Calorie-restricting and Studying

Options
The school year's coming up soon (unfortunately :neutral:), and I have to maintain a strict amount of calories in order to lose weight (for me, 1500 calories). Will this affect my brain energy and concentration in courses and while studying? Can anyone relate?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Perhaps. When I'm studying I make the effort to eat more nutritious food, to help keep me healthy and feel good. It's easy to fall in to the trap of convenience foods and stress eating, which I know doesn't make me feel any better long term, and definitely doesn't help with weight loss goals!
  • faji2015
    faji2015 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate with you. I was on restricted calories for around 5 months straight 1200 to 1400. I did lose weight but I couldn't concentrate properly. It became difficult to read and grasp things. The effects lasted for about a year. I struggled in my freshman year at college n end of alevels. Now, after being on maintenance for a year I am fine now.

Ps. Not bragging but I am a high achiever and currently studying in no 1 uni of my country. So studying has never been an issue for me until calorie restriction.
  • myfitnessjourneyto180
    Options
    I guess I'll just need to eat more clean with better volume under the calorie restriction and maybe one cheat day with pure junk food (still under or at 1500 calories for the day).
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    It probably will. My "work" is studying (PhD student). Some days I am just fine with lots of water and little food while working, others I can't seem to focus for a whole minute unless I get some food in me. Snacking on almonds helps a lot. I put out the amount I am planning to eat for the day on my desk and then I can just 'mindlessly' grab one. There is no more chocolate in my desk. Only almonds and some tea bags.
    If someone puts food in the coffee room (usually cake/cupcakes or just sweets) I sometimes have a little bit if my brain seems especially dizzy.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your question is a bit wrong. To lose weight, you need to restrict calories, but to lose weight healthily, you can't restrict too much. It's only when you restrict too much, that concentration and energy suffers. Restricting too much also leads to regain. 1500 calories is the lowest MFP will go, and is only suitable for the shorter, older and sedentary. Aim for a higher, but more consistent, calorie intake. I would also recommend dropping the ideas of "clean" food and "cheat days". A higher, but more consistent, calorie intake will eliminate the need to eat specific things, and eating enough and food you like, will reduce the cravings for junk food.
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have found out that things I have genuine interest in, like learning a language I like or solving an interesting math problem, actually help me with weight loss by keeping me distracted from the food.

What I do struggle with are things in which I don't have genuine interest, things which I perceive as a boring chore, things that need to talk myself into doing by offering myself a cup of hot chocolate or cookies or something like that.

But, because of the first, I believe that our brain is capable of fully functioning on the caloric deficit. It's our believes that makes us question that over and over again. :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Your question is a bit wrong. To lose weight, you need to restrict calories, but to lose weight healthily, you can't restrict too much. It's only when you restrict too much, that concentration and energy suffers. Restricting too much also leads to regain. 1500 calories is the lowest MFP will go, and is only suitable for the shorter, older and sedentary. Aim for a higher, but more consistent, calorie intake. I would also recommend dropping the ideas of "clean" food and "cheat days". A higher, but more consistent, calorie intake will eliminate the need to eat specific things, and eating enough and food you like, will reduce the cravings for junk food.

^^^This. Additionally, a regular workout routine can help with studying.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I cannot concentrate deeply enough to remember anything when hungry. Not even on the subjects I love enough to study voluntarily.

This is not the case for everyone, but it is for me. So I say that you might want to schedule revision, coursework and general home study for after meals.
  • Getmehealthy101
    Getmehealthy101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was on a strict calorie restricted diet whilst studying and my grades and I l were perfectly fine. I would recommend you to take your vitamins, get enough sleep and stay hydrated. If you are feeling hungry or less focused I would recommend a high carb fruit such as a banana which stays within your daily calorie goal. You should be fine it's more mind over matter!
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    daneejela wrote: »
    I have found out that things I have genuine interest in, like learning a language I like or solving an interesting math problem, actually help me with weight loss by keeping me distracted from the food.

What I do struggle with are things in which I don't have genuine interest, things which I perceive as a boring chore, things that need to talk myself into doing by offering myself a cup of hot chocolate or cookies or something like that.

But, because of the first, I believe that our brain is capable of fully functioning on the caloric deficit. It's our believes that makes us question that over and over again. :)

Funny how that works. lol. I can focus for ages if I'm reading a good mystery novel, but put some dull history (I like history, just not the dull kind) or economics textbook in front of me and all I can think of is a snack. hahaha :smiley:

But...OP, I think the key is eating enough protein. You can still eat at your calorie level that you need for weight loss just be sure you're eating protein. Especially before you head for the library to study, or before you go to class. And try to have good quality snacks available if you need them in class or while studying -- things like almonds, or a cheese stick, etc. Save the Snickers bar for a treat later on. (Snickers is my favorite. :) )
  • myfitnessjourneyto180
    Options
    Perfect! I'll try this out. Maybe shrimps, almonds (for protein and fats(, with a low amount to prevent too much hunger and get those calories to meet the mark for the day.
  • amy93w
    amy93w Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Watch grace fit uk on youtube - she has great advice for stuying and eating well :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I always found it more difficult to keep on calorie budget when studying for a test or writing a paper. I typically cut myself quite a bit of slack during crunch times, and kept a reasonable deficit the rest of the time.