 419.12 calories from protein
    419.12 / 1810.5 = 23.15% calories from protein
    100% - 23.15% = 76.85% total calories left after protein
    20% from fat--1810.5 x 0.2 = 362 calories from fat / 9 calories per gram = 40.23 grams of fat per day
    76.85% - 20% = 56.85% left for carbs
    1810.5 x 0.5685 = 1029.269 calories from carbs / 4 calories per gram = 257.32 grams of carbohydrate per day

Wow, thank you for that it's very informative. This combines with another thread I made, but where did you get the 1.5 multiplier for average calories per day? MFP is estimating around a 1.3 multiplier as it classes me as sedentary at work, so should I adjust MFP to your calculations or go with the MFP assumption?
    I have changed my goal to custom 50% protein 30% carbs and 20% fat on 1700 calories.
    I am 174 cm and 71kg and around 14% BF (Measured on home scale).
    From everything I read just eat your slow not veggie carbs around your workout and in the morning everything else is veggies and meat. I will try this for 2 weeks and adjust if needed.

I;m coming in at the same percentages after the last post. We are also identical weights and almost identical height, so it might be worth keeping a tab on each others progress!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Wow, thank you for that it's very informative. This combines with another thread I made, but where did you get the 1.5 multiplier for average calories per day? MFP is estimating around a 1.3 multiplier as it classes me as sedentary at work, so should I adjust MFP to your calculations or go with the MFP assumption?

I didn't know your activity level so I estimated some activity instead of sedentary. Activity level is based on not counting exercise, but just your normal daily movements.

The PAL (Physical Activity Level) numbers from the IOM:

Sedentary--Less then 30 minutes of walking around a day--1.2 to 1.4
    Low active--30-60 minutes of walking around a day--1.4 to 1.6
    Active--60+ minutes of walking around a day--1.6 to 1.9
    Very Active--Athletes and those in very strenuous jobs like construction, etc.--1.9 to 2.5

Basically, I stick to the mid-range for each category unless someone says they are borderline, then I will use the high end of the lower level or low end of the upper level to try and match their actual activity. Hence, I used 1.5 for Low active.